HD

womboughjj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 21, 2008
Albany, GA
Ok I have read over and over that Dish downgrades HD. Is this true. I really am not trying to start a war just want to know. I like how dish has the most regular HD channels but picture quality would play a part. Anyone that has technical knowledge of this I would appreciate a true response. Thanks

Ok I have read over and over that Dish downgrades HD. Is this true.

In 2010, everything is far more complicated than that.

Is Toyota a good car ?

It's far too complicated than to say yes or no. (It depends on which model, and what you are using it for.)

There are three kinds of HD channels:

- Broadcast Networks (ABC, CBS, etc)

All cable and satellite providers "downgrade" those channels. You will always get a better quality picture with those from a rabbit ears antenna.

- Premium Channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.)

Generally, the $10-$15 per month you pay for those channels means that almost all cable and satellite providers give you quality roughly equivalent to what they receive. Some channels, like HBO, actually check this.

- So-called "Cable" Channels (ESPN, CNN, etc.)

This is where there is some variation. There are a LOT of these channels, and it takes a LOT of bandwidth to provide them all in HD. Generally, providers use enough bandwidth to provide quality for a 37-42 inch screen. Those with very big screens report some artifacts with Dish, DirecTV and almost all cable providers. This is why Blu-Ray is always better quality.

Interestingly, reports say that some channels are a little better on Dish than DirecTV and other channels are better on DirecTV than Dish. Over time, which channels change.

Overall, people report the best quality on "Cable" channels on FIOS TV system.

yeah I get most of that. ABC's family of channels only broadcast in 720p. But someone said dish's 1080i is down to 1440x1080 and Direct is full 1920x1080i. That is what I am wondering.

Not true

yeah I get most of that. ABC's family of channels only broadcast in 720p. But someone said dish's 1080i is down to 1440x1080 and Direct is full 1920x1080i. That is what I am wondering.

That is true on some but not others. Also those in Eastern Arc have a better rez than those on Western Arc. There is no MPEG 2 in EA so they can give better PQ on it.

oh ok that is were I live eastern so that is good. This has been a tough decision one I have been sitting on for a while now. But my year is up with cable and looking to satellite. I am not a big sports fan but I love nascar and football(but not enough to spend on ticket). I know dish has far more regular HD then Direct but trying to think will they catch up soon. And I love the whole house dvr thing but love the dvrs better with dish. Damn can't they just merge lol.

well I know there are advantages and disadvantages. Just think about the bandwidth a combined company would have. And in theory it would save them allot on advertising and other things.

My post was already too long, so I did not include.

Resolution by itself does not matter.

For example, 1920x1080 at a bitrate of 3000 is worse quality than 1440x1080 at a bitrate of 6000.

And, here is the important one:

1920x1080 at a bitrate of 3000 is worse quality than 1440x1080 at a bitrate of 3000.

This is because 3000 is sometimes an insufficient bitrate, and lowering the number of bits required per frame means that bitrate will produce less visible artifacts.

Real world example:

Suppose you have a pitcher with a volume of 3 pints of beer, and you have 4 guys.

If you give each guy a pint mug, then their mugs will only be 3/4 full and each guys will say "I am not getting enough beer".

But if you give each guy a half pint mug, then you can give each one a full mug and follow it with a half mug top-off.

I would put the PQ in the following order, descending:

Blu-ray (& has best AQ by far)
OTA
Fios
satcos
skip one level
most cablecos

And keep in mind, due to the cameras actually used to capture HD, much of HD is actually originated in 1440. Don't fret over 1920 vs 1440. A lot is mislabeled. And a lot of what is called HD originates stretched, or picture boxed, or uprezzed, or spindled, folded or mutilated- to all delivery methods. Slowly, producers are getting better with HD.

Remember, 720 has twice the frame rate of 1080.

You'll probably be happy with almost any of the sources, save some of the cablecos. I watch on a 61" and a 52" and I'm generally happy. There's only one SD channel I watch regularly - the Military Channel.

kstuart is giving out good info.

Awesome post so far. no fighting yet =)!
Quick question, for my 52" Samsung LCD 1080p, should i put the settings on dish to 1080i, or would it be better in 720p?

yeah I really am not to start anything. I truly am on the fence and that was a hang up. The other is is locals, and fees on receivers. It used to be so black and white which to go to but now its not so. They both have their goods and bads and to figure out which is better for you is harder then ever. Well at least for me.

yeah I really am not to start anything. I truly am on the fence and that was a hang up. The other is is locals, and fees on receivers. It used to be so black and white which to go to but now its not so. They both have their goods and bads and to figure out which is better for you is harder then ever. Well at least for me.

I PERSONALLY would go with dish. I have Dish latino max with Hd because its the cheapest plan to get Fox Soccer Channel, and a huge selection of normal cable channels. free playboy is good too =)

I kind of want dish but I have 6 tvs and that gets expensive with them. And whole house dvr seems cool. Like I said hard decision. And it seems the longer I wait the harder it gets.

OrangeCounty said:
Awesome post so far. no fighting yet =)!
Quick question, for my 52" Samsung LCD 1080p, should i put the settings on dish to 1080i, or would it be better in 720p?

I set mine to 1080i. Though most will agree, 720p looks pretty much the same.

With Directv you would need 6 receivers, but with Dish 1 receiver can do 2 tv's, so you could have 3 receivers.

Also dish network has better receivers, a lot better quality & a lot faster. Also Dish has a LOT more HD Channels. I would go with Dish! I have Directv, and switched to Dish last year & that was the best move I ever made.

The whole house DVR is pretty buggy I hear. Plus with Dish you have TV everywhere if you have a slingbox, which could make it a whole house DVR :)

if you are worried too much about picture quality, remember that is usually a personal decision. what i might consider great, you might consider so so. it's all subjective. what you might do is find a retailer/installer there in your town or neighboring town and see if they have a side by side comparison or at least view each providers channels on athe same tv. good luck with your decision.

if i were you, go visit a retailer, tell them how many tvs, what kind they are too(SD or HDTV) and they should be able to guide you and give you an estimate of how much you will be paying. each companies website also can let you build your system and it will tell you how much too.

yes and that was before the xm merger. it can be done. In that one the govt strictly said they would never be allowed to merge ever when they were given their go ahead for spectrum. Never say never

As a long time Sirius subscriber who recently bought a car with and XM radio, I can tell you they are still run like two separate companies. I now have two full price accounts and one side seems to be unaware of my account on the other side. The only change is much of the programing has been merged on the two services so with a few exceptions I get the same stuff on both my Sirius and XM radios.

Since the two systems are technically incompatible they both continue to operate and there was no gain in bandwidth. From a customer standpoint, the merger has made no impact at all - positive or negative.

I kind of want dish but I have 6 tvs and that gets expensive with them. And whole house dvr seems cool. Like I said hard decision. And it seems the longer I wait the harder it gets.

Do people with six TVs actually need to watch six different programs at the same time? I ask because it's possible to pipe the signal around the house over RG6 coax (SD of course) and it's possible to drive multiple HD sets using a combination of HDMI splitters and both HDMI and component connections.

I have three HD sets and a bunch of SD sets running off a single VIP722 and find it works fine for me. On the other hand I don't have a bunch of kids in the house, so my needs may be more modest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)