loss of service

ccal

Original poster
Oct 20, 2022
Coltons Point, MD
A friend who lives in Richmond, Ohio just west of Steubenville said Dish stopped sending bills a couple of months ago and he lost service. He called customer service and was only directed to AT&T and given no other information. I told him that AT&T has an agreement with DirecTV. Apparently he would have to get a new DirecTV dish installed. Has anyone heard of similar situations where Dish gives up an area to the competitor?

A friend who lives in Richmond, Ohio just west of Steubenville said Dish stopped sending bills a couple of months ago and he lost service. He called customer service and was only directed to AT&T and given no other information. I told him that AT&T has an agreement with DirecTV. Apparently he would have to get a new DirecTV dish installed. Has anyone heard of similar situations where Dish gives up an area to the competitor?
Something peculiar there. DISH and Direct operate nationwide next to each other. Maybe your friend didn't pay his bills and was nonpayment disconnected? Perhaps DISH want payment in arrears before they would reinstate him and he was unwilling to do that because he saw no billing? This is not an area thing, it's an individual thing.

He paid his bills. Like I said, when he called they ONLY referred him to AT&T. It was not a past bill due situation.
I can not imagine DISH ever referring a customer to another vendor. Was he dealing directly with DISH or with a local installation company? Does he live in an apartment or condo by any chance and that organization will only allow a company that they deal with. What I mean by that is sometimes a housing complex will supply the feed for the entire complex and maybe they have decided to go with a different company for that feed. Hard to say.

I can not imagine DISH ever referring a customer to another vendor. Was he dealing directly with DISH or with a local installation company? Does he live in an apartment or condo by any chance and that organization will only allow a company that they deal with. What I mean by that is sometimes a housing complex will supply the feed for the entire complex and maybe they have decided to go with a different company for that feed. Hard to say.
He lives in a house. He called Dish customer service, which I know is WEIRD, which is why I posted it on this forum.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I can tell you 100% he is not calling dish. The best number to call is 1-800-333-DISH (3274)

As far as being cutoff, there has been a lot of computer issues since March. So somewhere a long the way he probably got accidentally switched to paperless billing (email only). Because of this he probably quit sending in payment so now account is many months past due. Just because the bill didn't come in the mail doesn't mean you don't have to pay. Unfortunately to get it back on will need to pay for the previous bills as well.

He didn't call Dish. He probably looked up a number online and got a retailer

My mother in law called the "Dish" number because she was having signal problems. Installer came out put in all new DirecTV receivers and switched her over. I called Dish and they said it was happening a lot. Very nice lady got everything taken care of and two days later she was back to Dish with all new updated receivers and $5 off of her bill for a year. FYI she is 94 years old and can't hear hardly at all but all turned out OK.

My mother in law called the "Dish" number because she was having signal problems. Installer came out put in all new DirecTV receivers and switched her over. I called Dish and they said it was happening a lot. Very nice lady got everything taken care of and two days later she was back to Dish with all new updated receivers and $5 off of her bill for a year. FYI she is 94 years old and can't hear hardly at all but all turned out OK.
Geez, dealers for DirecTV are getting desperate.

I guess that happens when you no longer can make sales for a company that has lost 13 million subscribers, continues to lose about 1.5-2 Million a year.

It’s not a happy situation all around. Even streaming seems to be consolidating. I’d consider Discovery+ but who knows what or who they will be in a few months, or what they’ll offer or drop.

I’d hate to sign up for a year and then lose Dr Jeff and other programming we like. Oh, WAIT!

;)

Only bad thing is didn't they add new holes for Directv for mounting the new Directv dish and also keeping it there without Directv service. The other thing is wouldn't she still be under contract with Directv now?

Only bad thing is didn't they add new holes for Directv for mounting the new Directv dish and also keeping it there without Directv service. The other thing is wouldn't she still be under contract with Directv now?
She had DirecTV before Dish and that mount was already there. The contract was canceled.

I'd refute the contract as this was straight up fraud, and I'd tell them they're lucky I wasn't gonna sue them.