HD DVD firmware 2.0 soon?

This is awesome! I've heard rumors about that, but this is the first independent confirmation.
For me this is the most important feature that's currently missing. More important than 1080p output!
DD+ is great, but Dolby True-HD is fantastic!

I believe it's Phantom of the Opera, Training Day, Constantine and The Perfect Storm, that have Dolby TrueHD.

Not too many, but more will come if the players will be able to decode this new format.

6 RCAs (5.1) ;)
No digital connections can support TrueHD, unless Toshiba will figure out a way to add HDMI 1.3 support with a firmware update, which I don't think is possible.
Besides, there are no AV receivers capable or processing Dolby TrueHD out there.

Ilya said:
6 RCAs (5.1) ;)
No digital connections can support TrueHD, unless Toshiba will figure out a way to add HDMI 1.3 support with a firmware update, which I don't think is possible.
Besides, there are no AV receivers capable or processing Dolby TrueHD out there.

Your joking right? So is this like asking the question about if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it does it make a sound?

Paradox-SJ said:
Your joking right? So is this like asking the question about if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it does it make a sound?
Dolby TrueHD is a new format, no one supports it yet, but this will change very soon.
The good news is that Toshiba has included the TrueHD decoder in the box! Currently it can only handle two channels, but the rumor is that the 2.0 firmware update will enable the multi-channel support! So we all will be able to hear it without any additional equipment!

Ilya said:
Dolby TrueHD is a new format, no one supports it yet, but this will change very soon.
The good news is that Toshiba has included the TrueHD decoder in the box! Currently it can only handle two channels, but the rumor is that the 2.0 firmware update will enable the multi-channel support! So we all will be able to hear it without any additional equipment!
Isnt it amazing or ironic that good old analog will now outperform all of that "you gotta have this digital optical/coax connection crap"? Im sure glad I purchased a reciever that still had 5.1 inputs.

Last edited:
vurbano said:
Isnt it amazing or ironic that good old analog will now outperform all of that "you gotta have this digital connection crap"?
The same thing happened when SACD and DVD-A came out. Analog connections made your best choice!

By the way, I am not sure that analog connections will indeed outperform other connections in HD-A1. I don't know how they are going to implement this in firmware 2.0 - it's all speculation, but it is very possible, that they will be converting TrueHD to multi-channel LPCM and sending it out over HDMI. In which case the best possible sound can be achieved by connecting an AV receiver capable of extracting LPCM out of HDMI (and I am talking about HDMI 1.1, not 1.3).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)