HD in the US?

MCIBUS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 2, 2005
Bell Fibe TV Land
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question?

Living in Canada we don't have access to US Cable, Verzion, companies like that either then Dish or Direct.-Grey Market

I presently have DISH(The everything package $99 US or something like that). I know you get certain HD nets if have the SD version HBO,Cimax channels like that, while others you have to pay for.

I always see the ads for cable stating you get HD for "free", I'm assuming if you have the Movie networks you'd get the HD version for free. But what about the other channels SCI-FI HD, Discovery HD, etc. Channels like that are these considered free or do you have to pay for them

Generally, cable companies put local channels on the coax, unencrypted, in HD. Many cable companies also don't charge an extra service fee for HD versions of cable networks, if you have a specific level of service or better.

So that's typically what "HD for free" refers to.

Note that "HD for free" generally equates to matter of unfairness to folks who don't have HDTVs: They're basically paying the same as people getting a substantially better service. So while a lot of HDTV owners like the idea of "HD for free", we should keep in mind that it isn't universally a good thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)