HD-Lite?

I have to add that the "K" boxes (722K and 222K) produce a noticeable clearer picture. When I switch to my 722, the fuzziness is apparent. The PQ coming out of a 722 (and presumably the 622 and 612) is inferior. The 222K also kicks-but compared to the 722. The 722K is connected to the same TV as a 722. In the other room the 222K is connected to the same TV as another 722. Others have posted saying that they too have seen the difference in PQ. I would love it if someone could perform the DirecTV / Dish Network HD visual comparison using a 722K or 222K, then report their observations. Yes, there really is that much difference in the "K's."

Now, if you watch nothing but the 722, you really don't see a problem. But the difference is clear once you see the more clear, present, pop, brightness and sharpness coming out of the 722K and 222K. Even the contrast of light and dark seems better. Switching to the 722 makes me feel like I need glasses. After a while I get used to the fuzziness. I have to add than when my aunt and uncle went exchanged their two 722's for two 722K's, they remarked, without my ever having mentioned it, that they noticed the "K's" seemed to them to provide a better picture than the 722's. they had. They really noticed the text being much more clear and easier to read for it CLARITY, not font. INTERESTING. And they aint no techies.

Bit rate is going to have a far greater impact on the quality of the HD picture than the 1440x1920 issue. I really do LOVE the HD PQ coming out of my "K's." Just don't over compress things, Charles.

I have to add that the "K" boxes (722K and 222K) produce a noticeable clearer picture. When I switch to my 722, the fuzziness is apparent. The PQ coming out of a 722 (and presumably the 622 and 612) is inferior. The 222K also kicks-but compared to the 722. The 722K is connected to the same TV as a 722. In the other room the 222K is connected to the same TV as another 722. Others have posted saying that they too have seen the difference in PQ. I would love it if someone could perform the DirecTV / Dish Network HD visual comparison using a 722K or 222K, then report their observations. Yes, there really is that much difference in the "K's."

Now, if you watch nothing but the 722, you really don't see a problem. But the difference is clear once you see the more clear, present, pop, brightness and sharpness coming out of the 722K and 222K. Even the contrast of light and dark seems better. Switching to the 722 makes me feel like I need glasses. After a while I get used to the fuzziness. I have to add than when my aunt and uncle went exchanged their two 722's for two 722K's, they remarked, without my ever having mentioned it, that they noticed the "K's" seemed to them to provide a better picture than the 722's. they had. They really noticed the text being much more clear and easier to read for it CLARITY, not font. INTERESTING. And they aint no techies.

Bit rate is going to have a far greater impact on the quality of the HD picture than the 1440x1920 issue. I really do LOVE the HD PQ coming out of my "K's." Just don't over compress things, Charles.

How do you know if you have a 722 or 722K?

Is it difficult to exchange a 722 to a 722K?

Stu

But in spite of Dish's commanding lead in HD nationals, the idea of HD-lite (1440 vertical lines instead of 1920) is still a major obstacle for many potential subscribers. Compression doesn't matter to the nay sayers since everybody does it, but line count does.

This is true, but I'd also add that if a provider is going to compress the bejeezus out of an HD signal, they're probably better off down-rezzing it slightly [with the caveat that it's done fairly transparently]. That is, if Dish were to run everything at 1920, they better give it enough bits, or it's basically going to be unwatchable. And despite whatever top-shelf MPEG-4 compressors they're using these days, with the (currently) 8, 9, even 10 HD channels per transponder they're giving us on something like EA, it doesn't look like they're willing to feed "full-rez" HD that primo bitrate anytime soon. On the other hand, does Joe Average Public, who, as noted, simply wants the lines (and more channels of course!) understand this basic reality? Probably not.

Thus, count me in as someone who would prefer less compression/higher bitrate in order to keep things tidy. I could live with 1440 if that's met. The same basic theory would apply to the SD world and it's inherent numbers, too. It's the artifacts that drive me crazy and make any respective HD truly "Lite" when readily apparent. :)

(Now, if they can offer full 1920x1080 with REAL bitrates...sign me up!)

Last edited:
How do you know if you have a 722 or 722K?

Is it difficult to exchange a 722 to a 722K?

Stu

If you try to upgrade from 722 to 722K the standard CSR route, YES, it is VERY difficult and they CAN'T grantee what you will get because those two boxes are considered the same "family." It isn't the CSR's fult; the software just won't allow such an upgrade, although I think it will allow you to buy the "K" at full retail.

If you really want to exchange a 722 for a 722K, you have to go the Executive route or one of the Dish Internet Response Team members who post on this board. They can make it happen. However, I'm sure they are going to consider attributes of your account before deciding to go to that trouble (and probably expense). In the case of my aunt, she is a 11+ year customer with AEP from almost day one who orders quite a few PPV movies and upgraded often. In other words, she is a big fat fish who has been dropping a ton of dough each month on Dish, and so they were happy to accommodate her.

One should be understanding if one finds it really difficult to get such an exchange if they are a recent customer or are still on initial commitment or have a low end package who doesn't spend much more than that each month on Dish services (doesn't upgrade, no PPV's, no additional services like costly internationals, or seasonal sports packages, etc.). They are a business and have to make a judgment call on who is likely NOT to bail on them soon after and make the investment in a customer if the customer hasn't invested much in Dish. This is true for any company. Perhaps the Dish posters can have you PM them and see what they can do for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts