HD-DVD copy protection in tatters

Blu-Ray will be cracked shortly also. There are supposedly rumors that it has already been cracked.

Blu-Ray cracked??

Has anyone read this bs? One unknown on a HD-DVD site somewhere? What is this the X-Files?

BluRay has another level of protection that HD-DVD does not. And this is not good news if it is true by any means. Because the movie studios will immediately require HDCP to be implemented and all those HD-DVD and BluRay players out there without HDMI will be doorstops overnight. I guess this would really be bad news for the HD-DVD crowd.

HDCP would not effect this aspect of ripping because the files are being unlocked and ripped to the harddrive. If the code were turned on, it would really only mean that the device you are using for playback would require HDMI or DVI-D. The 'protected' data which was encrypted through AACS was reached and transferred. Technically this protection has not been stripped, just bypassed with an unlock key.
BD and HD-DVD both have these 2 methods of copy protection. It is only a matter of time before hackers fully crack both.

HDCP would not effect this aspect of ripping because the files are being unlocked and ripped to the harddrive. If the code were turned on, it would really only mean that the device you are using for playback would require HDMI or DVI-D. The 'protected' data which was encrypted through AACS was reached and transferred. Technically this protection has not been stripped, just bypassed with an unlock key.
BD and HD-DVD both have these 2 methods of copy protection. It is only a matter of time before hackers fully crack both.

Agreed on the last statement. Let's be honest though, how much will this affect sales? I mean DVD has been cracked for a while now and still sells fairly well.

I would think the fact that it has broken will spur HDDVD sales and interest in HDDVD.

A quick tour around some of the torrent sites found:

The.Chronicles.Of.Riddick.HD-DVD.1080p.VC-1.DDPlus.5.1.EVO
Batman.Begins.HD-DVD.1080p.VC-1.DDPlus.5.1.EVO
Pitch.Black.HD-DVD.1080p.VC-1.DDPlus.5.1.EVO

Agreed on the last statement. Let's be honest though, how much will this affect sales? I mean DVD has been cracked for a while now and still sells fairly well.

I guess the 40% reduction of DVD sales for the studios has nothing to do with this huh? When you don't pay for something you are stealing it. You are stealing from the studios, the producers, the actors, the support staff and the retailers. There is no other way to cut it -- it is theft - pure and simple.

I guess the 40% reduction of DVD sales for the studios has nothing to do with this huh? When you don't pay for something you are stealing it. You are stealing from the studios, the producers, the actors, the support staff and the retailers. There is no other way to cut it -- it is theft - pure and simple.

I do agree that copying DVDs is stealing, but what evedince is there that reduction in DVD sales are because of stealing. I would think that Netflix, and Blockbuster mail and movie pass programs have something to do with it. I would think that the increase in channels and entertainment available have something to do with it. I would think that the quality of movies the past few years would have something to do with it.

I have stopped buying DVDs because of another thing about copy protection that I have mentioned a few times. With two different stand alone DVD players, I have had to update the firmware in the players because Sony's copy protection would not work with the players. The first one I think was "House of Flying Daggers". I exchanged the movie twice, to find out it was the copy protection. I then looked online and read that one of the hack programs had been updated to rip this movie. I then called the manufacturer for the DVD player and had to wait one week while they updated the firmware, and then had to update the firmware on the player to watch the movie. I stopped purchasing and only rent because it has been such a pain.

its already cracked.

By the way it was on slashdot long ago that someone had copied an HDDVD by doing a screen capture, frame by frame, re-connecting it and synching the audio to the created video. That would be a big pain to do, but no matter how intrusive and overreaching the copy protection is, those that want to will find a way to get around it.

oh well. too bad.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts