HD Enabling Fee

Fox McCloud

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
Now that my dreams of owning a fee-free PVR 721 have gone up in smokes, and a DVR-fee free 921 as well...

Is there any way to avoid the $7 "HD Enabling fee" on a HD-DVR? (besides getting an HD package obviously, as the current package I have [Family package] is not HD capable :().

Also, are there any other current DVRs on the market that I can avoid the DVR and the "programming access fee" with that Dish will still activate?

All the older HD receivers I do not believe dish would activate unless you had one of the old HD packages. For the HD packs now only the VIP receivers will work (MPEG4) and unless you have HD you will get dinged the enabling fee. You will get charged the DVR fee no matter what unless you have the AEP package.

Just take the 10.00 essentials hd pack and you will get all hd channels that are in your programming pack. IT is a much better option than paying 7.00 to NOT have any hd. HD is the near future so you might as well go with it along with better picture quality.

Yes it was on the list and falls into the same boat. They wont activate it for you unless you already have the older HD programming packages and you wont get any mpeg4 HD stuff.

Just take the 10.00 essentials hd pack and you will get all hd channels that are in your programming pack. IT is a much better option than paying 7.00 to NOT have any hd. HD is the near future so you might as well go with it along with better picture quality.

You obviously didn't read all my post; I said I have the Family Package and it's not HD Capable. While I really like watching HD, I'm an ultra fiscal-conservative, so I'm going to try to save money anywhere possible; upping my package to an HD capable one (or going with the HD-only package), while nice, will cost more than my current package. (which I currently pay $32.76 right now, thanks to the nonsense $5.00 "programming access fee"; seriously, why do they need your receiver connected to a phone lin?).

I think it's awfully convenient that Dish didn't update the software on the DVR's that don't have a DVR or Programming Access Fee; not only do they get to throw the injunction up in TiVo's face, but they get to raise their profit margins a tad.

Last edited:
You obviously didn't read all my post; I said I have the Family Package[/i] and it's not HD Capable. While I really like watching HD, I'm an ultra fiscal-conservative, so I'm going to try to save money anywhere possible; upping my package to an HD capable one (or going with the HD-only package), while nice, will cost more than my current package. (which I currently pay $32.76 right now, thanks to the nonsense $5.00 "programming access fee"; seriously, why do they need your receiver connected to a phone lin?).

I think it's awfully convenient that Dish didn't update the software on the DVR's that don't have a DVR or Programming Access Fee; not only do they get to throw the injunction up in TiVo's face, but they get to raise their profit margins a tad.
Dish 501 & 508 DVRs do not have a DVR fee they are single tuners but still work quite well for DISH SD reception.

You obviously didn't read all my post; I said I have the Family Package[/i] and it's not HD Capable. While I really like watching HD, I'm an ultra fiscal-conservative, so I'm going to try to save money anywhere possible; upping my package to an HD capable one (or going with the HD-only package), while nice, will cost more than my current package. (which I currently pay $32.76 right now, thanks to the nonsense $5.00 "programming access fee"; seriously, why do they need your receiver connected to a phone lin?).

IF you have an internet connection you can use it to connect your 622/722/612 dvrs to the internet and it will prevent you from paying the $5.00 no phone connection fee. Then if you upgrade to just the hd pack & locals it will be $34.99 a month + the dvr fee of 5.98 =$40.97. ANy new hd channels will be added to the hd pack as they are added. IT seems to me this is a very good deal and you will get the most for your money in glorious hd. Some new channels supposedly coming soon are :

Abc family
Amc
Bet
biography
Bravo
Cartoon network
Cmt hd
Disney hd
Espn news
Hbo 2 -if you sub to Hbo
Ifc
Mgm
MTV hd
MOre Max- if you sub to Cinemax or have the 1 cent deal
Nickelodeon hd
Smithsonian hd
Tennis channel
Starz edge -if you sub to Starz
Toon Disney
Weather channel hd
VH1 hd
Wgn superstation in hd

This will give you a well rounded bunch of hd channels from all programming packs to add to the already 41 hd channels and your locals in hd if available. All at the low 29.99 price . I think this will give you the most for your money in hd.

For one, I wouldn't get locals, since I can get all my locals, minus PBS (which only broadcasts in HD on Friday night for 1-2 shows) in HD.

Also, as I said, I'm looking to save money, not spend more;

I currently pay: $32.76 (this is with tax)
If I go with the HD-only package: $38.05

A net loss of $5.29 per month($63.48 total in a year).

Nice suggestion, but, again, you didn't obviously read the parameters that I provided (ie: fiscal ultra-conservative and wanting to save money, not spend more).

If I could convince Dish to give me the HD-only package for $24.99 a month, then I'd consider it, but I doubt they're going to give me $60 a year just to keep me as a customer.

Plus, there's still the fact of having to pay around $400 for a new HD-DVR, which would still put me in the hole at a net loss of $33.33 a month---ouch (for a year).

Nice suggestion, but, again, you didn't obviously read the parameters that I provided (ie: fiscal ultra-conservative and wanting to save money, not spend more).

Drop the pay TV service and go with OTA. Net monthly cost $0.:)

You like parameters? How 'bout these parameters.

- Matt Damon, in Good Will Hunting

I think that ota would be your best option if you are looking to cut cost. Use your 40.00 government coupon and buy you a good converter box if you don't already have an hdtv with a digital tuner. ANd NO I didn't read the parameters of your first post. I was trying to provide you with the best economical option for hd pack only with a dual tuner dvr. OTA would be the best option if you don't want to spend any money.

Now that my dreams of owning a fee-free PVR 721 have gone up in smokes, and a DVR-fee free 921 as well...
Don't let missed deals influence your current thinking. BTW, the 921 always incurred a DVR fee.
Also, are there any other current DVRs on the market that I can avoid the DVR and the "programming access fee" with that Dish will still activate?
I don't know of any DVR that either doesn't cost an arm and a leg up front (computer based DVRs) or has a monthly fee. Some (ie TiVo) are much higher than others.

Being fiscally responsible means getting the best value, not necessarily paying the lowest price.

Being a tightwad is an art form and often has little to do with saving money as anyone with an FTA setup will attest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts