HD Receiver - OTA question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dfudd

Original poster
Dec 21, 2003
Will soon be a new Directv subscriber with a Direct HD system. When I receive the equipment, can I use the receiver for OTA reception before the Direct system is "officially" installed and activated? (Would like to watch the Super Bowl in HD - may have equipment by then, but not be scheduled for installation till later).
TIA.

Its yours do what you want to with it. Hooked my up today and much to my surprise did an excellent job got 5 DT and several analog channel. The VOOM receiver would only get 1 DT no analog channels and half the time I could't get that 1, on the same existing OTA. Can hardly wait to cancel the VOOM, but will wait couple more weeks.

I think the question was more related to will the box work for OTA if D* is not activated yet. I don't know, sorry. But, I believe the E* boxes (model 6000) needed to have E* activated. Why not just try it and find out?

holman3rd said:
I think the question was more related to will the box work for OTA if D* is not activated yet. I don't know, sorry. But, I believe the E* boxes (model 6000) needed to have E* activated. Why not just try it and find out?
E* requires that their receiver has to be locked into a DISH signal before the receiver can process an OTA signal, so with rain fade they lose all signals. D* will process an OTA signal without a satellite signal present MUCH MUCH better design.

The 6000 does not lose OTA signal because of rain fade. It will only lock up looking for the satellite if you do something like hit guide or try to change to a satellite channel. As long as you leave it on an OTA channel you can even take off the cable from the satellite connection and nothing will happen. You can change channels OTA all you want and it will still be ok. But, if the lights flash your reciever will look for the satellite when the power comes back on, then you are stuck. Mine are on UPSs, in tornado country you need to be able to keep your TV on!

so if I understand these posts correctly, you can take the D* HD receiver and plug your rooftop antenna into it and receiver a HD OTA signal into your HDTV?

I have the Hughes HTL-HD, it will work OTA without activation or satellite connection. Not sure about the Samsung?

I don't have the Samsung, but the user's manual for it indicates that you can use it for OTA without activating D* service.

Hughes E86 will work without activation as well as the DTC-100's. These are the only two that I have used.

Samsung works as well. When you first turn it on, tell it you don't have a dish. Then do the channel scan and everything works fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)