HD Tivo and 921 comparisons

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
AppliedAggression said:
I created a comparision between the HD DirecTV Tivo and the 921. Take a look.

http://members.cox.net/dorkshow/hddvrs

Thanks. This does help to solidify that I will hang with Dish a little longer!

As long as we are comparing HD DirectTivo to Dish 921, I read somewhere that one (or both) have the feature to record any two sources while watching a third. Can anyone confirm this feature? It is very hard to sift through all of the posts on these two units. Thanks!

new_hd_fan said:
As long as we are comparing HD DirectTivo to Dish 921, I read somewhere that one (or both) have the feature to record any two sources while watching a third. Can anyone confirm this feature? It is very hard to sift through all of the posts on these two units. Thanks!

Yup, it's a feature on the 721 and it will be on the 921 as well. The Two Tuners can be recording two separate data streams WHILE you watch a separate program already recorded. Since most of the network programmers like to put their best shows against each other, this feature gets a lot of use in my household.

As for the 921, you can record two standard def channels OR one standard def and one OTA HD feed. I'm not sure if you can record two HD feeds off E*'s birds at the same time (ie. CBS-HD and HBO-HD).

Reactions: thechaz05
On the 921, you will be able to record 2 separate programs while being able to watch previously recorded program. The 921 only has 2 tuners.

Ransack said:
On the 921, you will be able to record 2 separate programs while being able to watch previously recorded program. The 921 only has 2 tuners.

To be more precise, the 921 has THREE tuners: TWO satellite tuners and ONE OTA tuner.

davhol said:
Ransack said:

To be more precise, the 921 has THREE tuners: TWO satellite tuners and ONE OTA tuner.

But ONLY two of those three tuners can be actively recording at the same time.

With a limited space hard drive, recording two shows at once is gonna fill you up fast, with Dish or Direct.

The smallish hard drives on these units is my only gripe to date.

They have just about the biggest HDD that you can buy. The only thing you can do is add another HDD inside the unit. There is a lot of recording space in that bad boy. If you wanna record a lot of HD then yes you will fill that thing up fast.

Thanks, I was looking for a direct comparison. Just hard thinking of giving up named based recording.

Ken

Hey, at the rate this thing is going, you might be able to put the fact that the HD DirecTiVo is available and the 921 is not in there. ;)

jlhugh said:
They have just about the biggest HDD that you can buy. The only thing you can do is add another HDD inside the unit. There is a lot of recording space in that bad boy. If you wanna record a lot of HD then yes you will fill that thing up fast.

Yes, but if they were serious about letting us have more storage they would enable us to add a firewire or preferably usb2.0 external storage device.

I'd guess we'll see terabyte drives within 2-3 years, but until then external is about the only thing that allows a decent amount of room. At least with external, if your drive goes bad your receiver still works.

The problem with that is that they don't want you able to remove digital information from the DVR. Giving firewire access (two way) would open them up to pirates.

Well,

I made my decision long ago. Stick with a good HD receiver and build yourself a future proof infinite upgradeable HTPC to do all of your recording.

Kryspy

Geno said:
What's the keyboard used for?

Geno

You can use it as an alternative to typing in words slowly via the remote control anytime you want to search the program guide for a movie or tv show. If you own an X-Box and you like to name the songs you record onto your hard drive for games that support custom soundtracks you'll know how fun that can be using the controller to arrow over from letter to letter in a virtual qwerty keyboard.