HD DVD Hardware and Content ``Now Playing'' at the Consumer Electronics Show; Leading

DVI and HDMI are considered the same for Next gen discs. As for this stuff about no HD from component outputs- That is one of the reasons why we don't have HD dvd or Blu ray. The decision has not been made yet.

Studios are pushing hard for no 1080 out the component port, but it has NOT been decided by either camp yet!

j5races said:
DVI and HDMI are considered the same for Next gen discs. As for this stuff about no HD from component outputs- That is one of the reasons why we don't have HD dvd or Blu ray. The decision has not been made yet.
Studios are pushing hard for no 1080 out the component port, but it has NOT been decided by either camp yet!

Am I missing something here" DVI and HDMI are considered the same".
how are they the same when they ar:confused: e different?

jbcheshire said:
Ilya,
Do you (or anyone else) use anything different than the component cables provided with the 360 to connect to your TV? I have HDMI input as well as component and was wondering if I could use it to get a better pic from the 360.

Thanks.
I don't have the XBox, but my understanding is that it does not have digital video outputs (DVI or HDMI). It only has analog outputs (component, RGB and composite). So this is your only option.

Ilya said:
I don't have the XBox, but my understanding is that it does not have digital outputs (DVI or HDMI). It only has analog outputs (component, RGB and composite). So this is your only option.

We have a cable on ours that allows component video and toslink audio.

The same in that they are both digital and will pass hdcp and let the studio's protect their content at full resolution output (1080p).

gdarwin said:
We have a cable on ours that allows component video and toslink audio.
Sorry, I meant to say it doesn't have digital video output - corrected.

charper1 said:
I think this is a bit of a stretch. At this time at least.
If something is a stretch, then this post is. Full of distortion.

1. The upper level HD DVD model (that is the most comparable to the announced Blu-Ray) is the $800 model not the entry level $500 model. AND weren't these HD DVD estimated "street prices" as opposed to MSRP?
This is a ridiculous spin: WTH is this "most comparable"?

This is completely bogus. For $499 you get an HD-DVD player, period. For twice as much you'll get a Blu-Ray one, period.

And no, they weren't. These are final prices, you can already preorder it.

2. The only MSRP on Blu-Ray I have seen yet is the overly arrogant Pioneer Elite model crap @ $1800 MSRP Elite's egotistical pricing makes Sony's pricing look cheap. No one should buy this hyped garbage. You should see $800 - $999 MSRP Blu-Rays from better companies.

Rrrriiight, which is twice as expensive as HD-DVD.

So your point is... what?

3. HD DVD made a smooth business move by waiting for Blu-Ray to make announcements first so their's would seem even better. BUT we all know this is just pure speculation until we see them on the shelf. AND things always change between now and then.

Well, it's true but Blu-Ray is easily the most laughable vaporware standard: no 50 gig discs, no durable cover, no actual 'en masse' product announced (Pio's $1,800 one is hardly a mass-level unit with its pricetag).

4. Bottom line = both versions of hardware with be within easy price reach, from one or the other and then the emphasis with shift back where it belongs; which the superior product.

This is BS and you know that. :)
As of now, even according to your own estimation, Blu-Ray players will be roughly twice as expensive as their HD-DVD counterparts.
This is today. :) What comes later, that's an entirely different story. :)

When a $499 Blu-Ray player hits the market, THEN you can claim this thing.
But until then Blu-Ray appears to be way more expensive.

5. No one can compare of claim leads or wins until a month or two on the retail floor together.

This is ridiculous assertion: we cannot compare right now because we are witing for the vaporware Blu-Ray to catch up? LOL :)
BDE is behind HD-DVD hence - anybody, who read the announcement about their (BDE) final specs just days ago, should realize this.

After many years of lip service now Blu-Ray has a lot to do within 8-10 weeks to be able to deliver their promises, so I'm really curious if they will be able to ship anything in March.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts