HD - lite vs HD TV Set Resolution

According to several references that I have found, the 6 HD standards that I cited are considered to be the official HD standards.

For example these (the first one is a page maintained by the FCC):
http://www.dtv.gov/whatisdtv.html
http://www.adelphia.com/cable_entertainment/hdtv_details.cfm
http://tv.about.com/od/hdtv/a/HDTVfaq.htm
http://www.howstuffworks.com/hdtv.htm

There are 18 digital standards, of which 6 are High Definition digital standards. The other DTV standards are formally defined as being either Standard Definition or Enhanced Definition.

I looked at all the HD tv sets at walmart today and all the lcd sets were 1280 by 720, not a single one was rated at 1920 by 1080i. Also the plasma were the same.
The only sets that were rated at 1080i were crt projection sets with large 51 inch and bigger.

Wal-Mart is not the place to go if you are looking for high quality HDTVs.

Likewise for high quality audio systems, furniture, SLR cameras, and so on and so forth.

They do offer a handful of 1080p sets via their on-line store.

Last edited:
dude2 said:
I looked at all the HD tv sets at walmart today and all the lcd sets were 1280 by 720, not a single one was rated at 1920 by 1080i. Also the plasma were the same.
The only sets that were rated at 1080i were crt projection sets with large 51 inch and bigger.
Oh boy ! Would you tell us about Goodwill store's assortment of TV ?

Tom Bombadil said:
According to several references that I have found, the 6 HD standards that I cited are considered to be the official HD standards.

For example these (the first one is a page maintained by the FCC):
http://www.dtv.gov/whatisdtv.html
http://www.adelphia.com/cable_entertainment/hdtv_details.cfm
http://tv.about.com/od/hdtv/a/HDTVfaq.htm
http://www.howstuffworks.com/hdtv.htm

There are 18 digital standards, of which 6 are High Definition digital standards. The other DTV standards are formally defined as being either Standard Definition or Enhanced Definition.

Again, go read the 18 DTV standard resolutions as defined by the ATSC and approved by the FCC into law - not people putting their labels on it after the fact so Joe Public can better understand it.

Again, explanation pages are not the law - no matter who maintains the site. Even the IRS tells you that the law supersedes anything an agent might tell you - which is true of all government.

For the those who aren't lawyers (and the satelliteguys.us person who now claims he is lawyer in another thread now), there is a reason they call it the letter of the law - the devil is in the details.

The FCC on their own web site states:

Question: "Is HDTV the same thing as DTV?"

Answer: "No. HDTV is the highest quality of DTV, but it is only one of many formats. In addition to HDTV, the most common formats are Standard Definition Television (SDTV) and Enhanced Definition Television (EDTV)."

So if you want to use the FCC as an expert on this, then they are officially stating that within the 18 DTV standards, they are divided into SD, ED, and HD. They make a point of specifically stating that.

So it seems to me that you are arguing with the FCC definitions. Which you can, of course. But I am going to continue to stick by them in my posts.

HDTVFanAtic said:
Again, go read the 18 DTV standard resolutions as defined by the ATSC and approved by the FCC into law - not people putting their labels on it after the fact so Joe Public can better understand it.

Again, explanation pages are not the law - no matter who maintains the site. Even the IRS tells you that the law supersedes anything an agent might tell you - which is true of all government.

For the those who aren't lawyers (and the satelliteguys.us person who now claims he is lawyer in another thread now), there is a reason they call it the letter of the law - the devil is in the details.

Thanks the Adelphia site with the table at the end is great. I copied for my friends to use in order to aid them in their purchases of HD TV Sets. :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

riffjim4069 said:
Just someone with three calibrated sets, 20/20 vision, and the ability to tell the difference between sh*t and shinola...DishHD, once a polished product, now stinks to high heaven! ;) It's quite sad when Adelphia, the scurge of cabledom, has HD channels that blow away Dish Network.

Why don't you just go to Adelphia and get it over with? Why your agony?

Why do you persist in hanging around in a thread that you apparently don't think should exist and insist on taking issue with those that want to opine about the subject for which the thread was created?

foghorn2 said:
Why don't you just go to Adelphia and get it over with? Why your agony?
Over the years I tried Adelphia, twice, and got rid of them pretty quickly both times. There were few HD channels, customer service was horrible, and their HD DVRs and archaic EPG were terrible. You seem to think that a large number of members should settle with an inferior products; we should just keep our mouths shut because, according to you, there is no problem. Personally, just want the same, or better, HD experience than I had past year prior to HD-Lite en masse...after all, I AM paying for HD service.

As far as agony, a great philosopher once questioned, "It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied." All I can say is I hope you enjoy the slop D* and E* are feeding you.

Have a very satisfying day.;)

waltinvt said:
Why do you persist in hanging around in a thread that you apparently don't think should exist and insist on taking issue with those that want to opine about the subject for which the thread was created?

Here is the OP "In todays Atlanta paper there are HD TV sets advertised with resolutions at 1024 x 768, 1280 x 720, 1280 x 1080 , 1440 x 1080 and 1920 x 1080. Obviously there is no standard for HD TV set resolution. Few people will realize what they are buying.

Now we have HD - lite by Satillite. Where does HD - lite fit in this complicted picture? Is this DISH network's response to this RESOLUTION puzzle? "

So here is my response to this waltinvt:

This was not a HD-Lite bashing topic some people here made it.

riffjim4069 said:
Over the years I tried Adelphia, twice, and got rid of them pretty quickly both times. There were few HD channels, customer service was horrible, and their HD DVRs and archaic EPG were terrible. You seem to think that a large number of members should settle with an inferior products; we should just keep our mouths shut because, according to you, there is no problem. Personally, just want the same, or better, HD experience than I had past year prior to HD-Lite en masse...after all, I AM paying for HD service.

As far as agony, a great philosopher once questioned, "It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied." All I can say is I hope you enjoy the slop D* and E* are feeding you.

Have a very satisfying day.;)

But you just said, "Just someone with three calibrated sets, 20/20 vision, and the ability to tell the difference between sh*t and shinola...DishHD, once a polished product, now stinks to high heaven! It's quite sad when Adelphia, the scurge of cabledom, has HD channels that blow away Dish Network."

Things have changed in your eyes. Why not leave Dish and go with Cable?

Tom Bombadil said:
The FCC on their own web site states:

Question: "Is HDTV the same thing as DTV?"

Answer: "No. HDTV is the highest quality of DTV, but it is only one of many formats. In addition to HDTV, the most common formats are Standard Definition Television (SDTV) and Enhanced Definition Television (EDTV)."

So if you want to use the FCC as an expert on this, then they are officially stating that within the 18 DTV standards, they are divided into SD, ED, and HD. They make a point of specifically stating that.

So it seems to me that you are arguing with the FCC definitions. Which you can, of course. But I am going to continue to stick by them in my posts.

Read the actual law - not someone's intern description for the general public that has no basis in law.

My primary HD television is a Toshiba 65" that I bought in 1999. It's a rear projection CRT set and its native mode is 1080ix1920. Watching either 720p or 1080i programming from my C-band satellite is much superior to most things I have received OTA or from Dish network.

If anyone believes that there is little or no difference between full bandwith, full resolution video and overly compressed, down-rezzed video, he or she is very mistaken. While some material looks about the same either way, the majority of programming coming off the satellites is noticeably better.

I also have a 27" CRT frontview HD television from Best Buy. I can never tell for sure what the original quality of the picture might have been. Trying to watch anything better than what I get OTA is a waste of time. The television simply doesn't have the capabilty to show a great HD picture. It cost less than $500 dollars.

HD-Lite programming and televisions with reduced quality pictures are here to stay. The general public speaks with its money and the suppliers listen.

foghorn2 said:
Things have changed in your eyes.
Things have indeed changed, but certainly not just in my eyes alone. It's an undisputed fact that E* has been reducing resolution and bitrates for an ever increasing number of DishHD channels. I'm glad that you don't see a difference---and I'm glad that you don't care---but please don't criticise those of us who demand full value from our DishHD programming service.

Why not leave Dish and go with Cable?
I do recall mentioning that I tried cable twice...yes? What is your hang up with cable? Why would you suggest that I sign up with the same cable service, when I clearly stated they offer an interior product? They only offer 12 HD channels...and 5 of them are locals which I receive just fine with an OTA antenna. Plus, while their seven HD channels look just as good as DishHD used to look, the hardware is clunky (as I previously mentioned), the HD channels will mysterious drop altogether due to a poorly maintained infrastructure, and the cable service will go out far more frequently than any of my satellite providers. Certainly D* can't be considered an option since they offer no HD programming.

Just like 97% of the American public, there is only one, single, solitary cable provider in my area. The local cable company offered an inadequate, overprice HD package, which is why I signed up with VOOM DBS and later with Dish Network (DishHD). As the Citizen Member co-chair for the Cable Choice Now! Coalition, we were the driving force behind updating antiquated cable TV laws here in Virginia in order to bring Commonwealth residents real cable choices. We are soon to get additional cable competitors in my area (Verizon FiOS and Cavalier Telephone & TV), which will lead to improved quality, services and pricing for cable and satellite customers alike.

After our qualified success at the state level, I was once again asked to lend my voice in support of bringing about cable TV choice at the national level. I was more than happy to represent the overwhelming majority of Virginians in favor of this legislation which, by the way, has been passed in the US House, US Senate subcommittee, and endorsed by the White House - just waiting it to pass full Senate vote later this fall.

I will gladly subscribe to whomever provides me with the best HD and most HD. Currently that is DishHD, but they are slipping quickly. If I leave, I will be leaving for OTA only or FiOS TV, and supplemented with my Star Choice subscription that I use to watch Detroit and Seattle HD locals, and hockey. By the way, the Star Choice HD locals blow my Dish Network provided HD LIL out of the water.

I'll make you a deal...I'll sign up with cable if you buy my two owned ViP622s? I purchased both prior to DishHD-Lite and, since you love the stuff so much, I'll sell both boxes to you for $849 include shipping. This is $300 less than I paid for them and both boxes are like new under full E* warranty.

Either shoot me of go back to silently enjoying your DishHD-Lite. As a DishHD customer I will continue to demand that E* provide us with...well, HD!!!

Al K said:
My primary HD television is a Toshiba 65" that I bought in 1999. It's a rear projection CRT set and its native mode is 1080ix1920. Watching either 720p or 1080i programming from my C-band satellite is much superior to most things I have received OTA or from Dish network.

If anyone believes that there is little or no difference between full bandwith, full resolution video and overly compressed, down-rezzed video, he or she is very mistaken. While some material looks about the same either way, the majority of programming coming off the satellites is noticeably better.

I also have a 27" CRT frontview HD television from Best Buy. I can never tell for sure what the original quality of the picture might have been. Trying to watch anything better than what I get OTA is a waste of time. The television simply doesn't have the capabilty to show a great HD picture. It cost less than $500 dollars.

HD-Lite programming and televisions with reduced quality pictures are here to stay. The general public speaks with its money and the suppliers listen.
Thanks for the info. Knowledgeable viewers like yourself clearly see the difference between HD and its lesser byproduct known as HD-lite. The faster the Telcos deploy their fiber and IPTV services, the sooner we'll see quality improvements from cable and DBS.

Thank you!!

riffjim4069 said:
Things have indeed changed, but certainly not just in my eyes alone. It's an undisputed fact that E* has been reducing resolution and bitrates for an ever increasing number of DishHD channels. I'm glad that you don't see a difference---and I'm glad that you don't care---but please don't criticise those of us who demand full value from our DishHD programming service.

I do recall mentioning that I tried cable twice...yes? What is your hang up with cable? Why would you suggest that I sign up with the same cable service, when I clearly stated they offer an interior product? They only offer 12 HD channels...and 5 of them are locals which I receive just fine with an OTA antenna. Plus, while their seven HD channels look just as good as DishHD used to look, the hardware is clunky (as I previously mentioned), the HD channels will mysterious drop altogether due to a poorly maintained infrastructure, and the cable service will go out far more frequently than any of my satellite providers. Certainly D* can't be considered an option since they offer no HD programming.

Just like 97% of the American public, there is only one, single, solitary cable provider in my area. The local cable company offered an inadequate, overprice HD package, which is why I signed up with VOOM DBS and later with Dish Network (DishHD). As the Citizen Member co-chair for the Cable Choice Now! Coalition, we were the driving force behind updating antiquated cable TV laws here in Virginia in order to bring Commonwealth residents real cable choices. We are soon to get additional cable competitors in my area (Verizon FiOS and Cavalier Telephone & TV), which will lead to improved quality, services and pricing for cable and satellite customers alike.

After our qualified success at the state level, I was once again asked to lend my voice in support of bringing about cable TV choice at the national level. I was more than happy to represent the overwhelming majority of Virginians in favor of this legislation which, by the way, has been passed in the US House, US Senate subcommittee, and endorsed by the White House - just waiting it to pass full Senate vote later this fall.

I will gladly subscribe to whomever provides me with the best HD and most HD. Currently that is DishHD, but they are slipping quickly. If I leave, I will be leaving for OTA only or FiOS TV, and supplemented with my Star Choice subscription that I use to watch Detroit and Seattle HD locals, and hockey. By the way, the Star Choice HD locals blow my Dish Network provided HD LIL out of the water.

I'll make you a deal...I'll sign up with cable if you buy my two owned ViP622s? I purchased both prior to DishHD-Lite and, since you love the stuff so much, I'll sell both boxes to you for $849 include shipping. This is $300 less than I paid for them and both boxes are like new under full E* warranty.

Either shoot me of go back to silently enjoying your DishHD-Lite. As a DishHD customer I will continue to demand that E* provide us with...well, HD!!!

Thank you for your continued support for John Q Public. It's folks like you that stand up for your and our rights.

There will be many people that will benefit down the line because of your efforts and never know how it came about.

Thanks again!:hatsoff: