HD DVR install questions/problems

zapitgud

Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
Hi, I have a couple questions about installation. I am getting the HD DVR, connected to only one television. So, what hardware will be getting installed? Am I correct in thinking that it would be the 1000+ dish, with a DP44 switch and a VIP 722 box?

The reason I am asking is that the installer had some problems yesterday. He had the VIP 722 box. Based on pictures I've seen here and at dishnetwork.com the actual dish is a 1000+, although he told me it was a 500+. It has the LNB in the middle and one on each side.

Now when he was trying to go through the setup, it would bring in the 110 and 119 satellites with 105 signal strength, then he would switch to the 129 satellite and it was 0, it never got any signal at all. I noticed on the screen that it said DP34. Everything I found online says you have to use the DP44 if it's the 1000+. So, how can I find out for sure what dish it is? Am I correct in thinking that if he hooked up a DP34 to a 1000+ dish that it would work, just wouldn't pull in the 129 satellite?

Also, when we turn on the 722 it defaults to dual mode even though nothing is hooked up in the TV2 output. It also won't let us switch to single mode unless you are on the screen that shows TV1 and TV2 where you select over the air, or cable (not sure what the screen was called).

Finally, neither of the remotes will work. However, if I go to the system info screen and press a button on the TV2 remote the little TV icon flashes when you press buttons. Any ideas on why the remotes won't work?

The installer is coming out again tomorrow, and I really want to get this finished and working. Any help would be appreciated.

The dish(es) installed will depend on your location and programming choices. Sounds like you're a candidate for the 1000+ and it will have the 3 LNBs, for the 3 sat. slots it's supposed to receive. I don't know why you need an external switch at all. All switching for up to 2 receivers (up to 2 tuners each if everything is Dish Pro Plus) should be done in the LNBs (?).

I can't help much with the 722 questions.

Welcome, BTW...

thanks for the reply and welcome.

The programming I'm getting is the 250 package with the HD Package, local HDs, HBO and Showtime.

This is what the dish looks like DISH Network Dish1000+ Local High-Definition Compatible Dish Antenna (DISH1000+) | DISH1000Plus [Dish Network] | dish500plus dish500plus 500 plus dish 500+ 500 + 1000+ 1000plus 1000 + DISH1000Plus dish 1000 DPP MPEG4 MPEG-4.
Does the 500+ look exactly like the 1000+?

Also, if I'm not going to need the DP44, is the DP34 the correct switch?

I don't want to step on my installers toes, but I would like to verify that all the correct hardware is being used so we could get it buttoned down tomorrow.

I was incorrect. With the 1000+ you need the DPP44 switch because you actually have 4 LNBs on that dish and need the 4 input ports of the 44. (The "middle" LNB is actually 2.) The DP34 has only 3 inputs. Which sat. is not being received or not showing-up in your set-up screen would depend on which one was not connected. If the installer indeed used a 34 he might not have connected the 129 sat. LNB, but in that case I would think that it also would not appear in the set-up screen. How many outputs are on the LNBs? You should see 4 if it is indeed the 1000+, and there should be 4 downleads to the switch. I'm assuming that you need the 1000+ with the 4th LNB for your particular local programming. Otherwise the standard 1000 with just 3 LNBs and no external switch would probably have been installed.

129 is the most difficult slot to receive. For many customers it is low on the horizon and provides low and variable signal strength. Perhaps the dish needs to be fine tuned. You might have an option for a second wing dish pointed to 61.5. The E*12 sat. there have essentially the same HD national programming on it as E*5 at 129, but your HD locals (if any) might not be on that sat. (I'm not familiar with the 114.7 deg. slot or what locals, HD or SD only are on there.)

Thanks again, I'll look at it after work and see how many outputs it actually has. I'm just wondering if it's a mismatch of hardware that's causing the problems. I know the installer said he doesn't do very many Dish installations, mainly Directv, so that makes me wonder if maybe he grabbed the wrong parts?

I have one additional question. I don't have a home phone line so I was expecting to pay the $5 a month extra for not having a phone line. Looking around this site I saw someone mention a ethernet hookup on the 722. Does this mean that I can hookup ethernet instead of the phone line and avoid the $5 fee? If so that would be great since I have 2 ethernet outlets right behind the TV.

Yes. Search the threads for the details. There are other alternatives if you also have a VoIP connection.

Also - I'm not sure what the problem is with Single vs. Dual modes. I have a 622 and I would expect the 722 to be identical or similar in this respect. You have to use the front panel control to switch between modes. I assume you did that. Having a remote TV2 connected or not should not make any difference. Regardless, this feature makes no difference to TV1 except that you must be in the Single mode to use PIP. Re: your remote controls, are the addresses correct? Check your User's Guide (it's in Chapter 10 for the 622, not sure for the 722) for the procedure for verifying/changing the addresses. Also make sure the UHF antenna is installed into the correct jack and the antenna is "in the clear" (not blocked or touching anything). Of course that is only for the TV2 remote.

Good luck with it all and do report back...!

you can hook up ethernet instead of phone to avoi the $5 fee for not having it hooked up to a phone line. Keep in mind that you won't see caller ID info on screen if there's no phone line hooked up. there might be other features as well but I can't remember right now.

This might help with what dish you have.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...st-look-dish-500-dish-1000-dish-1000-2-a.html

I have the 1000.2 and have no switch. The RG6 goes right to the LNB where I can hook up 3 dual tuner receivers. It's good for 110, 119, and 129 so maybe he could switch you to that and you wouldn't need a switch if it works for your location.

You will love the 722 once you get it working.

Good luck.

Thanks guys, I'll get the ethernet hooked up to avoid the fee for sure.

The installer didn't go through any setup for the remotes, so I'll look it up in the manual and go through the setup to see if it fixes the remotes. He said they didn't need setup, I really think he's just not very familiar with the receiver.

Of course the main problem is that it won't pickup the 129 satellite, hopefully he can get it working saturday.

This might help with what dish you have.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...st-look-dish-500-dish-1000-dish-1000-2-a.html

I have the 1000.2 and have no switch. The RG6 goes right to the LNB where I can hook up 3 dual tuner receivers. It's good for 110, 119, and 129 so maybe he could switch you to that and you wouldn't need a switch if it works for your location.

You will love the 722 once you get it working.

Good luck.

Thanks, I looked at that link last night and I'm positive the dish on my chimney looks exactly like the 1000+, even though the installer says I have the 500+. That's what lead me to believe we need to put the DP44 instead of the DP34, and that maybe that's the reason we couldn't get any signal on 129.

A dish 500+ sees 110,119, and 118. The dish 1000+ see 110,119, 118, and 129. If your supposed to have 129 its a dish 1000+ and needs a dpp44 switch. the 129 is the other lnb on the left side of the middle FSS lnb. A dish 500+ can use a DP34 but you would need 2 cables to your 722 that way. Sounds like your installer has no idea what to use. You must use a DPP44 switch for a Dish 1000+

The 500+ and the 1000+ are basically the same EXCEPT one difference. You have to add an LNB to the Dish to pick up 129. It is with the addition of this LNB that a 500+ becomes a 1000+. The installer is probably calling it a 500+ because that is the base nomenclature of this dish before addition of the 129 LNB.

Now, with the HD setup you are going for, that dish has to have a dual LNB on both sides of the fatter LNB in the middle. Each of those sidecar LNBs have to have one wire run to the switch and the middle LNB has to have two wires run. There will be a total of four wires run to a DPP44. NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS FACT. If he tries to install it with one of the LNBs missing or with a DP34 instead of a DPP44, ask for someone else.

If the switch test is only pulling 119 and 110, I think he hasn't put in the other dual LNB AND he only ran one line from the fat LNB, treating it like a regular dual. Count how many wires run from the dish to the LNB and report back here.

DISH500Plus.jpg
500+

DISH1000Plus.jpg
1000+ dish

thanks for the help, the installer called and said that it does need the DPP44 instead of the DP34, but he can't get it until monday morning. I was positive it was the 1000+ based on the LNBs it has. So, Monday he will be coming out with a DPP44 to finish the installation.

Now, I have 2 questions about the DPP44.

1. How many wires will have to be run from the DPP44 to the VIP 722? From what I can tell it should only be 1 wire?

2. Where does the power supply need to be hooked up? Does it have to be hooked up outside close to the DPP44? If so, I'm going to have to figure out how to get power to it. Or can it be hooked up on the inside of the house in my media closet?

Thanks again for the help guys. This installer is a real nice guy and I'm not in a huge rush since my cable isn't disconnected yet, so I'm going to let him work through it to get it all figured out.

DPP44 only needs one wire to 722 when using a separator at the receiver. The receiver includes one in the packaging, so should be no problem. The power inserter can go right by the receiver. Technically, it can go inline at any point between the receiver and the switch. It can also be installed on its own line that doesn't have a receiver. I would not install the power inserter outside as it isn't in a weatherproof housing. Switch can be outside. Make sure all cables going into the switch come from below. You don't want water dripping down the coax and into the connectors.

It'll be easy to put the power inserter in my media closet. Thanks for all the help guys, I'll let you know how the install goes tomorrow.

Thanks guys, I'll get the ethernet hooked up to avoid the fee for sure.

The installer didn't go through any setup for the remotes, so I'll look it up in the manual and go through the setup to see if it fixes the remotes. He said they didn't need setup, I really think he's just not very familiar with the receiver.

Of course the main problem is that it won't pickup the 129 satellite, hopefully he can get it working saturday.
Ten to one he has it pointed too far east and is getting the 119 bird on the 129 LNB and the 110 bird on the 119 LNB and the 110 LNB is aimed at zip.

BTW, that plus what you said about remotes not working leads me to say that this guy isn't sharpest knife in the drawer and you may either have to learn more than him and hold his hand through this or call for another installer. I'd say something like "This is a really nice guy and it could just be me but I think he is getting this all messed up and I sure don't want to have to deal with Dish over this so can you just send another guy to check out his work?" and "If I'm wrong I'll apologize to him but I got to do what I think is right."

well, where do I start?
Last night the installer was out at my house from 5pm to 11pm getting the Dish lined up correctly after adding the new DPP44 switch. It was a pain to get the 129 and 118 satellites, he would barely move it and it would spike up to 88 signal for a brief second, then to 0. Finally we got it locked in with about 60 on teh 129 and 118 satellites, and 100 or so on the 119 and 110. So, I'm happy with the effort the installer went through to get this working, now on to Dish customer service.

I originally signed up for dish through dishnetwork.com. The installer came out and said he couldn't do Chimney mounts, so I called and cancelled the account. A couple days later I found the local retailer/installer that would do the chimney mount. So, after all the install problems we finally got all satellites in the green. Time to get the receiver authorized. It took no less than 10 calls over the past 5 days to get the account setup. When the installer was out last thursday, he said that it wouldn't let him submit the new account online since the old account was showing up, even though it was cancelled. He tried calling multiple times over the past few days and Customer service always ended the calls with "It should be setup now" or something to that effect.

Last night after everything was lined up and ready to go, he called them again. For some reason they couldn't get it to work so he said he would call again today. He called me this morning and told me he tried again and dish said that the credit card was declined, I knew this was Bullsh!t, but I just gave him another card, they said it was declined also. Now I've been pretty patient through the whole install, and I'm determined to get Dish working now even after the installer offered to remove it all and put up Directv. So, I first tried the online chat; useless. They had no clue how to fix it. So, I called in and finally got someone that understood that he couldn't fix the problem so he transferred me to Executive Services or something like that.

Finally the girl that I got apparently knew what she was doing, she called the retailer and got all my information, and after being on hold for 20 minutes or so, she came back and said I was good to go. I headed home from work to check it out, and sure enough it's working now (well mostly). I start looking through the channels and notice that I don't get Showtime/HBO or my local channels. Called the retailer and she called dish for me and got my local channels working. I still don't have Showtime and HBO but I should be able to call and get them turned on this afternoon.

Also, I hooked up the ethernet connection and it's working fine. The only problem now other than Showtime and HBO is that the IR Remote doesn't work. I got the TV2 RF remote to work by changing to Single Mode (it was defaulting to Dual Mode).

If I wasn't so fed up with Time Warner Cable, I wouldn't have gone through all this hassle, hopefully now that it's working, it'll be worth it.

Sorry for the long post, just figured I would update the guys that were helping me out.