HD Enabling fee - $6 starting Feb 1st - If you dont have qualifying HD programming

jeffwtux said:
Wait, is ths $6 if you don't subscribe to AT60 or $6 if you don't take the HD pak? Why would you get a 211 if you didn't want HD programming?
I'm confused also....it doesn't take much. But, why have a HD receiver without having the HD pack on there already. I guess this is aimed at people that have cancelled the HD pack and still receive programming from dish. Seems like another way to make some cash to me. I'm a Directv sub and I dropped the HD pack from my package. That means under the new Dish rule I would have to pay an extra 6 bucks a mth to keep the Hd receiver active? Sounds like bad news to me. Nothing suprises me though.

It isn't that hard to understand. Dish wants all customers to eventually have one of two receivers, a 211 or a 622 and all customers to upgrade to HD. You can fully expect over the next year that existing MPEG2 receivers will start to "act up" - probably following software downloads.

6 dollars to enable an HD reciever? Isnt that why you buy an HD reciever instead of an SD one? And they wonder why some people steal service :rolleyes:

I think you guys are blowing this WAY out of proportion here.

I agree with Walt the reason for the fee is because it seems like the 211/411 will be the base receiver so eventually a ton of new customers will have this receiver but may not have an HDTV.

I think the fee is SIMPLY to activate the OTA HD Tuner if you don't subscribe to the HD Pack. Otherwise pay nothing and you get no HD neither OTA nor through E*. This is my understanding of the fee so why is everyone bent out of shape???

Makes no sense to pay E* to use an OTA tuner to recieve something thats Free OTA. Ridiculous!! especially if YOU own the reciever. DISH is NOT bringing you OTA. Why pay them? Thats like paying Ford 6 dollars to activate your FM tuner in your car :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reefer123 said:
I agree with Walt the reason for the fee is because it seems like the 211/411 will be the base receiver so eventually a ton of new customers will have this receiver but may not have an HDTV.
I think the fee is SIMPLY to activate the OTA HD Tuner if you don't subscribe to the HD Pack. Otherwise pay nothing and you get no HD neither OTA nor through E*. This is my understanding of the fee so why is everyone bent out of shape???
We will have to agree to disagree....I feel that if you have a 211 and you don't want the HD pack for some reason, there should be no penalty. A 6 buck charge to activate the OTA HD Tuner? It's just crazy to think they could charge for ch's that they don't even provide. My gosh ...what's next.

I guess what Dish is looking at is this way. The receivers they sell for their service are satellite receivers first, OTA receivers second. The receivers primary function is to receive a subscription DBS service provided by Dish. That is the ONLY thing the receiver was meant to do. So why give away any of the service including the EPG, which is a cost for Dish to create. The Dish HD receivers have to be hooked to a LNB feed pointed at the Dish satellite to work even for OTA purposes.

I see the argument both ways on this but would have to say the scales of justice are in Dish's

waltinvt said:
It isn't that hard to understand. Dish wants all customers to eventually have one of two receivers, a 211 or a 622 and all customers to upgrade to HD. You can fully expect over the next year that existing MPEG2 receivers will start to "act up" - probably following software downloads.
I can't remember where but last week I read a post either here or "the other" forum from someone who was using a unsubed 811 for OTA which then failed to do so following the software "upgrade" to 3.34. Maybe it's already begun!:rolleyes:

vinnyv07 said:
We will have to agree to disagree....I feel that if you have a 211 and you don't want the HD pack for some reason, there should be no penalty. A 6 buck charge to activate the OTA HD Tuner? It's just crazy to think they could charge for ch's that they don't even provide. My gosh ...what's next.

They may not be providing the OTA channels but they are going to charge you if you want to use their equipment to retrieve it.

For the life of me I can't understand why so many people here just don't get it. Dish exists for one purpose and one purpose only - to take as many $$ from you as they can possibly get away with. They've never been any different, they're just a little more obvious now.

Dish DOES NOT want you to watch OTA, they want you to watch Dish Network satellite channels.

The only reason they started putting OTA tuners in their receivers was because of competition but it's always been a "give with one hand, take away with the other hand" kind of deal.

The 942 is / was a classic example:
Only one OTA tuner.
No live OTA to TV # 2.
No OTA guide info unless you PAY for Dish's locals package.
Not as strong a digital OTA tuner.

So now they're going to be up-front about it and charge you for their OTA benifits - either by a direct fee or incorperated in their HD programing price.

Stargazer said:
Cable charges you a remote control fee per month, at least Charter does. I think its like $2.00 or $3.00.

Right, so I can just get one, program my multi-remote then send it back, saving the monhtly fee, let alone it's barely a dollar IIRC (was $0.75 at one of the most disgustin cable providers, TWCNYC last summer).

I agree with the post above, cable started looking better and better, week by week.

Reefer123 said:

Your understanding is quite wrong. When you get this receivewr, it's paid in full, so I really don't get your point... why the f*ck Dish should get a single cent for not providing sh*t when I'm receiving OTA only?

vurbano said:
Makes no sense to pay E* to use an OTA tuner to recieve something thats Free OTA. Ridiculous!! especially if YOU own the reciever. DISH is NOT bringing you OTA. Why pay them? Thats like paying Ford 6 dollars to activate your FM tuner in your car :rolleyes:

Exactly.

Reefer123 said:
Ok so would it make you happier if E* didn't incorporate an OTA tuner, and "force" you to purchase an ATSC STB???

Oh man... then this unit should be cheaper. And then yes, I'd be happier, to be honest.

FYI: I'm subscribing the HD-Lite pack, so I'm not even affected by this but I find it outrageous, another disgusting greedy corporate ripoff from Charlie and his bastards.

Is this a one time fee or a monthly $6 fee? If it only costs six bucks one time to turn on OTA then it may not be that big of a deal. I waste way more than that on beer and donuts than I should. But I can see where this could upset some folks. I use the OTA tuner on my 50" sxrd and it does a MUCH better job at pulling in the stations than my 811 ever did. Man, these STB's are really starting to complicate things lately.
Bubba04

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)