HD DVR Functionality

Lars

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 23, 2004
I recently moved and have had D* HD with the Tivo HD DVR and then Charter Communications HD Service with the Sci Atl 8300 HD DVR in the past. I also had Voom while it lasted as a stand alone service. I am considering Dish this time and wanted to know how the HD DVR stacks up against the two DVRs mentioned above? My wife certainly prefers the HD Tivo to the 8300HD, but learned to live with it. I want the Voom and other HD channels, what can you tell me?

Lars,

right now I have the HD Tivo, the SA 8300 HD DVR and the 622 Dish HD DVR (I also had the 942 HD DVR).

HD Tivo is all about hype. Very overated receiver that can't even get a decent program guide to load at a decent speed.

The SA 8300 HD DVR is a more rudiment DVR. But it functions as and when I hooked up a hard disk to it, I will not give it up for the hours of HD content that it gives me.

The 622 HD is a very good HD receiver. The guide loads quite quickly and the performance is quite good right out of the box. You will not be dissapointed. If I have to rate each one, I will rate this way.

622 HD DVR
HD Tivo
SA 8300

the 622 is very easy to use and it functions. If your wife got used to the 8300 the 622 will be a breeze.

Sean Mota said:
Lars,

right now I have the HD Tivo, the SA 8300 HD DVR and the 622 Dish HD DVR (I also had the 942 HD DVR).

HD Tivo is all about hype. Very overated receiver that can't even get a decent program guide to load at a decent speed.

The SA 8300 HD DVR is a more rudiment DVR. But it functions as and when I hooked up a hard disk to it, I will not give it up for the hours of HD content that it gives me.

The 622 HD is a very good HD receiver. The guide loads quite quickly and the performance is quite good right out of the box. You will not be dissapointed. If I have to rate each one, I will rate this way.

622 HD DVR
HD Tivo
SA 8300

the 622 is very easy to use and it functions. If your wife got used to the 8300 the 622 will be a breeze.

Any hope they'll ever add larger hard drives to the DVR? I, too added a SATA HDD to the 8300 and got used to having 70 hrs!

Lars said:
Any hope they'll ever add larger hard drives to the DVR? I, too added a SATA HDD to the 8300 and got used to having 70 hrs!

That is supposed to happen this fall.... but do not count on it until it is reality. ;)

I am still probably going to pull the trigger. I'll have to be more careful about what I choose to record in HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)