HD Extender

shodobe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
NorCal
I was thinking of getting a 211K for a new HD unit I got instead of using the TV2 for input. I just saw something on the Dish website about an extender. What is this and when is it going to be available? Looks like it could be better than having a recievr, but what about costs? Thanks

I think the OP is talking about the bottom most future product here. If I understand what it is, it's most like an HD version of the Slingcatcher. There are no disks inside.

Exactlly, has nothing to do with EHD. Does it convert the TV2 signal from SD to HD for some reason.

Does it convert the TV2 signal from SD to HD for some reason.
No of course not! The TV2 tuner is an HD tuner. The existing TV2 outputs are only SD, but internally the HD stream is there, whether it's coming off disk or direct from the satellite. The OP was talking about the HD Extender, which of course doesn't have anything to do with TV2 at all.

But a related device does. At least, according to reports during CES, the TV Everywhere Adapter uses a single USB connection to take in the encrypted data stream, decrypts it, transcodes it, re-encrypts it, and sends it back over the same USB connection into the receiver for streaming out the Ethernet jack. :eek:

According to the 922 beta testers, the sling stream has at one time or another been locked onto the TV1 output and now the TV2 output. So, at least for the 922, this is software-selectable and currently using TV2 (as opposed to a TV3 output we heard of a year ago). Now if anybody has heard that the TV Everywhere Adapter is going to work off the TV2 outputs of existing VIP receivers, I haven't seen that specified.

It comes out of the USB and will be coming out after the 922 comes out. It is a type of sling catcher.
:confused: What comes out of the USB? The Extender is supposed to work off WiFi. Are you talking about the TV Everywhere Adapter too?

I believe it was the last Tech Forum when they said that the "K" series ViP's have the necessary hardware built-in to allow those devices to work just by connecting to the STB's (Scott has reported that the "K" series are almost identical to the inside of the 922). The video that was played made it clear that it was the "K" boxes that would work without any other external equipment. Just plug it in and go. The "K''s" will also be able to stream HD via Ethernet if a TV has Flash enabled. One has to wonder how Dish will make this work with the non-K ViP's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)