HD Modulation Problems

Phx_Sat

Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
Hi all... any help you can give me with this little issue would be greatly appreciated. I have a DISH DVR 921 that I am modulating and broadcasting through my house on Channel 3. That works fine. Now, I also have a DISH HD 811 receiver that I want to also broadcast through my in house coax network. I got a basic diplexer in line and everything and a uhf/cable channel modulator so I can broadcast the signal at channel 14 (or whatever I want). I hooked up the RCA feed from my 811 unit (it is normally feeding my Sony HD TV via the DVI cable) to the modulator and I am able to broadcast the sound on channel 14 okay, but the picture is all screwed up. It is like a gray screen and if I bring up the menu from the 811, you can kind of make it out on channel 14. Obviously I am missing something here. Is the problem because I am trying to broadcast from an HD unit or is it something else? I hope I was clear in stating my problem... please let me know what you think! Thanks.

Rob
Phoenix, Arizona

Hi Phx_Sat, welcome to SatelliteGuys.US! :)

With issues like the one you're having, I would think maybe the problem is a difference between band/mode being used on the modulator and the TV (UHF vs. Cable IRC/HRC/standard). But, since you're getting part of it on the actual channel being set on the modulator, then you've likely got the TV and modulator on the same or similar mode(s).

Do all TVs show the same symptoms? If so, it just could be a bad modulator. Either way, whether it shows up on all TVs or not, try changing the mode of the modulator and then change one or more TVs to the same mode through their menus (make sure they always match). If you find one that works, and it doesn't interfere with the other stuff on your line (I don't see mentioned if you're combining these two receivers onto existing cable or antenna stations), then you've found a workaround. :)

Also, if possible, try a simple connection without the diplexer being involved (maybe just to one TV). Diplexers are useful when needed (as a last resort in my opinion). If you find the problem goes away when the diplexor does, then you've found a solution (though maybe not the solution you were looking for).

The problem wouldn't have anything to do with the unit being an HD receiver though.

Thanks for the insight... To verify if I had a bad modulator, I switiched it over to my 921 system and broadcast that signal on channel 14. The modulator seems to work, the picture is a bit over saturated, but it is working.

Now, you said you don't like diplexers. How else can I combine the UHF signal onto the same coax cable run as the satellite feed? I also did try the different types of Cable modes (IRC/HRC/Standard) all with the same problem on the 811.

In any case, I think you are onto something in not liking diplexers. Right before feeding the UHF side of the diplexer, I have a basic splitter that I combine my channel 14 feed as well as feeds my channel 3 signal from my 921 to my Sony HD TV that may be bad. I am going to try switching that splitter and the diplexer out. Please let me know if you have any other ideas! Thanks for all your help.

Rob
Phoenix, Arizona

Finally had a moment to spare to fix the problem and yes... bad splitter... In any case, thanks for the help and I hope this post has helped others...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)