HD Radio

nmstough

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
In the US almost all radio stations are now broadcasting (in some cases several) HD (digital) signals. The quality is fantastic. Where can I get information about Canadian HD radio stations?

don't you mean digital? would would be the purpose of the hd radio?
btw, *c has much better sound on its radio stations than the local ota station in my area ne pa.

it is digital but it is being marketed at HD-radio....your best bet is the following site
http://www.hdradio.com/index.php
I don't know if it has been approved in Canada yet...it a govt regulation thing and you know how that goes. Here most stations are opting to multi-cast as opposed to feeding a CD quality signal. The plus side is that most if not all of the new multi-cast signals are still commercial free.

In the US almost all radio stations are now broadcasting (in some cases several) HD (digital) signals. The quality is fantastic. Where can I get information about Canadian HD radio stations?

In the U.S., stations are rolling out iBiquity in-band on-channel (IBOC) digital, which
adds a weak digital subcarrier to the FM or AM signal.

Canada went a different way some years back - they allocated new frequencies in
the L-band for Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB), as much of Europe did. There was
no compatability, people were just supposed to buy new radio gear.

I would imagine there could be a push for IBOC in Canada at some point, now that
it does seem like it actually works (there were a lot of doubters).

Supposedly the HD in HD radio is for Hybrid Digital. Its just a happy coincidence that most people take HD to mean High Definition.

I recently purchased an HD radio and I am happy with the sub channels and most of the stations. Some stations actually sound worse on their digital simulcast for some reason.

HD radio in Canada

DAB has been a non-starter in Canada with a very few stations even experimenting in broadcasting in this format. CFNY in Toronto (one of the best progressive alternative radio stations around) comes to mind. We were outside their footprint for DAB when they started a couple of years ago but I can easily receive it in analogue with an outside antenna (I now listen on Starchoice).

Anyways, look for CHUM holdings to do something with their terrestrial license for digital radio that they were granted when Sirius/XM got theirs. BCE bought CHUM a while ago and CHUM has only 1 year to exercise the license or lose it.

I will let you know if I hear anything else.

Satboyz

Supposedly the HD in HD radio is for Hybrid Digital. Its just a happy coincidence that most people take HD to mean High Definition.

I recently purchased an HD radio and I am happy with the sub channels and most of the stations. Some stations actually sound worse on their digital simulcast for some reason.

Here in Atlanta they actually say "now playing in sparkling clear high definition" I have not heard it...although when I worked at one of the local am stations you could tell when the IBOC was on because the analog would have a tinny ringing sound that was difficult to listen to (they would only run it in test mode and may have abandoned it). Here in Atlanta I think all the stations that are running IBOC (aka HD) are muticasting with most running 2 additional channels (the only full market oldies station is hd only) and several are feeding their am stations on hd2 or hd3. I have not heard it, however when the price comes down I may pick one up, I like talk radio and live too far outside Atlanta to get a noise free signal from the am's and can listen to the feed on the FM which comes in allot better here.

In the US almost all radio stations are now broadcasting (in some cases several) HD (digital) signals.

What???? Very few US radio stations are broadcasting in digital. Out of the 10,000+ radio stations in the US only 1,000 (or 10%) are transmitting in digital. I would hardly call than most! From what friends of mine have told me this will likely be the most that convert to digital and the format will go away like AM Stereo and there are very few afordable receivers available.

What???? Very few US radio stations are broadcasting in digital. Out of the 10,000+ radio stations in the US only 1,000 (or 10%) are transmitting in digital. I would hardly call than most! From what friends of mine have told me this will likely be the most that convert to digital

You better find friends who are not on crack as there are already enough transmitters on order to double that number next year.

What???? Very few US radio stations are broadcasting in digital. Out of the 10,000+ radio stations in the US only 1,000 (or 10%) are transmitting in digital. I would hardly call than most! From what friends of mine have told me this will likely be the most that convert to digital

You better find friends who are not on crack as there are already enough transmitters on order to double that number next year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)