HD-VHS Compatible Dish Receiver

RockettMan

Original poster
Apr 26, 2009
San Diego
I just acquired an interesting piece of gear from an estate sale. It is a JVC model HMDH5 Digital VHS video recorder. Everyone at the sale just thought it was an old VCR and I got it for only $12.00!
Now I have figured out that the only input it will accept to record in HD is through a connection labeled "ilink" which looks like like fire-wire or ieee1394.
Can someone in the know help me out with info on the best possible Dish HD receiver model with the proper output to feed this thing and HD signal so I can start making some recordings?
Thnaks in advance for your advice and help.

There were once plans to connect to JVC DVHS. Some receivers were even JVC branded and suppose to have firewire, but it never happened. The firewire was actually there but never activated.

I thought the R5000 mod supported DVHS, but I'm not sure.

You might be able to use it with a cable box....as alot of cable boxes have mini firewire jacks. But I don't think Dish ever had any receivers with enabled firewire ports.

Twelve bucks? I think the tapes will cost about that. You'll find good use for it.

There is a way but berry expensive

And this is the least expensive converter I could find.

Available from: Markertek
B&H Photo
Laird Dealers
Inputs: Composite Video (BNC)
S-Video (mini-DIN)
Component Video (LTM-5500 only)
Stereo Audio (2 x TRS unbalanced, 2 x XLR balanced)
FireWire/1394 (4 pin)
Outputs: Composite Video (BNC)
S-Video (mini-DIN)
Component Video (LTM-5500 only)
Stereo Audio (2 x TRS unbalanced, 2 x XLR balanced)
FireWire/1394 (4 pin)
Systems: NTSC, PAL
Cost: $1695 (MSRP) for LTM-5000, $2995 (MSRP) for LTM-5500
Availability: Now
Comments: This single unit rack mount device is notable for its balanced audio IO and BNC video connections. The LTM-5500 version adds component video IO.

The cheapest way to record HD (assuming you already have a decent computer) is to get a Hauppauge 1212. (I don't know why anybody would still want to use tape in any form anyway.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)