HD goes to SD

Templeton0543

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
Central California
I have a Hopper w/sling. Being disabled I end up watching a lot of tv, today as I was watching Fox News the feed dropped from HD to SD three times. Channel briefly went black and came back with a notification of HD signal loss in SD, I changed to another channel and came back to FN and it was HD....for awhile. I also noticed earlier this morning a couple of channels, can't remember which, also showed SD as I cruised through.
Weather is fine here, checked signal and it is also fine. Also hasn't done it in the time I've been here posting this.
Questions are: anyone else noticing this? Is my Hopper possessed by an evil spirit?:eeek

signal strength on the transponders that have the HD channels..if the hopper gets a weak signal it switched automatically to the SD alternative (most Dish receivers do this now)

Reactions: brad1138
Usually signal loss on HD channels causing the fall back to SD channels indicates a problem with signal loss. It is not always a weather problem. A problem with cables and connectors could be an unseen problem. If your problem continues call DISH for a service call it could even be a receiver dieing.

I have been on a lot of service calls regarding this. I always replace the LNB if needed, replace cable run from LNB to node/hub/ground block, verify signals run limit scan on meter, run check switch.
Replace unapproved fittings, cable in the system, and check if your tuners are all working.
If all is not good and all replaced outside including switches, nodes, I'll replace received for sat signal.

Mine does this whenever we have really bad weather. Maybe once a year then goes back to normal in 15 min. Low signal i think on hd channels so switching to sd.

I have been on a lot of service calls regarding this. I always replace the LNB if needed, replace cable run from LNB to node/hub/ground block, verify signals run limit scan on meter, run check switch.
Replace unapproved fittings, cable in the system, and check if your tuners are all working.
If all is not good and all replaced outside including switches, nodes, I'll replace received for sat signal.

When the installer came to do the Hopper about a year and a half ago he replaced everything. I have not been home much today but it hasn't done it while watching this evening.
MAYBE it's gone.

This happens a lot at the wee hours for the last 2 weeks, at least. It has also been happening at other hours, but it aint my system, it is Dish. This also happens when Dish is tweaking things. My guess is that Dish/Echo engineers are still tweaking with the encoders and whatever else with the recent change at WA going all 8PSK. It is Dish engineering messing about, IMHO, especially with how very quickly the HD signal returns.

Reactions: Troch77
The green, tall kind...?
I am pointing out in a subtle way that leaves can block satellite signals. Because btscot mentioned that his signal gets very weak in Spring/Summer but is fine during Fall/Winter the first place he should look is the direction of his dish in relation to trees that have leaves.

I am pointing out in a subtle way that leaves can block satellite signals. Because btscot mentioned that his signal gets very weak in Spring/Summer but is fine during Fall/Winter the first place he should look is the direction of his dish in relation to trees that have leaves.
I understand I was just having fun :drunk

I can testify to the veracity of that statement. When I first started with Dish, I did my own instllation. It was absolutely perfect :D and worked great in winter. Then the trees leafed out and I lost 119. To this day I am shocked that the look angle was what it really was. :( I never had a problem with 61.5, but I did have two dishes mounted in the wrong place. So I moved them from the back of the house to the front and did it all over again. That was the first of many moves I have done to my Dish antennas, and I never had a single leak.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts