HD Picture Cropped?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mezab

Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
I have a 921 receiver and have noticed that the picture seems to be cropped a little.

The guide preview window displays the full image but when viewing in the full screen mode, the image seems to be cropped.
(see the left side of the attached pic.)
PIC1.JPGPIC2.JPG
You can see the first picture has one basketball player on the left edge of the screen(full screen), but the second picture has two (the guide preview window).

Has anyone else noticed this?

I have a 921 receiver and have noticed that the picture seems to be cropped a little.

The guide preview window displays the full image but when viewing in the full screen mode, the image seems to be cropped.
(see the left side of the attached pic.)
View attachment 13755View attachment 13756
You can see the first picture has one basketball player on the left edge of the screen(full screen), but the second picture has two (the guide preview window).

Has anyone else noticed this?

Mezab,

Which mode is the receiver in. The Format button at the bottom on the remote allows users to select several modes, Normal, Stretch, Partial Zoom, and several others. Check to see if you are selected the Partial Zoom option. When viewing a 16x9 HD channel your receiver should be in Normal mode.

John

It is in Normal mode. I am connecting with a DVI cable to a Sony TV.

If you compare both images it looks like I am losing about 1.5" (from a 65" TV)from all four sides of the TV. Very minimal but a little annoying to know that I am missing some of the picture.

I am beginning to think it is just the way the Sony projection TV works. I already checked and there is no setting on the TV correct this.

Any other Sony people seeing this minimal cropping issue?

When you are viewing the small preview you are seeing the entire image (at least on the left and bottom), no overscan, but when you actually watch the channel your TV's overscan is cropping the picture slightly. Depending on your TV there may be a no-overscan mode or it can be adjusted out in the service menu.

It is in Normal mode. I am connecting with a DVI cable to a Sony TV.

If you compare both images it looks like I am losing about 1.5" (from a 65" TV)from all four sides of the TV. Very minimal but a little annoying to know that I am missing some of the picture.

I am beginning to think it is just the way the Sony projection TV works. I already checked and there is no setting on the TV correct this.

Any other Sony people seeing this minimal cropping issue?

I've had several Sony HD RP sets and all have overscan to some degree. I'm told that almost all TVs have overscan by design. Sometimes (particularly for SD channels) there is information in the top/bottom of the image that you aren't meant to see.

My current TV is a Sony SXRD 70". The overscan is about 2%, as measured by the ISF calibrator that I had adjust it. I believe that Dish HD DVRs also induce more overscan themselves -- certainly the test pattern on HDnet shows more than 2% overscan. This was true for the 921, 942, and 622 (at least on my TVs).

My calibrator does not recommend trying to fix RP overscan using the service menu. The overscan is optically done and changing the service menu would be an electronic adjustment. You would lose 1:1 pixel mapping in the process.

Yep that is it. The overscan. Thanks everyone!

This is not intended to be adjusted by a user. But I found a website (http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/) that tells you how to access the service menu. There you can adjust the vertical & horizontal picture size.

I adjusted the overscan a little, but adjusting too much caused some fuzzyness on the edge of the picture.

Sounds like I need the same calibration that RobbinM had. How much would that cost me?

I adjusted the overscan a little, but adjusting too much caused some fuzzyness on the edge of the picture.

Sounds like I need the same calibration that RobbinM had. How much would that cost me?

My text was a bit misleading. The ISF Calibrator did not adjust my overscan -- it was 2% when he arrived. In any case he would not have adjusted it because of the pixel mapping issue.

ISF calibration typically runs ~$400. In the case of my XBR2, it was worth the money and then some!

You can contact the gentleman who did my TV here: http://www.accucal.org/

My sony LCD projection 42 inch has the overscan menu which is set to 0 by default, you can go to -1, 0 or +1. Had to change it to -1 so that the entire guide (widescreen on HD 622) shows up, otherwise the bottom line of the TV guide is cut off.
Go to Menu, Screen submenu, set Overscan to -1.
However even the -1 setting still has some overscan, I see it if I connect my PC via DVI to it, I can only see the top edge of the windows start/task bar.

All TV displays has overscan, that's the industry standard more or less, except for plasmas that are meant to be connected to PCs...

I have a projector that has 0% overscan and E* doesn't add overscan to the picture. I used my iScan VP50 to add overscan to show exactly what you should be seeing to determine the amount of overscan in your set. here are some screen shots with deferent amounts of overscan (shown in the left top red OSD).

overscan00.jpg

overscan2.5.jpg

overscan5.0.jpg

overscan7.6.jpg

overscan10.jpg

My text was a bit misleading. The ISF Calibrator did not adjust my overscan -- it was 2% when he arrived. In any case he would not have adjusted it because of the pixel mapping issue.

ISF calibration typically runs ~$400. In the case of my XBR2, it was worth the money and then some!

You can contact the gentleman who did my TV here: http://www.accucal.org/
$400 to recover less than 2% of the total available image?...
I'll pass....I don't have that kind of money to throw around...$400..I could buy a recliner and two end tables for that...Or 8 full tanks of gas to run my truck so I can make even more money to not spend.
This is just an observation.....What ever blows your skirt up, I guess....

$400 to recover less than 2% of the total available image?...
I'll pass....I don't have that kind of money to throw around...$400..I could buy a recliner and two end tables for that...Or 8 full tanks of gas to run my truck so I can make even more money to not spend.
This is just an observation.....What ever blows your skirt up, I guess....

And blow my skirt up it did. $400 spent to calibrate a $7K TV isn't worth thinking about.

Enjoy your recliner and end tables.

And blow my skirt up it did. $400 spent to calibrate a $7K TV isn't worth thinking about.

Enjoy your recliner and end tables.

Even sets like this are not $7k any more. And there is less that SHOULD need to be adjusted (except for the annoying habit of the manufacturers to go outside the correct values for their sets).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts