HD on 2nd tv.

mp04

Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Mableton, GA
I just signed up for Dish network and got two HD Dual Receivers, So basically I have a HD Receiver downstairs and also have TV in my room upstairs, and another HD Reciver upstairs (ina diffrent room) and get tv in a 4th room upstairs.

Heres my question, after doing some research, it says that only tv1 can be in HD and TV 2 are SD. So is there any way to make ALL 4 of my tvs HD since they are all HD Compatable?

Any Ideas?

Thanks.

get 2 more receivers if you want all independent TV. only other option would be to run component or hdmi from TV1 to the other TVs

Dish just needs to get off their arse and make the TV2 output an ATSC signal like a broadcast station, so the second TV can receive HD.
With all the other software changes they continually cram into these boxes,
it can't be that hard to do! :rant:

Unfortunately, their arse is what will be handed to them by their content providers, if they allow that digital content to be sent over an unencrypted signal path such as ATSC.

Unfortunately, their arse is what will be handed to them by their content providers, if they allow that digital content to be sent over an unencrypted signal path such as ATSC.

Those of you that have been with Dish for a while will remember they used to sell such a device - the 8VSB modulator for the 5000. It was forcefully taken off the market by deactivating all model 5000 receivers, for the reason mentioned above.

the reality of tv2 being hd will probably never happen via atsc. i got a feeling charlie is getting tired of being sued. the closest you will get will be using a sling catcher for tv2, and even then it will be a mirror of tv1. perhaps with the 922 receiver being sling loaded a sling catcher can actually provide hd off of tv2.

Two HD sets

You can feed two rooms with one DVR, but they have to watch the same show. Just connect one with HDMI and one with Red-Blue-Green and audio. (Not Dual Mode)

Or you can connect the second one with both one HD cable and one TV2 input and change the mode and input on that set when you need to watch two different shows.

One other way to get HD to the second TV is to use CAT5 and either HDMI or Component to CAT5 converters on each end. It will have the same programing as TV1 but will allow HD to the second TV. I had to set up a an HDTV at work using the above scenario except the output was a Mac computer using HDMI. I see no reason it wouldn't work with the dish receiver.

Digital content that's already been paid for by the subscription fees or it wouldn't be there at all! It can be done, and should be, especially at these prices!:mad:
What are they scared of, anyway? Somebody that has an extra digital transmitter layin' around who'll broadcast free HBO-HD throughout the neighborhood?
Component outputs from TV1 will already do that if someone was so inclined! :rolleyes:

First, component is unencrypted, it's just a little more expensive to record from than ATSC.

Second, I believe there is an HDMI recorder available, although it's much more expensive.

Third, there is, via whatever means, no shortage of pirated HD content available on the Internet.

So, why do both we as consumers and Dish and DirectTV as service providers put up with such idiotic, unrealistic, consumer-hostile attitudes by the content providers? Why don't they put up a unified fight against it? It's not like the content providers have any other avenues for widespread realtime broadcasting of HD!

ATSC would certainly be the most convenient way to do it. Also, unencrypted QAM would be equally good, but to appease the content overlords, that can't be done. How about sending the TV2 output out via encrypted QAM for TVs that have cablecard and providing a small coax->hdmi converted with the decrypter build in for TVs that don't support cable card? Just a thought, would be smaller/cheaper than a full blown receiver.

How about just providing a second HDMI output for TV2 and making TV2 output HD, wouldn't be that difficult. Running a HDMI cable for TV2 wouldn't be that difficult, and it would provide HD out for TV2.

How about just providing a second HDMI output for TV2 and making TV2 output HD, wouldn't be that difficult. Running a HDMI cable for TV2 wouldn't be that difficult, and it would provide HD out for TV2.

If this could be done it would be great. It would be a nightmare for the installer though as the customer would EXPECT it to be installed for free.. But since this is not really feasable within the confines of existing receivers, I guess it's a moot point

If this could be done it would be great. It would be a nightmare for the installer though as the customer would EXPECT it to be installed for free.. But since this is not really feasable within the confines of existing receivers, I guess it's a moot point

I guess olds403 suggestion would work as well. The installer could say that HD on the second box is extra, and just use one of the HDMI to cat5 converters, or better yet, build the one end into the box, so you would just have cat5 out, then provide the cat5->hdmi box for the remote end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)