how much trouble is it to get locals?

zacneely

Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
I have Dish Network and have always loved it. But I get frustrated with satellite because they do not offer ANY locals in my area. I live outside of Alexandria, La which is its own DMA and we have never had locals available via Dish or Direct. What would it take for Dish to get my locals. People get excited for getting their locals in HD, I would be if I got them in SD. Thanks

I plugged in a Motel address in your area on the Dish website and it showed you could get the Washington DC/Haggerstown stations.

If you know an address of someone or somewhere in a nearby DMA that you can use for the "service" address, you can "move" there. Call Dish and tell them you are moving there but keep the billing address as your current address. Just cannot go too far or you will not be under the same spot beam.

If you know an address of someone or somewhere in a nearby DMA that you can use for the "service" address, you can "move" there. Call Dish and tell them you are moving there but keep the billing address as your current address. Just cannot go too far or you will not be under the same spot beam.
My sister lives an hour south of me in a DMA with locals, I might use her address. Have you seen someone do this and it works? I don't want to go through the trouble then have them cut off my locals because they might find out. What would Dish Network do if they did catch me doing this? Thanks for the reply.

My sister lives an hour south of me in a DMA with locals, I might use her address. Have you seen someone do this and it works? I don't want to go through the trouble then have them cut off my locals because they might find out. What would Dish Network do if they did catch me doing this? Thanks for the reply.

It works.

It will probably be almost never when Alexandria gets locals, just like Lake Charles. They are missing stations in their DMA and DishNetwork can't bring in other locals from other DMA's. So there's no use for them to spend the money to get just a couple of channels.

Check your signal strength on an HD receiver on 119 transponder 9. You should be able to pick up that beam. That's the Birmingham, AL HD locals. Your SD receivers wouldn't get the SD ones though since those are on a smaller beam.

There's always Chicago too on 129 with HD locals that are CONUS coverage and SD locals with CONUS coverage.

You need to go to one of the cities where locals are CONUS, there is a sticky that outlines them. For example you can get HD locals from Atlanta, but you need a HD receiver, and access on your account to locals. Just pick any address, add unit # to it. That's it, tell the csr that you have the equipment sat dish already installed.

It will probably be almost never when Alexandria gets locals, just like Lake Charles. They are missing stations in their DMA and DishNetwork can't bring in other locals from other DMA's. So there's no use for them to spend the money to get just a couple of channels.

Check your signal strength on an HD receiver on 119 transponder 9. You should be able to pick up that beam. That's the Birmingham, AL HD locals. Your SD receivers wouldn't get the SD ones though since those are on a smaller beam.

There's always Chicago too on 129 with HD locals that are CONUS coverage and SD locals with CONUS coverage.

I noticed that both Atlanta and Chicago have locals via 129 and are now uplinked to 61.5. I don't get 61.5 and I don't want to "move" to an area then lose them because of the signal move.

Do you have any SD receivers?

I wouldn't worry about them pulling signals. That takes a while, not to mention it only takes 5 minutes to move.

If you don't have any SD boxes I'd just move to Birmingham, AL if you have good signal on 119 TP 9. If you want HD and SD locals in your timezone, Chicago is your best bet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)