HD Receiver & TV in separate rooms

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

2rsq24

Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
California
I want to install my HD receivers in a central equipment closet, and run the HD signals to the TVs in rooms throughout the house. The existing wiring is (2) RG-6 and (2) Cat-5e cables to each TV location.

My biggest question is how do I use the existing RG6 cables to run the HD signal. Or do I need to use the CAT5 cables instead? I understand there may be a device that connects to the output of the receiver which changes the HD signal, and then a corresponding device just before the TV that converts it back to an HD signal that the TV can use?

Thanks in advance for the advice -- I'm new to this sort of thing. I know what I want to accomplish, but not how to get there!

I don’t know any way to use RG-6 but you can buy hdmi to cat 5 or cat 6 converters. I have done this where I work. I would recommend at least cat 5e unless the distance is relatively short. Any of the devices I have seen require two sets of category 5 or better cables. One for audio and one for video.
Unless you already have the cables run, do yourself a favor and run cat 6 if you go this route.
For short runs long hdmi cables of component cables may be cheaper. Converter boxes can run from $100 to $400 a set depending on length and quality required.

you can buy hdmi to cat 5 or cat 6 converters
Interesting; I never saw one of those. However, if you look behind the HDTV displays in any major retailer, you will find HD being distributed via a component-to-cat5 or 6 converter. In this case too, there is more than one twisted pair cable per feed. I think I saw 4 which might be one/color and one for sound.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts