HD Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mdp1116

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
I am new to all of this. So my LG 42PC3DV is a EDTV, Correct? It has HDMI input. I currently have standard dtv box R15. The dtv tech rep was right when he said i needed to upgrade to the HD DUAL TUNER DVR to get the best pic quality. Like i said im new to all this hdtv stuff. right now im hooked through svideo and the pic is very pixilated, almost like a 100kbps video stream. By getting this hd equipment i will notice a night and day difference? I HOPE SO!!!

Sorry to say yes that is only an EDTV and not that great of a quality set as I have read. I would take it back and get an HD model.

Ok i know that its not that great of a set because its not HD, but its all i can afford at the time so i want to make the best of it. So my question is will upgrading to the hd equipment get me that better picture, to where it doesnt look so blocky... If i can get a Philips 42PF5321D is that a pretty good FULL HD set?

charper1 said:
Sorry to say yes that is only an EDTV and not that great of a quality set as I have read. I would take it back and get an HD model.

The Philips you mentioned IS an HDTV.
But just upgrading the hardware will not help you at all- you would have to get HD programming also if you wanted to enjoy better picture quality.
If your price range is around $2k though, then you can find a lot of excellent sets for that amount of money. You actually aren't too limited in what you can get for that much. Some nice plasmas, LCD's, DLP's, RPTV's all can be found for good deals with a little searching. And don't be afraid to look for online reviews of certain sets if you are curious about its performance.

PS- try to avoid creating two separate threads to post the same question/issue/problem. One thread is sufficient to get answers to your questions.

Last edited:
I have a Samsung EDTV 42" Plasma in the rec room. It's not HD BUT,

OTA Reception of HD programming looks pretty darn good, It certainly looks alot better than an SD CRT with the same programming.

I use this set for watching mostly sports programming OTA. and some SD SAT viewing.

DVD's look pretty good but again not the same PQ as my Mits HD RPTV.

SD DTV is another story, just as on my Mits, the SD PQ can be pretty "soft" or just plain bad.

Would I use this TV for everyday viewing of HD materials, Maybe, if that was my only option as it appears yours would be.

Just remember it's not HD but it is a couple of steps above an SD CRT. (in most cases)

Just my $.02 worth.

im going with a 50 inch sony LCP hdtv delivered tomorrow.

talos4 said:
I have a Samsung EDTV 42" Plasma in the rec room. It's not HD BUT,

OTA Reception of HD programming looks pretty darn good, It certainly looks alot better than an SD CRT with the same programming.

I use this set for watching mostly sports programming OTA. and some SD SAT viewing.

DVD's look pretty good but again not the same PQ as my Mits HD RPTV.

SD DTV is another story, just as on my Mits, the SD PQ can be pretty "soft" or just plain bad.

Would I use this TV for everyday viewing of HD materials, Maybe, if that was my only option as it appears yours would be.

Just remember it's not HD but it is a couple of steps above an SD CRT. (in most cases)

Just my $.02 worth.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)