HD Lite again...

gutter said:
I hate to say it but I think you are a dreamer if you really believe that. When DISH started broacasting the VOOM channels. I thought that all the channels looked better then they did on the old VOOM DBS. Now they are all worse. I think it is called bate and switch. They threw out the bate of full HD and then after we were suckered in..they made a switch. A tactic worthy of David Copperfield.

I am just plain pissed.

Dont worry... Good things are to come for those who wait a few weeks.. :)

RandallA said:
What I meant to say is:

In reality, Dish Network hasn't changed or done anything to the Voom channels to improve the quality since the whole HD Lite discussion started.

Agreed.

I said from day one the arguement they gave that they had to rush to switch the Voom channels over to the Dish format and it would happen shortly was BS.

Others argued that it was true.

Unfortunately, as proven out, I was correct:(

I would have been happier being wrong in this instance but I can smell BS a mile away.

goaliebob99 said:
Dont worry... Good things are to come for those who wait a few weeks.. :)

Bob - why does Scott disagree with your statement 100% then? He has posted in several places he does not think we will see 1920x1080i MPEG2 again on the Voom Channels.

Last edited:
gutter said:
I hate to say it but I think you are a dreamer if you really believe that. When DISH started broacasting the VOOM channels. I thought that all the channels looked better then they did on the old VOOM DBS. Now they are all worse. I think it is called bate and switch. They threw out the bate of full HD and then after we were suckered in..they made a switch. A tactic worthy of David Copperfield.

I am just plain pissed.

Sorry I forgot to add the sarcasm face after my statement . I am not that naive. What I am saying is that they used that excuse in January when we first noticed the hd lite and that they dangled the carrot of fixing the fiber problems by May to assuage the anger out there.

Tom Bombadil said:
The shame is that VOOM went to considerable expense to build a large true HD library and now their only outlet is via Dish's HD-lite.
Well Voom was doing HDlite at the end too. 1440x1080i If I remember right. Not nearly as bad as 1280x1080i though.

Tom Bombadil said:
Some points:

1) VOOM from Dish is the lowest quality that this material has ever aired in. When VOOM was broadcasting directly, the channels were in 1440x1080. When they went to Dish, it was a mixture of 1920x1080 and 1280x1080. Then Dish took all of the VOOM channels down to 1280x1080.

2) Dish has never publicly announced that they lowered the resolution. They continue to promote the VOOM channels as an exclusive and wonderful addition to their HD lineup. Indeed, we pay an extra premium to get these channels.

3) When Charlie had a VOOM rep on a recent Charlie Chat, the VOOM rep spoke at length about all of the "true HD" they had in their library and thanked Dish for providing a venue to airing it. No mention was made that all of the content was being down-rezzed.

4) Dish previously told members of this forum that it was their intent to restore VOOM to 1920x1080 after making fiber upgrades. Upgrades that were scheduled to take place in 2006.

5) Dish is now placing the blame on VOOM and claiming that VOOM is providing them with HD upconverts, i.e., material that is sub-HD that has been upconverted to 1080i. However the vast majority of VOOM's library is not sub-HD, it is true HD. VOOM's library is not the problem.

What Dish needs to do is to come clean in all of this. They should openly acknowledge that VOOM is being broadcast in a pseudo-HD 1280x1080i format. That this is being done at Dish's request in order to provide 15 channels. They should state one way or the other if they intend to restore VOOM to 1920x1080i. And they should stop laying the blame on VOOM.

Just be open and truthful.

Of course, DirecTV could stand a little truthfulness in their HD claims too.

You speak the truth brother :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Some points:

1) VOOM from Dish is the lowest quality that this material has ever aired in. When VOOM <snip>..........

..........Of course, DirecTV could stand a little truthfulness in their HD claims too.

kokomogator said:
You speak the truth brother :)

You've got to understand that although Charlie may be a good bluffer, he's also a good liar and manipulator and to work for him you must have similar attributes. They're all pros at staying just within the edges of plausability but not so committed they wiggle out.

When they "floated" that lie about Voom, HD Lite and the fiber link issue, they were just testing the waters. Other than "Gary what's his name" and maybe a couple of others, who actually had the balls to leave Dish over the issue? Not many.

When they floated that "MPEG4 was not doing what they hoped and was still quite a ways off", it enabled they and their retailers to get rid of their stock of 942s. Then bang - all of a sudden you need MPEG4 receivers to get the new HD channels and bang again - 942s can't be activated as HD receivers for new subs so, all of a sudden (in a relativly short time) the 942 has gone from top of the line, flagship HD, DVR receiver to almost worthless market value. How many left over that? Again, not many.

Now they're "floating" this stuff about new dish upgrades possibly being required and I can guaren-friggen-garl-darn-tee you they will leave it ambigious enough so they've got wiggle room in any direction, depending how we react.

Unless there's a sudden ground-swell of solidarity from the Dish Network HD viewing community, I doubt anything is going to change any time soon.

waltinvt said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
[IUnless there's a sudden ground-swell of solidarity from the Dish Network HD viewing community, I doubt anything is going to change any time soon.

I don't disagree without but until there is a decent alternative most people will put up with it. I am sure DISH will watch the communities the FIOS is enterning and watching those areas for lost subs. Then and only then will they see the HDLITE as hurting or potentially threatening their bottom line.

abricko said:
I'd take 21 *HD Lite* channels... then we can complain and mass mail ceo@echostar.com and complain about the quality!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never take quanity over quality when you're talking HD.

That's a SD attitude.

When customers let Dish know that they want more HD-Lite, then all of our HD will become HD-Lite.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts