HD Spot Beam is Limited Within My DMA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HDinTX

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 6, 2005
Here's my email to D* concerning why I can't receive the Dallas HD locals, even though I reside within the DFW DMA and they have been available since Dec. '05. I find it interesting that "apparently" the HD locals are available to my neighbors who reside within a different zip code across the street.:mad:

---------------------------------------------------------------
Original Message Follows:

DIRECTV FEEDBACK MESSAGE

[Topic Selected: LocalChannels]
Subject: Significantly Viewed and Local HD Channels

Details: Using DirecTV's local channel lookup tool, it states that there are no local HD channels available for zip code 75801, which is where I am located. Palestine has three zip codes within its city limits, 75801, 75802 and 75803. Local HD channels are listed for the other two zip codes. Is this true? Are there no local HD channels available for zip code 75801? Also, when will the significantly viewed channels from the Tyler-Longview DMA be available to those of us located in the DFW DMA in the Palestine area? Thanks.

Thanks for writing. I understand your concern about getting HD local channel programming. Although HD local channels reach most homes in the Dallas-Ft Worth, TX market, customers living in zip code 75801 are unable to receive HD local channels because the satellite beam does not cover this area.

On the other hand, we've got good news! As you're aware, we're already serving several cities with HD local channel programming and we'll be adding more cities, gradually expanding our coverage over the next two years, as we deploy new satellites that use state-of-the-art MPEG-4 technology. The local channels we offer will carry a mix of digital standard-definition and HD programming.

Customers who have DIRECTV HD equipment and want to receive local HD programming from DIRECTV will be eligible for an MPEG-4-capable receiver replacement after we launch local HD programming in your city. (If you want to replace your HD DVR, you will need to wait a bit longer. Our new MPEG-4-capable DIRECTV HD DVR is expected to be available sometime later this year.

More details will be available when we launch the local HD service in your area, so watch your local TV, radio or mailbox for upcoming announcements or visit DIRECTV.com/HD

On another topic, recent changes in the law allow DIRECTV to offer local channels from nearby cities if the FCC determines they have a significant level of viewership outside of their home market.

We are working hard to get our systems ready to deliver neighboring local channels and to determine what markets will be receiving new channels, but it may take some time. Although there’s no set timetable right now, it’s possible that we'll be ready in some cities later this year. More information will be available on DIRECTV.com as it is announced. We appreciate your patience.

Thanks again for writing and hope you find the information above helpful. Stay tuned to DIRECTV.com for the latest news and information about our services.

Sincerely,

Emmanuel
DIRECTV Customer Service

Ouch. My new house is on the edge of the Pittsburgh DMA. I hope I do not run into this!!!

According to the zip code DB, 75801 is not 100% like 75802, 75803 are; maybe thats why; maybe a split area, maybe it USED to be Elmwood, TX??

DirecTV goes by a zip code DB they are provided with. You need to "move" to one of the other zips. As I have read it the HD zip DB is "tighter" than the SD zip DB is. AKA they are not exactly the same; don't ask me why. Give the HD or retention people a call and calmly point all this out.

*See attached.

Attachments

• elmwood.JPG
    elmwood.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
I would just change my zip code on their system. Your mail will still get to you. I write the wrong zip code sometimes when mailing to my mom, but it still gets to her. Maybe it is not that simple, but I would think it is.

they may have a street level system that gives them exact zip codes for each address...do i think they are that organized though?

Hmm how does one "move" and not have them come out to move the equipment to the "new" address?

do you mean just moving like from House A to house B with no change in equipment? You never needed DTV to do that. Sure there is a movers package that 'made it easier' for people to do. But nothing even in directvs own book says you have to get them to move for you.

VIPERS-PIT said:
Hmm how does one "move" and not have them come out to move the equipment to the "new" address?
You call and tell them you've already moved, brought with you and installed your dish & equipment from the old address and you are calling them to give them your new address. Tell them your billing address did not change.

Just tell them the post office has changed your zip code for 911 purposes and send them the zip that gets you what you need. I run into this all the time. My old zip put me in a community that is 15 miles south of where I live. I've not moved but the zip code has.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)