HD with DirecTV or Dish Network?

guerra

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 29, 2007
San Francisco/Tracy
Right now I have Dish Network with two EXTREMELY old receivers. I just got an HDTV, and now I'm thinking of getting HD. However, my monthly Dish bill is already nearing the $100 a month and I'm not too happy with it. (They keep increasing the price every so month or so it seems) Anyhow, I was looking at what D* (is that how I say it?) for a new customer (again, I had DTV wayyyy back) I can get a good deal on an HD tuner with the HD package.

But with Dish, they have no specials for current customers except for the ViP 211 for $50 after rebate. I know DTV has less HD channels right now and are going to add more. Dish has more channels and are adding more as well. Here's my question, which provider has the overall better/true HD experience/channels? I've read quite a few threads saying DTV has bad HD, and that their receivers aren't doing a good job with the HD stuff and there's no mpeg4.

With Dish, I've read here and there saying their receivers are good, HD signals come in ok, and they have mpeg4? Btw, my cousin has Dish, and he as the ViP211, the HD channels, even the SD ones on his HDTV look really good. I'm just not sure about DTV...

Sorry for the long post, this has been on my mind for the past week...and I just had to let out there and see if I could get peoples opinions.

As of today, Dish Network offers the most HD and best HD value of the satellite providers, however DirecTV is running their advertisements "promising" to offer the most HD in the near future. Currently DishHD offers better HD picture quality...although their picture quality (PQ) tends to spans the spectrum from bad to good. Overall, DishHD PQ is better than D*.

I have been using OTA for HD since 2002. I first looked at D* for HD back in 2003, but quickly jumped on board VOOM DBS since the D* HD lineup was pitiful. I considered D* for HD when VOOM DBS went belly-up in 2005, but they could only offer grandios plans of having "lots of HD" in the future and nothing more...so DishHD was the answer. I have looked at D* for HD at least twice in the past two years, but they continue to offer the least HD of the major providers.

While I would like to see D* FINALLY offer dozes of HD channels (great for competition), they have alienated a great many potential HD customers by malingering the past 2 1/2 years. I am willing to give them a shot, but their HD package and equipment had better be superior, affordable, and sh*t tiffany cufflinks in order to win my favor.

Of course, if you want the best cable or satellite HD package on the market bar-none (assuming it's in your neck-of-the-woods) then go with FiOS TV. Hopefully they will improve their less-than-stellar DVR.

(They keep increasing the price every so month or so it seems)
Things aren't always what they seem. Dish raises their rates every February 1.

If you have access to cable, you might want to try that until the satellite HD dust settles. Know that doing anything serious with Dish Network is going to involve an 18 month commitment and with DIRECTV, a 24 month commitment. You had better be sure when you make the move.

You don't need an 18 month contract with Dish, just don't ask for install rebate of 49 dollars and you can cancel whenever. I love it and have no intention on canelling. S Florida market anyway, hope its same for you.

I'm an Dish Network Installer

Seen your post and read some of the replys, one that stood out a bit was the one telling you of the 18 mo/ contract.. this is optional, if you sign the 18 mo/ (by initialing I accept) you will receive a $49.99 credit on your first bill and get a free 18mo/ warranty. The install itself has a 90-day warranty anyway. If you decline the 18mo/ its no additonal cost, but you don't get the $49.99 credit back and you have no warranty after the initial 90 days of install. Though as long as you're leasing the RCVR's they are always covered and will replace at no charge to you if they fault. Dish has 33 hd channels and if you connect and off-air antenna you can add those channels to your channel guide line-up which is great
(you dont have to switch inputs on your TV) there are benefits of having the two dish set up rather then having the Solo HD dish as well, but this will be decided by the technician on arrival. Two dish is a much better signal strength on your HD prog. But either way is pretty good. Direct TV pricing is a bit more and dish has nicer looking RCVR's as well. The 622 DVR HD rcvr allows you to record 200 standard hours and 30 HD hours of your choice recording capable in watching any recorded programming in either of two rooms. I hope you understand everything I'm saying here, if you dont let me know I will explain better.

However, my monthly Dish bill is already nearing the $100 a month and I'm not too happy with it. (They keep increasing the price every so month or so it seems) .

Well Dish is still one of the cheapest services for your money around and for an extra $20 a month you get 28 hd national hd channels plus what ever local hd you get. Now as far as the monthly bill going up this is only true where certain discounts are coming to an end or are staggered in such a way to minimize the impact of having ones bill jump like cable tv tends to do when the cable tv and internet goes up $30 each. Dish has a yearly price increase ( not on all packages ) that takes place very Feb 1. The only other way that you will see increases in your bill is if you have recievers that require phone line connections and its not connected, you change programming from one to another of equal value or increase programming, add additional receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)