HD upgrade... dish question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ndcoop

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
I currently have SD with a 625 and will upgrade to HD in short order. I'm trying to figure out what the tech might do with the current dish situation. I have a Dish 500 pointed at 110 and 119 (mid-Missouri area). Because the los for 129 will be a problem (trees in the way), will I have to have a second dish pointed at an EA? I would rather not have two dishes on the roof but doesn't it look like that is the only possibility? Or, could I just go EA with a Dish 1000? If so, what about locals?
Thanks for the help.

If you, in fact, have no LOS to 129 then you'll either need another dish aimed at 61.5 or possibly an EA dish/1000.4 to pick up 72/77/61.5. Do you know what sat your HD locals are on? Another possiblity would be a 2nd dish pointed at 129 but installed at a location where the trees don't intrude. I had to get swapped from WA to EA this summer because of LOS problems with trees. Good luck!

Ed

I know that Kansas City and St. Louis HD locals are on both 129 and 61.5, but I don't know about Joplin or Springfield. To which DMA do you belong?

I live in Jefferson City, Missouri. I believe it would be Columbia Missouri. Thanks

Lucky for you it looks like your locals come from 61.5, which unfortunately means a second dish pointed east to tie in with your existing dish. If your nice enough you perhaps could talk the installer into a 1000.4 EA dish which would cover everything you need assuming if you upgrade to HD that you aren't keeping any other standard definition receivers. If all you have is a 625 and you are replacing that receiver you could do that. Standard definition receivers won't work on Eastern Arc.
As an installer though, dish likes to create work orders for existing customers calling for a second dish, so the work order will more than likely call for a second dish. Like I said though, if your nice to the installer you could just try and tell them you'd prefer only 1 dish. That is assuming that you have LOS for a 1000.4. It comes in to the left of what your existing dish points. (around 150 azimuth). I'm here in the Springfield market and our locals come from 77, so just about every install for existing customers calls for a 1000.2 dish and a 77 wing dish. New customers all get 1000.4 dishes on work orders though.
If the installer tells you he can only do what's on the work order you may have to politely be firm and ask him to modify the work order, explaining you really don't want 2 dishes. Worse case, call dish yourself and explain the situation and have them modify it. Some installers (like me) are happy to do all they can to please the customer as long as you aren't unreasonable. Some don't want to stray from the work order because they don't want the hassle of modifying the work order. Keep in mind that the signal to the EA for 61.5 also comes in pretty low, so if you have a lot of trees to the left of your dish it may not be feasible.
And again, if you have any other SD receivers that will be remaining you will have to keep 110/119 and go with a 61.5 wing dish.

Lucky for you it looks like your locals come from 61.5, which unfortunately means a second dish pointed east to tie in with your existing dish. If your nice enough you perhaps could talk the installer into a 1000.4 EA dish which would cover everything you need assuming if you upgrade to HD that you aren't keeping any other standard definition receivers. If all you have is a 625 and you are replacing that receiver you could do that. Standard definition receivers won't work on Eastern Arc.
As an installer though, dish likes to create work orders for existing customers calling for a second dish, so the work order will more than likely call for a second dish. Like I said though, if your nice to the installer you could just try and tell them you'd prefer only 1 dish. That is assuming that you have LOS for a 1000.4. It comes in to the left of what your existing dish points. (around 150 azimuth). I'm here in the Springfield market and our locals come from 77, so just about every install for existing customers calls for a 1000.2 dish and a 77 wing dish. New customers all get 1000.4 dishes on work orders though.
If the installer tells you he can only do what's on the work order you may have to politely be firm and ask him to modify the work order, explaining you really don't want 2 dishes. Worse case, call dish yourself and explain the situation and have them modify it. Some installers (like me) are happy to do all they can to please the customer as long as you aren't unreasonable. Some don't want to stray from the work order because they don't want the hassle of modifying the work order. Keep in mind that the signal to the EA for 61.5 also comes in pretty low, so if you have a lot of trees to the left of your dish it may not be feasible.
And again, if you have any other SD receivers that will be remaining you will have to keep 110/119 and go with a 61.5 wing dish.

Thans so much for the help! Very helpful. To all the others also. Great folks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)