HD Locals question 2

york4311

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
USA
Can someone explain to me something...I use to have Charter, which carried my locals: CBS, ABC, NBC and FOX, all in HD. I switch to DISH, pay $5 a month for locals, and they are all in SD! WTF? My zip code is 55901 and my DMA is 154 Rochester, Mason City, Austin. To the north is Minneapolis, which has all locals in HD, and to the east is LaCrosse, which I think just recently got all locals in HD...but me, DMA 154...not so lucky.I have a Turbo HD setup with the 3 focal dual LNB thing, but I called Dish and of course they say they are in negotiations and it will happen soon, but that is what they told me back in March when I switched.I've thought of the "move" thing, but not sure if it would work for me. I don't understand all the spot beam stuff you guys talk about, etc... My luck, I'd tell them I'm "moving" to Minneapolis, and my equipment would explode! I mean, I have the recievers hooked to the phone line and ethernet, wouldn't they figure the phone number didn't change???

The first thing you need to understand is that the rules for satellite providers are different than cable. Dish is only allowed to give your dma and being that you are 154 puts your dma far down the list. There are higher ranked dma's which do not have their HD locals up as well and it takes time to get retransmission consent and to uplink them in order to get them to you. As far as "Moving", there is already plenty of info, use the search feature on this site using "Moving".

Can someone explain to me something...I use to have Charter, which carried my locals: CBS, ABC, NBC and FOX, all in HD. I switch to DISH, pay $5 a month for locals, and they are all in SD! WTF? My zip code is 55901 and my DMA is 154 Rochester, Mason City, Austin. To the north is Minneapolis, which has all locals in HD, and to the east is LaCrosse, which I think just recently got all locals in HD...but me, DMA 154...not so lucky.I have a Turbo HD setup with the 3 focal dual LNB thing, but I called Dish and of course they say they are in negotiations and it will happen soon, but that is what they told me back in March when I switched.I've thought of the "move" thing, but not sure if it would work for me. I don't understand all the spot beam stuff you guys talk about, etc... My luck, I'd tell them I'm "moving" to Minneapolis, and my equipment would explode! I mean, I have the recievers hooked to the phone line and ethernet, wouldn't they figure the phone number didn't change???

See the response to your other post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)