HD Free For Life (reg $10)

How about Les Moonves for starters.If you have read some of his comments,wouldn't you agree he is being greedy?How about Charlie Ergen,saying we fight to keep your bills lower,then keep piling on higher rates,$5-$15 per month in consecutive years.Sure sounds like greed to me.

or an attempt to stay afloat.... ;)

How about Les Moonves for starters.If you have read some of his comments,wouldn't you agree he is being greedy?How about Charlie Ergen,saying we fight to keep your bills lower,then keep piling on higher rates,$5-$15 per month in consecutive years.Sure sounds like greed to me.

So, assume $10 profit per $100 bill. That may be on the high side. That is about 10%. Is that greed? It would mean it costs Dish $90 to
Provide you what you want and get $10 on top. In what universe is that greed? The Hyperbole Universe?

It may sound like greed but I would have to know exactly why rates had to go up. If Charlie's expenses went up $5-$15 per subscriber would you say he's being greedy passing that onto us?

The only way I find it greedy is if a company keeps raising rates even though their expenses do not increase just because they want to make more money. Do you truly feel that's what Charlie is doing? I can't say much about Moonves other than I don't care much for him.

I don't have to assume anything.Both Les Moonves and Charlie Ergen are 2 of the richest men in America.You can't take it with you.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I don't have to assume anything.Both Les Moonves and Charlie Ergen are 2 of the richest men in America.You can't take it with you.

That's true but if that's your thinking then every rich person is considered greedy. You're logic would mean that Buffet and Gates are greedy. I'm not saying your wrong, maybe Charlie is greedy, but I have no proof that he truly is just because he's rich.

I'm not saying that scherrman.Dish the low cost leader, dish we fight to keep your bills lower, dish the hd leader, statements such as those, followed by steep increases, with no added value, to me that constitutes greed.It would truly be different if there was added value, or not so signifigant increases, but that's not the case.

I'm not saying that scherrman.Dish the low cost leader, dish we fight to keep your bills lower, dish the hd leader, statements such as those, followed by steep increases, with no added value, to me that constitutes greed.It would truly be different if there was added value, or not so signifigant increases, but that's not the case.

That's a tough one to argue. That's just marketing though and one of the reasons I despise marketing. Marketing is like a big game, and a dirty game at that.

Teehar, you're falling into the same fallacy that Mike has...yes, Dish prices have increased at a much faster rate than inflation, but who is to say how much of the increases is Charlie's doing or the content providers? Well, if you believe the SEC reports, (whether you believe them or not, at least comparing apples to apples) Dish's profit margins are much much lower than the major content owners that supply them (and much lower than their largest competitors).

I'm not saying that scherrman.Dish the low cost leader,
Is there a cheaper option than Dish?
dish we fight to keep your bills lower...
As in the rate of increase. Almost every provider is fighting every new contract with the Networks.
dish the hd leader
BS. Absolute marketing BS.
statements such as those, followed by steep increases,
Steep increases where? If the increases with the Dish bill bother you this much, you must be losing it over the health care premiums.
with no added value
That would be a network issue, not a Dish issue. Though, it could be noted that new channels do exist. Access to On Demand stuff has increased as well, like HBO Go.
to me that constitutes greed.It would truly be different if there was added value, or not so signifigant increases, but that's not the case.
You are whining about Dish, when the biggest offender are the Networks. Fox asking for more even when they lost programming on their sports channels and want more money for more channels despite that meaning they are diluting their programing quality. Or Disney asking for more because they over bid for college football and MNF. That isn't Ergen's doing.

Teehar, you're falling into the same fallacy that Mike has...yes, Dish prices have increased at a much faster rate than inflation, but who is to say how much of the increases is Charlie's doing or the content providers? Well, if you believe the SEC reports, (whether you believe them or not, at least comparing apples to apples) Dish's profit margins are much much lower than the major content owners that supply them (and much lower than their largest competitors).

Call it a fallacy if you want.

but who is to say how much of the increases is Charlie's doing or the content providers

To hear Charlie tell it,it's all the content providers fault,which I mostly agree with.What I don't agree with is Dish dropping channels,events,moving channels to the 9000 block,for nothing more than vindictiveness,followed by the we fight to keep your bills lower,only to have 2 consecutive years of huge increases.Somehow I don't have the feeling that Charlie isn't at fault as well.You can't talk out of both sides of your mouth.I've been a big supporter of Dish and Charlie for many years,but it's getting harder continue being a big supporter.

The problem is that everyone has different TV watching habits and equipment needs. No single strategy is going to work for everyone.

For me the local cable company beats Dish in price. Even after the new customer deals are over, they are still cheaper because of the bundle price with internet. But, that is only for my viewing habits (the basic package has all the channels I watch), and my equipment needs (I have 2 cable cards).

If my situation changes, I will consider changing back to Dish, or perhaps DIRECTV. But, cable is different in every location, even with the same cable company (i.e. my TWC does not offer the same lineup in other cities, and has different pricing).

I'll bet that many of the "outlet fees" are coded into the contracts with channel providers...if you have many viewers in a single household, the channels want their piece of the viewership, in addition to just the carriage fee from a particular programming package. There is a somewhat rhyme or reason to the fees, which is a combination of # of tuners, and # of outlets. The fact that all MVPDs do this lends me to believe that all these fees are not all going directly into the MVPDs pocket, that the providers demand it.

Could be . I never thought about that aspect .

Please don't tell everyone that a company is gouging people when you have no idea what kind of margins they make or how their business operates. This is where I get very upset with people who do not run a business. This is very similar to people who like to tells other how do do things even though they have no experience themselves. It's like me saying I could be a better coach for the Iowa Hawkeyes than Kirk Ferentz.

Put yourself in their shoes before you criticize too much. Extra fees are a part of every business whether you know it or not. We sell TVs and appliances along with Dish and I have to find ways to make a profit with the very slim margins we have. We charge $10 to $20 for disposal of appliances and TVs even though it's doesn't cost us anything. We also charge $10 for someone to rent out an appliance mover. A business has to find ways to make a profit or else what's the point?

I'm not against companies making profit. I just don't want the customers who subscribe to their service to have to pay so much to enhance their bottom lines. I have worked in Business world since I was 16 and have an associate degree in business. I have also had accounting and know how companies can show on their business reports to show profits and losses any way they need to in order to save on taxes etc. Please don't assume because you work in this business that you are the only one who has had any experience in the business world. It looks very condescending . You also have a reason for a lot of your bias in favor of this company and their profits. You work and sell their stuff. I have had DISH for over 17 years now and I can tell you that as the years have passed , they no longer seem focused on growing and expanding their base of customers, other than the wireless think they can't seem to get a handle on . They seem focused only on making more profits at the expense of the remaining customers they have with these ever increasing FEES that they come up with.

There are plenty of people that love to watch sports and ESPN but could not afford to pay for those channels a la carte. The way it's bundled now is the only affordable way for some people to get the most popular channels with ESPN. The Smart Pack would probably be the most popular package if it included ESPN.

And there are plenty of people like me ,who do not like or want to pay to subsidize these over grown bad boys who play football and their obscene salaries .

And there are plenty of people like me ,who do not like or want to pay to subsidize these over grown bad boys who play football and their obscene salaries .
You are like me in that regard. :)

But ultimately you have money in your hand and its up to you to decide where that money goes. :)

I'm not against companies making profit. I just don't want the customers who subscribe to their service to have to pay so much to enhance their bottom lines. I have worked in Business world since I was 16 and have an associate degree in business. I have also had accounting and know how companies can show on their business reports to show profits and losses any way they need to in order to save on taxes etc. Please don't assume because you work in this business that you are the only one who has had any experience in the business world. It looks very condescending . You also have a reason for a lot of your bias in favor of this company and their profits. You work and sell their stuff. I have had DISH for over 17 years now and I can tell you that as the years have passed , they no longer seem focused on growing and expanding their base of customers, other than the wireless think they can't seem to get a handle on . They seem focused only on making more profits at the expense of the remaining customers they have with these ever increasing FEES that they come up with.

I'll agree that it doesn't seem they have tried hard on improving their program packaging at all but I would have to disagree that they haven't been trying to grow and expand. It's getting very hard in this industry to grow and expand right now. If you could go to Team Summit and listen to Charlie speak about what his goal is with this company and what he envisions in the future then I think you'd change you mind. I think it's been much harder than Charlie was expecting. A lot of what TV has become now Charlie predicted years ago. He knew it was going to be more mobile and broadband based and he's been trying to position Dish to take advantage of it.

Look at what Dish has done in the last 4 years. They have improved their brand greatly. They came out with the Hopper system. They have the Sling technology built into their receivers so you can watch your TV anywhere. They allow you to transfer recordings onto a tablet. They allow you to have multiple EHDs for archiving shows. They are adding more apps to the system. They have been trying to get into the cellular business. They are releasing new models of Joeys to improve the Hopper system. They listened to customer complaints and are now giving you the ability to have a 5 tuner Hopper.

Obviously some of these features are not perfect yet but to say Dish is not trying to grow and expand just seem far from correct. Too me the last 4 years have been some of the most exciting when it comes to equipment and features. The problem is that with all these added features there is added cost.

I've been a big supporter of Dish and Charlie for many years,but it's getting harder continue being a big supporter.
I've never been a big supporter of any company...but I am a supporter of facts and logic. If Charlie truly were just as to blame as the content owners, then there would be evidence of it in the company profits. According to reports, Dish's profit margins have remained pretty much low (relative to competitors, and much more relative to content owners) and constant over the years (2011 windfall not withstanding)

The only way we'll ever see that is if an ala carte option is forced on the providers and distributors, either through legislation or consumer pressure (enough people cutting the cord).

ONe in Hd and one in Sd. I have had the 722k before and it worked good ,but the hopper is much much better. I just don't want to pay out the ass for it monthly.
So you think something that is better shouldn't cost more (it is my understanding that the Hopper is quite unto its own company)? Should we up the price on the Smart Pack so that Top 250 is less expensive?
I'm not against companies making profit. I just don't want the customers who subscribe to their service to have to pay so much to enhance their bottom lines. I have worked in Business world since I was 16 and have an associate degree in business.
Careful everyone. He's packing an associate's degree in Business, so he must know his stuff. To be fair, I'd have similar condemnation for someone bragging about a bachelor's degree in Business as well.
I have also had accounting and know how companies can show on their business reports to show profits and losses any way they need to in order to save on taxes etc. Please don't assume because you work in this business that you are the only one who has had any experience in the business world. It looks very condescending . You also have a reason for a lot of your bias in favor of this company and their profits. You work and sell their stuff.
And if I'm not mistaken, Dish Network pom poms are designed and sold by Scherrman as well.
I have had DISH for over 17 years now and I can tell you that as the years have passed , they no longer seem focused on growing and expanding their base of customers, other than the wireless think they can't seem to get a handle on . They seem focused only on making more profits at the expense of the remaining customers they have with these ever increasing FEES that they come up with.
This would be a good point because you have an associates degree in Business and in conjunction with having subscribed to Dish for so long, we know your opinion must be based on ardent truth.

Over the last 17 years, Dish hasn't added a single channel, updated and released better equipment, not once offered a free preview for a single channel, given out offers for free upgrades (with contract extension), transitioned to HD, continue to expand a varying array of packages to match many different budgets, or expand into the new world to offer streaming content.

In the last 17 years, the only thing they have done is raise their rates and fees. And they killed Kenny too!

Help determining proper equipment, please

I have some questions about the Hopper please

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)