HD to TV#2.....

Don't agree

I think the real reason that they don't make TV2 HDMI is that they want to nickel and dime the customer by having them pay an extra $7 per month plus and additional $5.98 DVR fee for an additional 612 receiver. I honestly think this is why they don't make TV2 HDMI.

One of things is that it would almost take a lot more equipment to do it. No one else does it either for same reason.

:upYep, the HDMI cable from my 622 to the 2nd TV is 25' and the one from my 722 to its' 2nd TV is 35'. Dunno why one would want to run component and audio cables to the remote TV instead of running an HDMI.:confused: Inexpensive, great quality & fast shipping from monoprice.com .:)

Ed
Are you running component cables to the 1st TV on each of those, or do you have some other hardware going on?

:upYep, the HDMI cable from my 622 to the 2nd TV is 25' and the one from my 722 to its' 2nd TV is 35'. Dunno why one would want to run component and audio cables to the remote TV instead of running an HDMI.:confused: Inexpensive, great quality & fast shipping from monoprice.com .:)

Ed

I got a 100' component + audio cable from monoprice for under $50.00 delivered when it would have cost $100 for a 100' HDMI. Component works great for me.

I think the real reason that they don't make TV2 HDMI is that they want to nickel and dime the customer by having them pay an extra $7 per month plus and additional $5.98 DVR fee for an additional 612 receiver. I honestly think this is why they don't make TV2 HDMI.

That's not why. The reason why is because if the TV2 had HD outputs, a ton of customers would INSIST that Dish find a way to connect their TV2 in HD as part of the free install. Just try to imagine what that might involve, and then, let me tell you from an installer's point of view that it's going to be worse than that.

What do you do when the TV1 is on the southeast corner of the 1st floor and the TV2 is on the northwest corner of the 2nd floor, and there's no access through the middle of the house? A 200' HDMI cable? Drill a 1" hole in the wall to get the connector through? What if it gets damaged? No way to repair the cable, so it needs to be completely replaced. What if they only have component on the TV? Now we need to run 5 cables!

Whether you believe it or not, I can assure you that you'd have angry people canceling because the installer can't find a magic way to get their TV2 connected in HD, and oh, by the way, their HOA says no cables on the outside and their wife says no cables on the inside.

Honestly, due to HD, the trend is going to be moving away from "Duo" receivers, either to single receivers at each TV, or to a client/server "whole house" solution where the connections can use cheap, easy to run, easy to repair coax.

The reason why is because if the TV2 had HD outputs, a ton of customers would INSIST that Dish find a way to connect their TV2 in HD as part of the free install.
Well... If that's the case, Dish should have a 722h variant with an HDMI output on TV2, strictly for self-installs. ;)

I find coax runs draped all over the house so unsightly, I won't have it. So I do my own work. I pull an assortment of cables through raceways in the basement, or through the attic, and I fish these cables up or down through the walls and through a neat modular wall plate. Yes, a coax is marginally easier to pull vis a vis HDMI. But I just tape a bundle including coax, network, component, and HDMI and pull them all at once.

Too bad the professionals don't offer to do it this way.

Last edited:
The 922 is going to do it. Well with TV3, TV2 on the 922 is still SD. A TV2 HDMI port and sling would be even better. Then you would get 3 HD TVs since you can drive HDMI pretty far with 2 ethernet cables (or even HDMI over coax). Maybe Dish will do it on the next receiver...

Are you running component cables to the 1st TV on each of those, or do you have some other hardware going on?

That is correct, NO other hardware. ALL the outputs are "hot" at the same time. You can use either component or HDMI for either TV. For me it was easier to use component & the red/white audio cables for the TV's by the receivers but it'll work fine either way. Seems like the 25' & 35' HDMI cables were something like $25 to $30 from monoprice.com . Hope this helps.

Ed

Right now, the solution for those who want HD TV on more than 2 TV's is the ViP612. It is a dual tuner HD DVR, and while it does have a Channel 3/4 output, it does not support a 2nd TV experience because there is no Dual Mode. The 612 has no PIP. It is pretty much like an HD DVR version of the old 721. However, Dish will allow subs to lease up to four (4) 612's providing HD for four (4) TV's, unlike the TV 2 capable boxes that are counted as 2 tuners with a maximum of two (2) boxes that may be leased.

Right now, the solution for those who want HD TV on more than 2 TV's is the ViP612. It is a dual tuner HD DVR, and while it does have a Channel 3/4 output, it does not support a 2nd TV experience because there is no Dual Mode. The 612 has no PIP. It is pretty much like an HD DVR version of the old 721. However, Dish will allow subs to lease up to four (4) 612's providing HD for four (4) TV's, unlike the TV 2 capable boxes that are counted as 2 tuners with a maximum of two (2) boxes that may be leased.

This scenario is what customer like myself are trying to avoid. We like having a universal hard drive that we can access from both hard drives. Accessing the hard drive from both locations is the key. I just dont see why they cant make HDMI on TV2 an optional thing if customers are willing to pay for it.

I do understand the installation nightmare it would cause if it became standard. I do professional installs so believe me when I tell you that I know what customers are like. If customers know that its going to cost then they are most likely going to be willing to pay to have the universal hard drive feature.

My preferred solution ...

would be for multiple boxes to be able to talk to each other via ethernet. Then it wouldn't matter which receiver's hard drive held the material. Really, why have multiple long runs of a/v cabling when most homes that would be interested in such a solution probably already have wifi or cat5 already? I know this has been talked about for years, but there never seems to be any progress. I would think this would be a HUGE marketing plus for Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)