Changing Location Of Main Receiver

The Harrington

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 3, 2006
NYC/Lehigh Valley, PA
Hello all. Was hoping someone could offer me some advice on what I thought would be a very simple issue. When house was built I had it wored at various areas and when Dish guy came I had hime put the main receiver for one of my connections in the computer room/office. The second line from that receiver was in the basement. Everything worked fine there but I have since decided I do not need to watch TV on my computer so this past weekend I set out to make the basement the primary location for the reciver and with one of Santa's presents will have a small TV in kitchen as the second line.

All lines from the satellite and to the various points are located in one area. I first went about tagging each line and thought that, once that was done, I should be able to take the cable I have running from the splitter to the basement and just switch it with the cable that is now running to the office but this did not work. WHen I did this it constatntly failed the "check switch" test and could not locate the satellite. The only thing I see different about the lines is that they use a different coupler/male end. Is that likely the cause of my problem? Anything else I can do or that you would suggest.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

TH

My first thought is that the line from the computer room to the basement might not be RG-6 coax, and might not have a high enough frequency response. You need RG-6 from the dish to the receiver.

You mention the couplers are different - are the cable types different? Maybe a smaller or lesser quality cable that cannot carry the signal a further distance? Also recheck the connection - make sure the copper center wire is straight and going into the hole when connected. The copper wire can become bent sometimes but doesn't prevent the couplers from going together.

Call DISH and arrange for a $29.99 service call, that is not a cable TV system that you can split signals and reconnect at will.

To answer a couple questions raised above, the entire house was wired with RG-6 so that is definitely not the issue. And I may make the call to Dish but I would like to understand why it is I can't simply move the location of the main receiver to one of the other areas in my house that already has been pre-wired. What am I supposed to do, call Dish every time I want to change something? Was I wrong to assume that I could put the main sat receiver at any pre-wired location and have the 2d location elsewhere as well?

The way my system is set up is the run from the satellite comes into a diplexer and from there is split to the Sat (Receiver) and UHF/Ant (2d location). The UHF run goes right to the TV location but the Sat run is a very short one that goes to a metal "gizmo" that is grounded. Here is where I see a difference. On the UHF run the male connector just says "PCT-DRS-6" while the run that leaves the gizmo and goes to the receiver location says "PPL EX6". Could this have anything to do with it?

I'm thinking this has to be something simple for somebody out there!

Thanks again

It should not matter on the ground block. It should be easy to hook up a receiver in whatever room you want. The line from the satellite needs to be connected to the SAT input on the diplexor. Your TV2 feed will connect to the VHF/UHF port on the diplexor. The remaining single port will go to your receiver. You then need another diplexor plugged into this line from the first diplexor. Diplexors must be used in pairs. From there the second diplexor the SAT connecting goes to the seperator if it is a dual tuner. The VHF/UHF port goes to the TV2 output on the receiver. Run check switch and it should work. If not your line is not the correct line or is broken. You may want to tone it out to see if it really is correct.

It should not matter on the ground block. It should be easy to hook up a receiver in whatever room you want. The line from the satellite needs to be connected to the SAT input on the diplexor. Your TV2 feed will connect to the VHF/UHF port on the diplexor. The remaining single port will go to your receiver. You then need another diplexor plugged into this line from the first diplexor. Diplexors must be used in pairs. From there the second diplexor the SAT connecting goes to the seperator if it is a dual tuner. The VHF/UHF port goes to the TV2 output on the receiver. Run check switch and it should work. If not your line is not the correct line or is broken. You may want to tone it out to see if it really is correct.

WiCkeDuDe -- I think you may have hit on what my problem is, that being the part about the diplexers having to be in pairs. If I understand what you are saying, if I use a diplexer on the front end (where the line comes in) then I must also use one on the back end (where the line goes from the wall to the TV). I am not at home right now but I think I was not doing this when I switched things around. I will look into this once I get home and see if that fixes it. I am guessing that if you don't have the diplexers paired that could lead to a check switch error, right?

Thanks for your advice.:up

To answer a couple questions raised above, the entire house was wired with RG-6 so that is definitely not the issue. And I may make the call to Dish but I would like to understand why it is I can't simply move the location of the main receiver to one of the other areas in my house that already has been pre-wired. What am I supposed to do, call Dish every time I want to change something? Was I wrong to assume that I could put the main sat receiver at any pre-wired location and have the 2d location elsewhere as well?

The way my system is set up is the run from the satellite comes into a diplexer and from there is split to the Sat (Receiver) and UHF/Ant (2d location). The UHF run goes right to the TV location but the Sat run is a very short one that goes to a metal "gizmo" that is grounded. Here is where I see a difference. On the UHF run the male connector just says "PCT-DRS-6" while the run that leaves the gizmo and goes to the receiver location says "PPL EX6". Could this have anything to do with it?

I'm thinking this has to be something simple for somebody out there!

Thanks again
Bluntly the answer is no.. You may not just move reciovers about your home at will.
The gizmo is a grounding block.
on one side are the inputs from the dish. an the other are the outputs which feed the receiver(s)..The short cable you see should be going to the SAT side of the diplexer. The cable connected to the uhf/vhf or tv side of the diplexer should be the cable that feeds the tv in your kitchen...
The cable that leads to the basement where your reciver will be located needs to be connected to the "in" port on the diplexer..Hold on, you're not done yet....Now inside the basement connect the inbound cable to the "in" port on the diplexer...Then connect a short cable to the seperator and the "sat" port of the diplexer.....An aside, I assume this is a dual tuner reciever (322/625).....
Connect a cable to the uhf/vhf side of the diplexer to the 21-69 connector on the back of the reciver..
Go to the point dish screen and run check switch...If the connections are properly done and there are no malfunctioning parts, the system should be working properly..

Yes if the line is not diplexed correctly then the receiver will not pick up the LNB feed and that will cause a check switch error for sure. Diplexors must always be in pairs to function correctly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)