HD Stutter

sprinklerguy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 16, 2003
Well....this is the first I have noticed this...the wife says it "always" does it....sigh.

This morning on HD only channels...major stutter..like watching a side show....when I switched to the SD channel of the same show....it was fine...but I don't want to watch SD on my HDTV right?

And then tonite....we were watching a taped show from over 1 week ago....again HD broadcast....all stutter...

Any thoughts? Ideas?

I just went through the DVR recordings..some stuff that we have already watched is now doing it as well....it didn't do it the last time we watched it...

WTF?

This is a known problem. There is another thread on this somewhere. What people report, and I have seen as well, is that when the video is in PIP or the picture in guide or menu, the video is smooth as it should be. Of course, rebooting has always set things right, however, if you don't want to go through the reboot, you can change the channel sometimes that can fix things. Also, I can't remember exactly, but a method I used worked 2 times straight, but I can't remember it exaclty, but I think it was PIP side by side and swap, then make your desired video primary foreground tuner, and that may work.

This is NOT a heat related problem. Several people have reported this and confirmed, your truly included, that sufficient space for ventilation and no abnormal heat readings in Diagnostics. This is a Dish software matter that must be fixed ASAP because it is really annoying.

Last edited:
It may not be a heat related issue. But my 622 was starting to do this, and it started to reboot constantly. I changed the plug, and rearranged my cabinet to give it more air, and it seemed to stop.

This has been happening a LOT for me (and my parents) in the past couple of months - both of us have 622s. I think one of the recent software updates did it.

On my 722 I have seen this a couple of times. A reboot was the only way to get rid of it. Now that I think about it, it's been about a month since the last time the stutter appeared. Must of been a software update.

When they added the option to expand the guide to have more channels and time on screen, I noticed this "stutter" start. Again, reboot gets rid of it.

picture stutter

I have seen this picture stutter on my 722 for the last couple of months. I can usually clear it up when I hit the swap button a couple of times on the PIP. My temps seem normal when checked. I hope it is a software problem that Dish can fix.

On my 722 I have seen this a couple of times. A reboot was the only way to get rid of it. Now that I think about it, it's been about a month since the last time the stutter appeared. Must of been a software update.

I encounterd the problem just TODAY, but my work-around worked a 3rd time: Swap, then PIP to side by side, then swap, then press PIP for full screen. Has worked 3 times.

If you just PIP, that won't always work. I've tried and that method A LOT, and it has a worse than 50% success rate.

Some people, like me, can go weeks without the problem, then it happens and may happen a few more times that week. Then all is fine for a while, then it acts up again several days later. It is an intermittent problem.

I have seen this picture stutter on my 722 for the last couple of months. I can usually clear it up when I hit the swap button a couple of times on the PIP. My temps seem normal when checked. I hope it is a software problem that Dish can fix.

Rest assured, Dish is capable of fixing it. The problem is WHEN. They have other planned software downloads and I feel quite confident in saying that Dish probably has a lot of the software resources working night and day on the 922. Charley wants it for the holiday buying season, but will we get a rushed Not Ready for Prime Time 922? This problem of "stuttering video" should be at the top of the list for Dish to fix because it is frustrating and think of the countless others who never come to this board or have absolutely no idea how to cope with it.

I had this happen a couple of times on my 622. Since I am in dual- mode I dont use the swap/pip. My solution was to reboot my reciever. Basically just open the little door on the front, hold down the power button for about 10 seconds and it will shut down. I think you then have to hit power one more time to get it to com back on. Another option is to unplug the reciever and wait a few seconds and plug it back in. Anyway, after I did this, the problem has not occurred again.

It's back, I was watching local Fox in HD and the audio stutter started back up around the 2nd quarter of the GB/TB game. Did a reboot, no help there. Switched to off-air signal and the stutter was gone. Make me think that the uplink to Dish might have had a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)