HD on EDTV

lakebum431

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
Norris, TN
Will it work? Sure, as long as it has the right inputs.

Will it be HD - No. I don't really see the point in getting HD service with just an EDTV.

ncmark

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Oct 17, 2006
OBX
well, I cancelled my install for HD. I'm not to sure if it was worth the extra money after the ten months. Any opinions? should I have just went with it or what?

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Until recently most plasmas were EDTV. Feeding an HD signal to such a set will yield a much better picture than feeding a SD signal would yield.

Yep, IMHO, you should stick with HD rather than going back to SD.

primetimeguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 4, 2006
St. Paul, MN
Until recently most plasmas were EDTV. Feeding an HD signal to such a set will yield a much better picture than feeding a SD signal would yield.

Yep, IMHO, you should stick with HD rather than going back to SD.

I totally agree. I'd way rather watch an HD program with the 16:9 aspect ratio than SD 4:3 stretched to fit the screen. The HD signal will be much better.

shimma

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 16, 2006
EDTV HD is Fantastic

Don't hesitate to subscribe to HD. Voom and local channels look wonderful on my 18 month old Panasonic TH-37PD25 . Don't let the techno-snobs fool you. From eight feet away the difference between HDTV and EDTV is negligible. Besides, in two years new technology will render even the most expensive 1080p plasma tv obsolete. Keep your set for the time being, and start enjoying HD now. Life is short!:)

dougruss

Retired and Loving it !
Pub Member / Supporter
Don't hesitate to subscribe to HD. Voom and local channels look wonderful on my 18 month old Panasonic TH-37PD25 . Don't let the techno-snobs fool you. From eight feet away the difference between HDTV and EDTV is negligible. Besides, in two years new technology will render even the most expensive 1080p plasma tv obsolete. Keep your set for the time being, and start enjoying HD now. Life is short!:)

:up :up

ncmark

Oct 17, 2006
OBX
I cancelled the install for today till I found out more about this. Thanks to all help, I just rescheduled for Tuesday morn for HD.

rthomp03

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 9, 2004
St. Peters, MO
Don't let the techno-snobs fool you. From eight feet away the difference between HDTV and EDTV is negligible.

Dude, you need your eyes checked then. EDTV is the same vertical resolution as SD but just wide and progressive scan (480p). HDTV has either 720p, 1080i or 1080p vertical resolution. The horizontal resolutions invite the HD-Lite debate so I'll not go into that here. I see a huge difference between watching a DVD in 480p vs watching something in HD.

Cyclone

Proud Stiff Member
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
Maryland
I have a EDTV and the HDTV programming looks tons better on it that the SD programming. On a 42" display sitting back six or more feet and your eyes lose the ability to see the difference. Besides there just the difference in Color capability is worth the change from SD to HD.

Trust us. Get the HD programming. When you do, be sure to switch back and forth between regular ESPN and ESPN-HD, or regular SD NBC and HD NBC, and then reply back to those folks about the quality of your eyesight and whether or not HD makes difference on your EDTV.

primetimeguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 4, 2006
St. Paul, MN
Dude, you need your eyes checked then. EDTV is the same vertical resolution as SD but just wide and progressive scan (480p). HDTV has either 720p, 1080i or 1080p vertical resolution. The horizontal resolutions invite the HD-Lite debate so I'll not go into that here. I see a huge difference between watching a DVD in 480p vs watching something in HD.

It all depends on screen size and viewing distance. If you are too far away your eye cannot resolve all the detail and there is no advantage to a higher resolution display. But don't get me wrong, I'm all for having the highest resolution display. There are a lot of people out there jumping into HDTV, buying a 42" display and sitting 15ft from it. In those cases EDTV is fine.

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
On a good EDTV, an HD source will look MUCH better than a SD source.

In fact, on a good EDTV, such as a Panasonic 42" ED Plasma with good black levels, most people can't tell it isn't HD from a distance of 9' or greater.

I saw this tested at a CEDIA a few years back. Panasonic had both 42" ED and 42" HD plasmas sitting side-by-side and had line on the floor at 10' away. Fewer than 5% of the viewers were able to see a difference.

A 42" ED plasma can be a very good TV. It is perfect for DVDs, it is better on SD than most HDTV sets, and as the lower res ED sets usually have better black levels, the blacks and colors are better on them. But they can be nasty if you sit less than 8' away, as the screen-door effect becomes very obvious.

Cheapo 42" plasmas can also be nasty, as some are just cheap TVs with all around poor performance.

Stan Sherman

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 7, 2006
I have one of each. A 42 " ED hitachi and a 42" HD. Do not waste your time with ED. Their is no comparison especially in action sceens where the ED is totally blotchy. The HD is smooth and crisp and the ED looks pixely. I also have a 62" 1080P DLP which has the fastest refresh rate and picture quality of the three.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
He already HAS an EDTV. So the only question is, will it look better with an HD signal. YES, IT WILL.

And EDTV is anything less than 1280x720. Sets were manufactured with numbers less than 1280. It's not just the 720 number that counts, and you don't have to go all the way down to 480.

ncmark

Oct 17, 2006
OBX
will I have to make adjustments to the tv with HD? I know on this LG I have, you can make all different adjustments for screen size. Here is the model I have. LG 42PC3DV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts