hd on a sd receiver?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hobojoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 8, 2006
so caif usa
i know I'm going to get yelled at for this stupid question, but if you add hd can you see the hd channels on a sd receiver. i know it wouldn't be in hd format. like i have a 301 and 501, will i be able to see hd channels in sd format using those receivers? i am already aware of the vip622 the second tv will see those channels in sd format only.

hobojoe said:
i know I'm going to get yelled at for this stupid question, but if you add hd can you see the hd channels on a sd receiver. i know it wouldn't be in hd format. like i have a 301 and 501, will i be able to see hd channels in sd format using those receivers? i am already aware of the vip622 the second tv will see those channels in sd format only.

Hobojoe,

This is simple, NO you can NOT receive HD channels on a SD receiver.

John

You got your answer. But now we need to address the "Stupid Question" part!

Many will disagree, but I personally don't think that would qualify as a stupid question. Although different signals, I can receive an FM stereo signal on my mono FM transistor radio -- less quality receiver with higher quality signal.

When getting ready to activate my new account, I also had to stop and think a couple of days on if I wanted to re-activate some old (SD) equipment.

Last edited:
On a basic understanding on the way things worked in the past, it was a good question to ask, but the modulation used on the HD signal is not compatible with recievers built for SD only, It would be like trying to put a cd in an 8 track player, shure you may be able to adapt it, but is it really worth it?

I believe the Dish Pro Plus boxes (including the 322;522;625; and 942) all have the chip set capable of receiving 8PSK Turbo Coding. However, now the issue for HD is MPEG 4, and that requires addtional hardware that previous boxes do not have. That, Hobojo, is why you cannot see HD video on your current boxes.

This was not the setup listed in the original question, but you can see satellite HD programming on a non-HD TV if the non-HD TV is receiving it's input from the analog TV 2 output of the 942 or 622. For example, I can watch the Discovery HD channel on the non-HD TV using this setup. The OTA digital channels, however, cannot be seen.

Last edited:
hd-sd-digital

I have a 36 analog tv. I use a hughes e86 hd receiver to receive hd- digital ota network signals. Because my tv is not hd I only get the crystal clear non compressed wonderful picture of a digital signal. The picture is not hd. but it is the finest quality picture that I have ever received that is not hd. I do have additional hd tv so that I can compare. I think the quality of non hd (digital) from dish or direct tv is terrible. Due to compression, bit shaving and all the other forms of degradations that the satellie providers can use to cram more channels on a satellite. AS LONG as the the public is satisfied with grainy pictures from the sat companies we will continue to watch junk tv

john

hd-sd-digital

I have a 36 analog tv. I use a hughes e86 hd receiver to receive hd- digital ota network signals. Because my tv is not hd I only get the crystal clear non compressed wonderful picture of a digital signal. The picture is not hd. but it is the finest quality picture that I have ever received that is not hd. I do have additional hd tv so that I can compare. I think the quality of non hd (digital) from dish or direct tv is terrible. Due to compression, bit shaving and all the other forms of degradations that the satellie providers can use to cram more channels on a satellite. AS LONG as the the public is satisfied with grainy pictures from the sat companies we will continue to watch junk tv

john

I'm glad this question was asked. In a similar vein I've always wondered about what people with non-HD Digital TV's see on the new Digital subchannels being broadcast.

For example in our area ABC has a channel 6.1 which I'm presuming can be received with a digital antenna for a digital-ready TV. When an HD program comes on that channel, though, what do they see?

Or am I proposing an impossible situation.

Weezknight said:
I'm glad this question was asked. In a similar vein I've always wondered about what people with non-HD Digital TV's see on the new Digital subchannels being broadcast.

For example in our area ABC has a channel 6.1 which I'm presuming can be received with a digital antenna for a digital-ready TV. When an HD program comes on that channel, though, what do they see?

Or am I proposing an impossible situation.

You se a 16x9 picture with black bars at the top and bottom.

DishSubLA said:
I believe the Dish Pro Plus boxes (including the 322;522;625; and 942) all have the chip set capable of receiving 8PSK Turbo Coding. However, now the issue for HD is MPEG 4, and that requires addtional hardware that previous boxes do not have. That, Hobojo, is why you cannot see HD video on your current boxes.

You missed other important factor - only HD receivers have permission to accept HD channels, Dish using special flag in SystemInfo tables, like the 'ViP only' for certain MPEG-2 channels ( ppl mistakenly named it pseudo MPEG-4 channels ).

SteveR said:
This was not the setup listed in the original question, but you can see satellite HD programming on a non-HD TV if the non-HD TV is receiving it's input from the analog TV 2 output of the 942 or 622. For example, I can watch the Discovery HD channel on the non-HD TV using this setup. The OTA digital channels, however, cannot be seen.

If you are in dual mode, then yes - but as a function of the receiver, not the tv. In single mode, I can watch my OTA HD on tv2 with no problems (other than it is not via HD connections).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)