HD Receiver Question? Which HD DirecTV Receiver would you buy?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dantem

Original poster
Sep 22, 2004
Anyone and everyone please post a reply.

If you have to choose amongst these HD Receivers which one would you select?

Hughes HIRD-E86
Hughes HTL-HD
LS LSS-3200A
Panasonic TU-HDS20
RCA DTC210
Samsung SIR-TS360
Sony SAT-HD300
Toshiba DST-3100
Zenith DTV1080

Or is there a non DVR (TIVO) HD Receiver that I do not list above that is also good.

Please help.. I need to purchase a HD Receiver by the end of the month for my DirecTV install (3rd party, have to purchase the receiver on my own or pay $450). Don’t ask... it’s my building HOA policy (have to use Denver Broadband).

Thanks in advance for your input! :yes

I personally have the HTL-HD. Very good HD receiver. Haven't had a problem yet and I've had it for close to 3 months now. Gets very good OTA reception and the picture quality is very nice.

I have also heard good things about the Sony model too. The HTL-HD is cheaper.

My personal choice would be the DTC210, but I have heard good things about the HTL-HD since it went to V2.0

Just to ask - Neutron - where did you get your receiver?

Directv directly. I was able to swing a deal with them since our local cable company had offered me HD and digital cable at a killer deal. Directv didn't want to lose me so in return for a year committment I got the HTL-HD and OTA antenna for $50 total.

I spoke with someone in customer retention for this.

Right now I could still get digital cable and HD for $20 a month since our apartment rent includes their basic and classic cable package (though I don't use it) But I choose to keep Directv because of the programming for the price. That, and PQ and service sucks on our cable.

Most of your list is already out of production. RCA DTC210 is good and Hughes(out of production) HTL-HD is reliable. LG in Korea built the Zenith, Sony & HTL-HD basically the same units. Directv sold Hughes production facilities to Thomson Consumer Electronics (RCA).

HD Reciever follow up questoins

Boba (or anyone),

Any reason not to get a used HD Receiver that is "out of Production", from eBay or a 3rd party?

So far I am hearing that the

Hughes HTL-HD
RCA DTC210

are decent buys...

Which one would you get? Top 3?

Should I not get a Hughes?
Also, I have read several reviews and they all say the Samsungs are not good...

Anyone else's thoughts? Which is the consensus top brand?

One last follow up question, with most of the DVR Tivo HD Receivers out there in the $1,000 range would you hold off and get used HD Receiver for around $200-300, and wait until the DVR/Tivo's come down in price?

Thanks again! :cool:

You can get a new HTL-HD for $250-300 depending on which CSR you talk to.

The newest stuff is usually faster.

If you buy a used receiver you will be required to buy a new access card period.

It's a hard box to find but I love my Sony SAT-HD300 great box- it's never locked and decodes basic cable.

Funny we some to have this vote once a month...

Stay away from the Hughes E86. Crap receiver that has a nice overheating problem. the HTL-HD on the other hand, best bang for the buck besides the LG/Sony, since they are all basically the same, but the Hughes can be had for less money. Of course, if your pockets are lined well, the HD Tivo is out there as well.

I have a samsung TS360 @ home - and I use a HD-300 @ work - I like the HD-300 a lot better, and seems to "run" a lot smoother.

Another thing to think about....the older HD receivers do not have DVI ports on the back. If your TV has a DVI port take advantage of it and get the newer HD receiver.

DaJoker said:
Stay away from the Hughes E86. Crap receiver that has a nice overheating problem. the HTL-HD on the other hand, best bang for the buck besides the LG/Sony, since they are all basically the same, but the Hughes can be had for less money. Of course, if your pockets are lined well, the HD Tivo is out there as well.

The Sony firmware is not the same as LG's..much nicer GUI- if you can try them out side by side.

GaryPen said:
So, does that mean that the new DirecTV-branded models are made by Thomson? Yikes!
Right on the money. My Samsung distributer claims Samsung is going to make their own D-10's. So far postings on D-10 seem to say MADE BY RCA. Most work but seem to already see more posts of problems than Hughes produced units. Back to the original post I have an E-86 (not in any type of enclosure) works well for its generation, does run hot. I also have HTL-HD very satisfactory runs cool has nice front panel channel display. :)

Good Info...

I am looking for a mid-range receiver cost-wise. One of the prerequisites is that it be able to output HD/SD simultaneously. Reading the SIR-TS360
user manual it implies that it will. However, I've heard that it won't.

So, which of these receivers will do that?

Thanx,
....jc

There is no mid-range either get a $299 IRD or the high-end, and I think the $299 deals are only that price right noe because of the current D* promotions. They should go back to $499 aftward. Add to my list of current generation IRDS:

Sony HD-300
LG LSS-3200A
Samsung SIR-TS360
RCA DTC-210

Also, you can visit the website for each maker and D/L the user guides to each of these makes & models to save yourself some time.

Last Question I promise

Thanks for all the help.

I have narrowed my selection to the:

LG: LSS-3200A

And the

Sony: SAT-HD300

My question is this... I can get the LG for $250 (brand new in the box),

and I can get the HD300 for $400-450.

Is the Sony that much better that I would want to pay another $150 for it or wil the LG do just fine?

Thanks,

Share the 'secret'

dantem said:
My question is this... I can get the LG for $250 (brand new in the box),
and I can get the HD300 for $400-450.

My budget is around $400(for the receiver), and with D* giving me say a $200 credit, that's what I'm looking at. I also am going to upgrade to a bigger dish(rain/snow).

Where are you seeing those prices? :smug

Thanx,
....jc

Seawaves said:
The Sony firmware is not the same as LG's..much nicer GUI- if you can try them out side by side.

Actually, they are mostly the same firmware, even down to version numbers. While there are some minor differences, the hardware is all basically the same, which is what I posted. The only hardware difference is that the HTL-HD doesn't have RF, but rather is IR only. Overall though, you can't go wrong with any of the three, the HTL-HD, the LG 3200A or the Sony HD-300. Just depends on what you are looking to spend I guess.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)