HD Poll (initial research)

Soccernut said:
All available HD channels east and west feeds including the locals and distant to those that qualify.
Why do we need both east and west? That is just taking more space which they already do not have enough of. I think that the east coast feed would suffice at least until E* gets some more space available.

hpman247 said:
Now this list of HD channels may be incomplete or inaccurate, but this is what I have found so far. Some of these channels are speculative, but most do plan to do HD at at some point, and if not a channel of their own, then on another channel like inHD. Here's the list:

NFL Network
USA Network
E!
Wealth TV
Turner South
National Geographic HD
ESPN2 HD
HDNet Sports
HDNet Entertainment
Hallmark HD
A&E
The Tennis Channel
29HDNetwork
The Outdoor Channel
Turner HD
Gol TV
CNN-HD
Turner Classic Movies HD
THE Weather Channel HD
Lifestyle HD Channel (HGTV, Fine Living, DIY, Food Network, Network Channels )

These are all I have come across so far, but please remember some of these channels may never go HD, and some of them may comtinue to simulcast special programming on channels like inHD. Hope it helps

hpman,

Can you go through your list and indicate which are available now, projected launch dates for those that are in the works, and those that are speculative?

Thanks...

Add me to the list of those who can't get ANY HD OTA and would love to get FOX, NBC and ABC first-and-foremost. After that, ESPN2 and Universal HD are ahead of more movie HD.

flavorguy said:
I understand about the restrictions E* is under...

But if D* can offer O&O CBS-HD, FOX-HD, and NBC-HD, then why can't E*...

I beleive the most compelling HD content is still the network shows. I'd love to catch 24, House, ER in HD...

I have a unique situation in that I'm considered NYC market area, but live on the western side of some hills which makes OTA very difficult (I need something like a 12 or 16 ft antenna mounted on my roof line (which due to the neighborhood I'm in, would go over like a f*rt in church)...

I must say I'm regretting my decision to go with E*. When I installed my HD setup, I signed onto E* because they just announced Discovery and CBS-HD deal. Besides TNT and ESPN, they haven't added new HD programming in close to three years.

Does everybody agree that Network HD feeds are the number 1 priority?

If so, lets make that a given.

The poll -when created- will then try to identify the next most desired HD channels. Channels that could be made available to anybody without legal restrictions.

So the poll should be only whats avalible today.

The poll should include.

1) HD East and West Distant Networks.
2) HD Local in Local top 20 markets
3) Starz-HD
4) Universal HD
5) INHD1-2 (never happen cuz owned by cable)
6) Cinamax-HD
7) VOOM-HD (just to see if there is a market thu E*)

I can't get anything OTA either. I'm wondering why E* can't just put CBS-HD east and west on the empty TP on 119 so that at least I (and others) can get that with a single dish? I can't "see" 61.5 due to a big hill between me and LOS to the satellite.

Unfortunately, my "window" is rather small...maybe the width of 5 full moons, to the SE...so maybe 90-130 is about all I can "see". Other than that, it's all high hills and tall trees.

GregN said:
So the poll should be only whats avalible today.

The poll should include.

1) HD East and West Distant Networks.
2) HD Local in Local top 20 markets
3) Starz-HD
4) Universal HD
5) INHD1-2 (never happen cuz owned by cable)
6) Cinamax-HD
7) VOOM-HD (just to see if there is a market thu E*)

So are you saying that encore, ESPN2, and TheMovieChannel should not be on the poll?

My HD priority would be:

1-Networks east / west
2-Local PBS (why not?)
3-ESPN / ESPN2
4-HBO east /west
5-Starz east / west
6-Showtime east / west

I'm waiting to get more input as to the lineup to include in the poll.

Once the poll is created, it is pretty well stuck. I'm trying to minimize the 'why didn't you include' and 'why did you include' comments.

If you all agree that the list on the initial post is good enough, I'll go ahead and create the poll.

I know I'm going to catch some heat if I don't include the networks in the poll, but given that they could only be delivered to O&O markets and folks with waivers, too many people would be excluded. I'd bet that a significant number of those that would choose networks would not understand that they couldn't get them anyway.

It would be nice if a poll could be created that would allow voters to rank their choices.

FaxMan said:
I'm waiting to get more input as to the lineup to include in the poll.

Once the poll is created, it is pretty well stuck. I'm trying to minimize the 'why didn't you include' and 'why did you include' comments.

If you all agree that the list on the initial post is good enough, I'll go ahead and create the poll.

I know I'm going to catch some heat if I don't include the networks in the poll, but given that they could only be delivered to O&O markets and folks with waivers, too many people would be excluded. I'd bet that a significant number of those that would choose networks would not understand that they couldn't get them anyway.

It would be nice if a poll could be created that would allow voters to rank their choices.
Ok, I am guessing that you've looked at my intial poll that I posted, new or at least more HD is what the majority here wants. Good job in jumping in on this and getting started, I'd be willing to help where I can. The first thing, is the list updated with what people are wanting, if so, have you checked to see if these channels are available now. I know according to Starz's website StarzHD and EncoreHD is available, even though they probally play the same thing as the Starz and Encore channels do. Check out http://www.starz.com/se/encore/hdtv.html for Encore HD it looks like there is a limited schedule in actual HD, (StarzHD don't look much better) but there is more HD content out there.

Of course this would be a low end kind of thing, but what about more HD Movie PPV channels (of course it doesn't have to be PPV channels it's just I don't see Dish giving us several channels for a few dollars a month), I mean the one HD PPV channel is kinda crappy, it plays pretty much the same three or four movies/shows a month over and over. I'd like more selection, so maybe this could be another option in the poll!

this is going to be one time when i hope dish does not add a channel. if they add espn at launch, our prices are going to go up. i hope dish doesnt give in to the early price.

ABC-HD now available on D*

Well, according to AVS Forum, D* now has ABC-HD up and running, just in time for the BCS bowl games....

Added to the fact that D* also is carrying FOX-HD, NBC-HD, and CBS-HD the time has come...

With well over $20,000 of equipment in my HT, switching to D* is peanuts...

Goodbye E*, goodbye DISH forum

flavorguy said:
Well, according to AVS Forum, D* now has ABC-HD up and running, just in time for the BCS bowl games....

Added to the fact that D* also is carrying FOX-HD, NBC-HD, and CBS-HD the time has come...

With well over $20,000 of equipment in my HT, switching to D* is peanuts...

Goodbye E*, goodbye DISH forum

Just a heads up. Better make sure you qualify for those channels first. Available O&O area's only!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts