HD locals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bigbw

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
Tucson AZ
With all the talk regarding D* adding HD locals in the top markets next year. I was wondering, do they already have the rights to broadcast them, or will they have to negotiate with each station. I know in my area Comcast is saying they can't add the digital feeds of the local stations until an agreement is in place for them to do so. They also say the local stations are asking too much money..

I would not place too much stock in what a cable company says about a satellite company & vice versa. DirecTV already has rights to rebroadcast the signals as they are currently doing on an analog basis. Any agreements would be worked out with the prospective networks parent company as is the case with CBS and NBC having their national (E/W) feeds carried.

The DTV (or digital OTA if you prefer) locals are more highly utilized where available by those that have the equipment to process the signal. A local DMA will usually do whatever they need to in order to get you to watch their station so they get the advertising dollars. Prime example is I now watch the NBC prime time lineup from the NYC station on the national feed because it is on earlier and it looks better, given an option, I would watch my local.

Now everything I have said is my own opinion but I believe it is quite logical and on the legal side of things I believe the DTV signals are authorized under SHViA ...

Comcast was saying they needed separate agreements before they could add the local digital feeds to their lineup. Their agreements to rebroadcast local networks only covered the analog feed. Sorry if I was not clear. I certainly hope you are correct.. Hate to wait until next year and then find out no hd local after all..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts