HD811 Are these Artifacts or Whatever.

jwv651

Original poster
Nov 7, 2004
I have a HD811 hooked up to a new Samsung 1080P HLR6768 with HDMI...in some of the dark background scenes there is this dark blacky/green blotchy wavy movement in the background...also on some fast moving scenes there is these little square looking pixels they move around real fast and go away after the scene is done moving...like running water or a explosion with fire…what is the proper terminology for these issues and what are they called...could the HD811 cause these...or would it be the new TV. Thanks to all. Here is a picture of a dark scene with the Blotchy moving crap.

IMG_0779 (600 x 450).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0779 (600 x 450).jpg
    IMG_0779 (600 x 450).jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 316
I have not seen what you have pictured, but the little squares moving during fast moving scenes are pixelation, pixelated if those are words. It is the 811 and not your TV. It happens during explosions, welding sparks, water etc.

peid said:
I have not seen what you have pictured, but the little squares moving during fast moving scenes are pixelation, pixelated if those are words. It is the 811 and not your TV. It happens during explosions, welding sparks, water etc.
So this is normal or should I call dish.

Dish seems to think it is my ground...anyone ever have problem with their ground...that cause problems.

I don't think it is as much the 811 as it is the source material. Is the HD coming from E* or is it local OTA stuff? As good as OTA stuff has the POTENTIAL to look, they often add extra channels (multicast) which can take away precious bandwidth needed for the exact type of stuff you are talking about (running water, fast action, etc.)

KyDave said:
I don't think it is as much the 811 as it is the source material. Is the HD coming from E* or is it local OTA stuff? As good as OTA stuff has the POTENTIAL to look, they often add extra channels (multicast) which can take away precious bandwidth needed for the exact type of stuff you are talking about (running water, fast action, etc.)
I have a antenna on my roof and it is hooked up to the HD811 and I still have this problem...I think I will try hooking my OTA directly to my TV and see what happens. Thanks :)

jwv651 said:
I have a antenna on my roof and it is hooked up to the HD811 and I still have this problem...I think I will try hooking my OTA directly to my TV and see what happens. Thanks :)

Good idea - forgot you have a built in ATSC in your tv. That might rule out the 811 for you (but I guess it is always possible it is the 811). If it looks better connected directly you may check your 811 setup and make sure it is set to output 1080i.

How did you connect using component cables or DVI-HDMI.? I have never
gotten a good picture with the dvi cable on my hitachi 51s715 with sd
on HD it's fair but still not as good as component hook up.

I just received a refurbished 811 to replace my other one...My picture on my set looks like Macro blocking just like I get from my OPPO DVD player...I am hooked up by HDMI/DVI cable...This is becoming annoying...does the 942 produce a better picture.

Given that you are on your second 811, what your seeing isn't defect in the 811. Did you try hooking up your antenna to your DTVs or other digital receiver/tuner and compare the problem channels on it and the 811?

It sounds like you have a digital signal problem. If the signal is just too weak, a 942 probably won't do much for you. If it is a multi-path issue, the 942 has a new generation ATSC tuner that handles multi-path a bit better.

That said, if in fact your problem is a digital signal problem, it would be cheaper and easier to first try and fix the signal input. Adjust the antenna. Add or delete a pre-amp and/or attenuator.

Try hooking the component cables up istead of the HDMI I think u will see a difference, I think the 811 may have a problem with the HDMI.

token said:
The 811 only has a DVI output. Using a DVI > HDMI cable could be your problem so try another one if you can.

:confused:

The 811 has DVI, Component, S-Video and Composite outputs.

NightRyder

This looks like a classic case of macro blocking to me. It's the TV and there's not much hope other than reducing brightness to lessen the effect. Sorry man, it's a bummer, but I really think that's what's going on here. Especially if you saw a large amount of it with the Oppo. Some of these new digital sets aren't a good match with the amount of compression being used today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)