HD vs SD Cable requirements

kirbybear

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
Cresview Florida
Does HD place a higher burden on a cable than SD due to its greater data transmission ? I have installed a 211k in an existing cottage which is wired with old CATV cable. The HD on sat. 110 is 10 to 15 points lower on the DISH signal strength meter than the 119 SD. I know RG 6 should be used. But I was curious from a technical issue whether HD data transmission over the old cable is accounting for the lower signal strength.

The cottage next door has RG 6 and the 110 signal strength is 10 to 15 points higher. Bob

It should go without saying if you don't use the correct cable you won't reliably get the best results.

Does HD place a higher burden on a cable than SD due to its greater data transmission ? I have installed a 211k in an existing cottage which is wired with old CATV cable. The HD on sat. 110 is 10 to 15 points lower on the DISH signal strength meter than the 119 SD. I know RG 6 should be used. But I was curious from a technical issue whether HD data transmission over the old cable is accounting for the lower signal strength.

The cottage next door has RG 6 and the 110 signal strength is 10 to 15 points higher. Bob
The signal from 110 is coming in on the same cable as 119 using the same frequencies so the cable would not cause a difference in signal strengths. If you have a Twin on the dish the internal switch sends either the 110 or the 119 signal so there is only one satellites signal on the cable at a time. You have a better chance that the LNB would cause a variation in signal strengths.

MPEG2 QPSK will have a higher reading than MPEG4 8PSK does.

Check a non HD channel on 110 satellite and see what it shows for signal

Yeah cable isn't going to make a difference between HD or SD. It's the same frequency and signal width coming down the coax.

The HD transponders will read lower since there is more of an error rate with 8psk so the receiver shows it as lower.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts