HD Local help needed.

odiakan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
I know I have went through this before asking for help but I have seem to expired all my options as far as I can tell. I have tried to get Dish out here to fix my HD Local problem (cannot get them in via sat.) only to have them turn off all my locals while trying to *help*. Short version of a long story.......I live in an area where the HD Locals are not offered via sat. I *moved* to get the HD locals in but I am assuming they either come in on 65.1 (61.5) or 118, neither of which I can receive. I have a Super Dish and a Dish 500 currently setup now. My HD receiver is the VIP211 and I am to far out to pull a stable signal in via antenna (altough it would probably look better). I am wanting to know if there is a zip code I could move to that would allow me to pull HD locals in via the sat. with the current equiptment I have in place now. I am pretty happy with the service I receive from Dish but I wish they would have added the Florence/Myrtle Beach area into they're HD market. If someone could spread some light on this situation or give me some other options it would be greatly appreciated.

Where did you try moving? Assuming your Dish 500 is pointed at 129, there are some HD locals on 129, but not sure of the spotbeam situation on 129. (Spotbeams only point to the specific areas of the US) You can see what cities/channels are on which sat at the Dish Channel Chart. Atlanta may be an option for moving as it appears they are on 129 and fairly close geographically. Probably the closest available to you would be Charlotte, but they are on 118, which requires a Dish 500+ or 1000+ dish.

(incidentally...I'm originally from Florence! My sister still lives there. :))

Atlanta, Kansas City, Denver and Chicago are your best bets. All are conus, but on 129. For east coast probably Washington DC. It is conus on 61.5

I'm in the Chicago market and have had NO issues with Chicago HD locals, no dropouts or anything. The PQ is outstanding as well. :)

Thanks for the input guys. I acutally tried moving it to Nashville, TN last night before I had read any posts. The move worked to bring in the HD locals (129 i think) everything now is an hour behind because of the time change I guess, but thats OK, the problem I have now is I get an error when I check the SD locals. The error tells me to run a "check switch" (I did this) and then it stops. It seems to be the 110 that is giving the error, but when I do the "dish pointing" it pulls from 105,110,119,129. Now it does tell me there has been and LNB drift (said this for a while now but everything still worked), it gives the numbers but i'm at work so I dont remember. Up until Dish turned my SD locals off last night they had worked fine so I am wondering if I screwed something up in the move and how I can possible fix this. You guys help little people like me out so much and probably have no idea how much it is appreciated. Thanks

Don't know if this matters but it appears to give the error on transpoder 27. When I check it on transponder 1 in the system menu it gets a 93% signal.

Almost all of Dish's standard definition locals are on spot beams. If you "move" too far you will not be able to get the standard definition locals. So, you need to pick a big city very close (100-200 miles max)

three options:

1. atlanta has hd locals on 129 and is in the eastern time zone.

myrtle beach is on the fringe of the atlanta spotbeam for sd locals but if you live further inland (florence) then you'd probably get the sd locals from atlanta as well. the atlanta sd locals are on spotbeam 6 at 110 degrees. here's a map:

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/E10spots/e10spots.pdf

zoom to 400% and figure out if you are in the oval for spotbeam 6. alternatively, check the signal strength on transponder 20 at 110 degrees -- that's the transponder used for the atlanta sd locals. if you get a good signal then you can get the atlanta sd locals.

2. if you can't get a good signal, consider a "move" to raleigh or charlotte. charlotte sd locals are on transponder 26 at 110 degrees (spotbeam 6 -- just like atlanta). raleigh sd locals are on transponder 29 at 110 degrees (spotbeam 2). check the signal strengths to see if a "move" to either of these locations will get you sd locals. both raleigh and charlotte hd locals are on 118.75 so you'd need a different dish (dish 1000+). unless you know how to install it, you'd be best off adding a la carte german language channel like deutsche welle for $10 per month. this will force dish network to bring you the dish you need (you'll have to pay for this service -- probably about a hundred dollars -- but it will be professionally installed). a few weeks after you get the new dish, call and cancel the german channel. raleigh hd locals do not include fox or cbs. charlotte has the big four networks in hd.

3. throw up an OTA antenna for your florence / myrtle beach sd locals.

psnarula,

I acutally live in Laurinburg, NC (zip 28352) but we are in the Florence, SC DMA. I have never understood this since we live in NC and not SC but thats the way it is. Even the cable company Adelphia/Time Warner changed from the Raleigh, NC locals to the Florence, SC locals and the people of the town cried foul so they switched it back. I have seemed to make a bigger mess by switching to the Nashville, TN area just for the HD locals. I acutally get them but a lot of channels no longer work and now things are an hour behind. I am considering switching to the Atlanta area and see what happens there. I have a question as to wether I can do that switch online with my Dish account or will I have to call in again? I got a automated call from Dish today informing me that my bill was returned and I needed to call to avoid interuption of service (odd cause I am signed up for paperless billing). Thinking they might have looked at my account and noticed the moves. From what I was reading earlier it seems that Atlanta or Charlotte would be my best bet, however I cannot see 61.5. This is a lot to go through just for HD locals, but thats about all I watch are the locals......kinda sucks huh?

the channels that don't work anymore would be the nashville sd locals. you are too far away from nashville to see the spotbeam that delivers these local channels.

you cannot do the "move" online. just call up and "move" again. they don't care. i once "moved" from greensboro, nc (my winter "home" for better coverage of acc basketball) to baltimore (where i actually live) to boston (needed baseball on NESN because dish wasn't carrying MASN at the time) and then back to baltimore (when they added MASN) all in the same week.

it sounds like the phone call you got was prompted by a previous "move" in the past -- i bet they changed your billing address as well as your service address. you need to make sure they change only your service address.

if you check the signal strength on the transponders i gave you yesterday, you will know what will happen without needing to actually do the move to find out.

you do not need 61.5. atlanta hd locals are on 129. charlotte hd locals are on 118.75. everything else you need is on either 110, 119, or 129.

if you need help picking a service address in atlanta, send me a PM.

HD Locals HELP

I live in North Georgia and I am forced to get the Chattanooga market which does not offer locals in HD. How can I change to the Atlanta market? I miss the line by one county. Can anyone tell me how to change addresses to the Atlanta market?

HD Local Help

I currently have the Super dish and the 500 in my yard. So if I change to the 1000+ then would I be able to receive Atlanta HD locals or would I have to "move". The county next to me gets Atlanta local HD. Also, I' m not receiving Sportsouth in HD. I call tech support and they said that my vip 211 was bad and that they would send me another one. I ask the tech person if not having the 1000 had anything to do with it and he said no. I receive all the other HD channels with my vip211 so I was just wondering. If anyone could help me with these questions I sure would appreciate it.

Remove the 105 assy from the SD, the 118/119 assy wil go in its place.
You will need to drill a 1/4 hole in LNB arm for a bolt.
Use the 110 or 119 LNB from the 105 assy for 110 on the 1000+ assy.
Reaim dish and you are set to go

Remove the 105 assy from the SD, the 118/119 assy wil go in its place.
You will need to drill a 1/4 hole in LNB arm for a bolt.
Use the 110 or 119 LNB from the 105 assy for 110 on the 1000+ assy.
Reaim dish and you are set to go

THANKS!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts