HD OTA Program Guide Question

SouthRider

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Covington, La
New Orleans locals are not yet available in HD, so I am using an external antenna for both my 622 & 722.

The program guide integrates the info for the HD OTA locals, however for SOME of the channels the program guide info is totally wrong, and it displays the shows that would be on the UHF versions of these channels in the old days.

IE: instead of Law & Order on the ABC OTA in the program guide it may say something like - "Voice of Believers".

This totally messes up my ability to DVR shows on about half of my OTA HD channels.

I know I can create manual timers for these shows - but if the show changes times it doesn't record - or it makes it really hard to follow that "Victory Power" is really "Lost" in my list of recorded shows.

Does anyone know who to approach with this problem?

I've tried customer service, but they just want to troubleshoot my receiver.

How does the program guide info get from the channel to DISH? Through a 3rd party service?

Seems pointless to call the affected stations - as many are involved. Seems just as pointless to contact DISH again.

Any Ideas?

The guide information goes out in the data stream from the tvstation for the primary and sub channels and your Dish receiver parses it out and adds it to your guide. There is either and error from the tv station or something missing in the way they send out the data that is confusing your receiver. Contact the local station and tell them your ATSC tuner is not getting the correct guide info and give them examples so they can look into it. Don't let them blow you off because you have a sat receiver. It's an OTA problem.

You could try to make sure your receiver is not the source of the error by clearing all the OTA channels from your receiver, rebooting, re-searching for your local OTAs and adding them back in and see what happens. I would also remove all OTA channels I never intend to ever look at.

New Orleans locals are not yet available in HD, so I am using an external antenna for both my 622 & 722.

The program guide integrates the info for the HD OTA locals, however for SOME of the channels the program guide info is totally wrong, and it displays the shows that would be on the UHF versions of these channels in the old days.

IE: instead of Law & Order on the ABC OTA in the program guide it may say something like - "Voice of Believers".

This totally messes up my ability to DVR shows on about half of my OTA HD channels.

I know I can create manual timers for these shows - but if the show changes times it doesn't record - or it makes it really hard to follow that "Victory Power" is really "Lost" in my list of recorded shows.

Does anyone know who to approach with this problem?

I've tried customer service, but they just want to troubleshoot my receiver.

How does the program guide info get from the channel to DISH? Through a 3rd party service?

Seems pointless to call the affected stations - as many are involved. Seems just as pointless to contact DISH again.

Any Ideas?

The problem you are talking about is that abc 26 was leasing antenna space off of channel 49,s tower.On the old antenna, Look down your guide, abc 26 guide data usually shows the same programming as channel 49 or channel 20, whno. I think abc 26 finally moved to their own antenna this past weekend. It should be fixed. What you need to do is remove all of the ota channels from your receiver, then rescan the locals.. The box should pick up the new antenna mappings and hopefully give you the correct guide info. Right now i have my antenna aimed for the baton rouge stations. I will swing it over towards no tonite and see what i get. When you delete and then rescan, let me know what happens.

tribune?

The guide information goes out in the data stream from the tvstation for the primary and sub channels and your Dish receiver parses it out and adds it to your guide. There is either and error from the tv station or something missing in the way they send out the data that is confusing your receiver. Contact the local station and tell them your ATSC tuner is not getting the correct guide info and give them examples so they can look into it. Don't let them blow you off because you have a sat receiver. It's an OTA problem.

You could try to make sure your receiver is not the source of the error by clearing all the OTA channels from your receiver, rebooting, re-searching for your local OTAs and adding them back in and see what happens. I would also remove all OTA channels I never intend to ever look at.

I always thought 0TA data was provided by tribune? I thought only old dish boxes acutally uses the ota data(psip I think). If you don't pay for locals you will not get guide data at all.

Guide data comes from the satellite feed not OTA on Dish receivers.

Guide Correction

I have had a "Ticket" open on my account for a month because my local ABC Guide data disappeared. I have 3 other standalone non-dish tuners that get guide data fine for the ABC channel. 99% of dish reps think that the OTA channels get the guide info from the OTA stream which is wrong. Good luck finding anyone that will listen.

Ok - I deleted my locals, and then re-scanned on my 622 (722 is recording so I'll have to wait).

The problem is cleared up for WDSU (NBC ch 6) from N.O., but not for WGNO (ABC ch 26).

I believe that WDSU was also leasing space from 49 after Katrina until they recently got their transmitter replaced.

Perhaps 26 is not quite through with the transition, and it will clear up soon if I repeat the clear/re-scan.

I had previously been rescanning without deleting first.

Thanx for the tip !!!!

PS to Alton - Yes I am subscribing to locals. But Dish only airs the SD locals for N.O. - so I am also using my external OTA antenna to pick up the HD locals (better picture anyway). One of the neat features of the Dish receivers is the integration of OTA with Satellite feeds. You end up with the ability to record as many as 3 sources at once (1 OTA & 2 sat inputs). The OTA HD locals info DOES show in the Dish program guide - but New Orleans prgoram guide data has been screwed up since Katrina - when they were all sharing the same tower space.

ABC26 is showing the guide data for CW38 and will until it reverts to it's own frequency/transmitter (Physical UHF 26)

The guide Data comes from the Sat and is assigned by physical channel.

Channel 26 is sharing channel 38's frequency (UHF 15) The Dish receiver sees physical channel 15 and assigns channel 38 guide data.

So no correct guide data for WGNO ABC26 till they switch freq's on Feb 9th 2009

I was able to get in touch with a dish engineer who works on this stuff after ABC 26 first went on the borrowed transmitter from Channel 49 and he fixed it so the ABC guide data showed up instead of the WPXL 49 data.

All of the channels off of the 49 transmitter showed guide data for ABC for about a year. Then someone complained that WPXL's data was wrong and it reverted back.

Then our local NBC came back on a borrowed transmitter with the wrong guide data. The Dish engineer, who helped previously, refused to do anything this time and said that the guide data would work itself out once all the New Orleans stations were back on their proper licensed frequencies.

Currently the only New Orleans station not operating on their proper freq and showing the wrong guide data is ABC26.

They are set to do a swap over to digital UHF26 on Feb 9th 2009 when their analog UHF26 transmitter is shut down.

Thanx Jim,

As always you have the straight scoop for me.

I think I'll give WGNO a call, probably to no avail, but they should at least know that it is a problem for their viewers.

Thanx Jim,

As always you have the straight scoop for me.

I think I'll give WGNO a call, probably to no avail, but they should at least know that it is a problem for their viewers.

If you havent called them yet, ask them why they dont show Good morning america in hd, when it should be??

Well, I finally had the time to talk with an engineer at WGNO.

From their position the problem could be cleared up 2 ways:

1) When they go back to their proper frequency assignment which is economically unfeasible until next February.

2) DISH could fix their software. This problem only affects certain DISH receivers. It does not affect DIRECT receivers, standalone OTA receivers, or those built into TV's.

At either rate I doubt anything will be done before next February when it will get ironed out by the new rules.

Also - Dennis - Good Morning America is being downconverted to SD because of a problem with the time & temperature overlay that WGNO inserts. The fellow got very technical explaining it to me (& it went right over my head). It seems that when they passed the HD signal that the time & temperature overlay ended up off the screen on 4x3 sets, and there have been more complaint calls about that fact than there have been about not having the show in HD.

So this problem will also have to wait until next February to be resolved. Most stations are working to move their overlay to the middle of the screen so it doesn't get bumped off during "stretching".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)