HD on locals?

chadahren

Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Hello,

I finally read through my 811 HD receiver manual last night and it wasn't too helpful - I need a little tutorial on some things. Specifically, if a network is going to broadcast (simulcast, etc) something in HD, will I see that programming as HD with my Dish 811? I suspect not, right? What would I need in order to enjoy that HD programming? Some kind of special antenna?

Thanks for your expertise,

chad

Well if your local network affiliates have digital channels (HD) up, then yes, your 811 will pick those up with an antenna (either indoor or outdoor).

The 811 is a High Def receiver, capable of both HD delivered from Dish network and HD/digital from your over the air (OTA) locals.

You might mention where you are located an I'm sure someone can tell you if you have access to local digitals.

Keep in mind that even if you do have local digitals, that is no guarantee that they will be broadcasting in HD - most will pass along the network HD stuff, but not all do.

OK - so the locals that are part of my satellite package will not provide the HD programming? I need an antenna to pull down that content? I am in mid-Missouri getting NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX and PBS out of Columbia.

chadahren said:
OK - so the locals that are part of my satellite package will not provide the HD programming? I need an antenna to pull down that content? I am in mid-Missouri getting NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX and PBS out of Columbia.

That is correct. Neither Dish (nor Directtv, at least for now) deliver HD locals over satellite. You will need an antenna connected to the back of the 811. But it does blend the local digital channels into the guide fairly nicely, and guide information is provided for the first sub channel (assumign Dish delivers local regular channels for Columbia, which I'm sure they do).

Depending on how far away you are from Columbia, you might start with an amplified indoor antenna (get it from somewhere that you can return it if doesn't work well) and see how that goes. But if you already know that you are fairly far away you are likely going to have to do an outdoor mount or maybe an attic mount.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)