HD Resolution Questions

Eric_C

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
I'm replacing my 60" Sony GW today with a Samsung 61" 1080p DLP.

We watched both the SXRD and new Sammy DLP with a 1080i DVR feed made by Sony/Samsung for their respective TV's.

I know OTA alot of times is 1920x1080 but what about the Dish HD stations?

We hear alot about upscaling to 1080i, but what about up scaling in the other axis?

I know there was alot of talk about changes in HD resolutions but I'm also wondering about upscaling DVD players, do they just upscale to 1080i and leave the other scale alone, or is it not pertinent with DVD?

Its a stunning picture compared to my GW, even against the SXRD unit.

We're getting it later on this morning but I wanted to do some back to back comparisons and am wondering how much of it is based on signal and how much is based on differences in the TV themselves.

Thanks

I did two side-by-side-by-side comparisons between a Mitsubishi WD-62628 (1080p DLP) a Sony KDS-R60XBR1 (1080p SXRD) and the the Samsung (61" 1080p DLP)...the Sony SXRD won hands down IMO.

I have a Mits Diamond HD CRT RPTV, a Sony HD LCD RPTV (GWIV) and a Samsung SlimFit HD CRT so I have no particular bias toward any one particular brand. I was allowed to quickly tweak all three sets in the showroom and they were all fed the same 1080i source (OTA, DVHS recordings of the 2002/4 Olympics, HDNet from E*). While I cannot comment on SD (unimportant to me), I can honestly say the Sony SXRD PQ was superior to that of the Mits/Sammy DLP.

Of course, as much as I like the SXRD I've decided to wait for the new SED sets coming out later this year. Just my two cents.

We saw them both side by side, SXRD and the new 1080p DLP and there was no comparison.

Its obvious that some shops push Sony and give it a dedicated signal while multiplexing the other TV's.

I've seen plenty of REALLY crappy DLP demo's but when they had their dedicated HD feeds, and even swapped them the DLP looked far far better.

The SXRD looked like a better version of my Grand Wega, and it did look good. However the DLP looked real, vidid, brighter(no not overbright), and way better color reproduction.

These sets were both tuned and looked good but the DLP look so much more natural.

Wonder which DLP set was used? If not the very newest and highest resolution ones with the faster color wheel, of course, the dlp would fail. Or a dlp with the 3 dlp chips would win, also.

Four years ago I thought we would have 3DLP sets at consumer prices by now. I was wrong. This would be killers. Much better than SXRD/LCOS.

Meanwhile, I happily watch my HD CRT-RP and wait.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)