HDCP error - Panasonic TV has HDCP!!!!!

Not one to boast but I give up for the time being, I took the tv off the wall installed a longer component cable, connected it to the 722 and my dvd player will remain disconnected for the time being untill I am able to get a blu-ray player, for now thats good enough lets call it a day, let me know when this issue is fixed as I am going to bed, :)

While component is great if HDMI isn't working as it should then it needs to be fixed!When I first got my 612 had the HDCP error with hdmi.I called dish and chatted as well,each time was told use component.There was no problem with the HDCP of my tv as other devices worked fine.Then earlier this year the 612 magically started working with HDCP.There was a s/w update on the 612 that fixed the issue.Been fine ever since.All I'm saying is Dish knows there are issues with some models of receivers/tvs that still don't work with hdmi and they should be working to get it fixed.

Isn't the idea behind HDCP that it is a standard protocol, and the receiver does not need to know the model of the TV? That all devices should work the same and not have device-specific differences? Maybe I'm dreaming.

Isn't the idea behind HDCP that it is a standard protocol, and the receiver does not need to know the model of the TV? That all devices should work the same and not have device-specific differences? Maybe I'm dreaming.
While the method of performing HDCP *is* a defined standard the problems still come up, anything that causes a misread or time-out condition could lead to HDCP failure.

HDMI :: Installers :: Troubleshooting

it is *this* blurb on that page that suggests to me that having HDMI plugged in at all on the Dish Receiver side, while testing or using Component Outputs could cause HDCP to fail
In other words, the source must consistently send a signal inquiring if its HDMI input is selected, even while another input is in use. If a source device times out and stops inquiring, an HDCP authentication failure will probably result.

For the TV's side of things.. what if while a different HDMI port is active.. the TV stops looking at the HDCP/HDMI signalling from the other HDMI ports? Makers of *source* equipment assume that if an HDMI cable is there, and makes an electrical path (Ground & any other pin) that the HDMI port should be responding.. a failure to respond would be seen as a timeout and fail HDCP *or* that perhaps a rogue device is out there and trying *not* to be seen for copying in the path... etc.. so thusly the Source shuts off video output.

What is unknown is what Dish's stance is ... Sure they are turning on HDCP ... or HBO is.. but exactly where is dish going to apply that HDCP mandate? Are they ONLY going to apply it to the HDMI PORT? Or are they going to apply it to ALL outputs of the box.

If applied to all outputs of the box, then **ANY** Time HDCP is to be enforced, **ALL** other non-hdcp compliant outputs much be shut off/blocked/etc. Its in the licensing for HDMI/HDCP ... not the spec but the licensing that mandates NO ANALOG OUTPUT (one exception is made for AUDIO ... not Video!).

I see the 813 series and its 110's the next evolutionary step .. and that pretty soon, dish will be required to have HDMI on all devices and no analog outputs of any form. I mean really.. why add components to a device if 90% of your content will require analog be shut off?

The only way this is going to stop, is if someone sues and wins against HDCP's over-reaching mandates. I'd hate to say it but there are sometimes cases where the Gov't might actually have to step in .. otherwise the consumer is going to lose every time. Manufacturers aren't going to protect the consumer.. think about it.. "I'm sorry mister customer *they* require this HDCP and your old set does not comply you will need to update your set" The TV Manufacturers make out.. the people making content and requiring HDCP be used are making out.. the consumer however will have to replace that 10 year old Tube set ... spending 300 or more to get a comparable Digital set.. (I've an older 36 inch tube set.. heavy as all can be... had SVideo & Component ... a comparable wide screen sized screen would be 46 or more inches, because lets face it they aren't making 36" 3:4 format screens any more)

Was this with a Panasonic TV too? or are you saying in general, Im pretty certain my HDCP works because I have another device connected through HDMI that reports that my HDMI supports HDCP, similar to the way dish has there software which marks yes beside HDCP on system info page 2, Thanks though I can only be left to conclude its the 722 it self and doesn't have the correct software to include certain HDCP TV's yet,

My issue was with a Hitachi. I agree that it sounds like a software issue with the receiver. Hopefully, it gets fixed soon.

So HDCP is transmitted at the source of the program? And the adverse effect is that in certain cases the device transmitting the aud/vid ( in this case sat receiver) to the Tv can render the equipment useless?
How is one supposed to know about this?
I am about to upgrade to HD...One Sony LCD almost 4 years old. Toshiba LCD less than a year old and a Vizio LCD new....I don't want hassles. So how do I determine if I am going to experience problems?
It seems to me that in the efforts to prevent pirating, the people who invented this have used a shotgun to kill a housefly.

And in case you dont get the right understandings from those links... realize this.. if *you* are doing everything right .. you purchased your TV, you pay the correct monthly amount for your Dish services, you don't cheat the system, etc.. you are still treated like the thief by both DRM & HDCP.

That's really the only argument for those of us that are legally compliant with the intent of the copyright protection systems. I did everything right .. but still get hampered in some way by these "protection" schemes... and all the while the criminal element, the element that *has* cracked the system, gets everything I get ... but for free..

Just like the gun laws.. another law on the books does nothing that the other 999999 laws didn't.. if a criminal is going to use a gun during their crime ... they're going to use a gun. A criminal that doesn't want to pay for content, will spend TEN TIMES as much getting around the technical problems.... and then once they have a solution they resell it and make a profit.. :)

So how do I determine if I am going to experience problems?
You don't. That's just the point ... most of the time it works.. sometimes it doesnt.. and the problem is that when its *not* working no one will help you with the serious intent of fixing the problem. They will only go so far..

the tech on the phone has no clue about X
the programmer isn't paid to do X
the manufacturer "oh we are compliant its X or Y that isn't working right, not our problem"
the end user .. well I'm just taking it up the ...

"most of the time" is the best you can hope for. And all sets now should be HDCP compliant, most sets with HDMI on them should be compliant or can be made so, and the upgrade cost falls upon the user in most cases.

And the day is done one , and we sign off WTG2, all knowing everything.

I have a similar issue with my panny tv passing hdcp signals to a coax connected tv2; the way i get it to work is to first turn on tv1 (panny) for a minute, then turn on tv2 (coax), and then tune into the premium channel I want to watch.
I can then turn off tv1 (panny), and not have any problems watching tv2 programs of any sort..
A bit of a PITA, but, it works for me...

@wase4711 Well your lucky as it at least works for you, for me it hasn't worked at all, so once can only hope its a software issue and I am pretty certain it is, one can only wait it out, more of an issue is the TV2 freaking out that it needs HDCP on TV1 which is the biggest headache that needs to be addressed because at least in my case I don't care if TV1 doesn't work for HBO, I at least want TV2 to work properly as it shouldn't have been affected in the first place

I have a similar issue with my panny tv passing hdcp signals to a coax connected tv2; the way i get it to work is to first turn on tv1 (panny) for a minute, then turn on tv2 (coax), and then tune into the premium channel I want to watch.
I can then turn off tv1 (panny), and not have any problems watching tv2 programs of any sort..
A bit of a PITA, but, it works for me...

no doubt its a software issue, and MattG from the DIRT team said that DISH knows about it and is working on a fix, so hopefully soon..

I assume you have done a complete, power cord disconnect restart on the box to see if that might help..

Technology is great when it works properly!

That is correct @Wase4711 I have done the complete power down and power on and tried multiple orders of what powers on first to get it to work and to no extent did anything work. Only solution for now is Component cables which is an "OK" solution for people who can get to there cables behind there TV, for me it wasn't an easy solution but it works for now.....and of course when things work its great.....of course that isn't always the case

no doubt its a software issue, and MattG from the DIRT team said that DISH knows about it and is working on a fix, so hopefully soon..

I assume you have done a complete, power cord disconnect restart on the box to see if that might help..

Technology is great when it works properly!

Just for S&G, does your panasonic TV have a USB input on the back for firmware updates? Read on the Panasonic support site for make and model that there is a firmware upgrade. Maybe will help solve the problem. Panasonic Firmware Version 1.15

I have a Sharp Aquos that needed an update, used a USB thumb drive. Format thumb drive as FAT for tv to recognise.

P.S. Did a search and found someone with a similar problem HDCP and Panasonic Tv. Solution was firmware update.

"-update
I couldn't figure out what the issue was, but read somewhere that another person with a Panasonic TV solved their HDCP issues with a firmware update, so I downloaded and installed the latest firmware on my Panasonic 42" plasma, and after a Ctrl-Alt-Delete of my Google TV it seemed to finally start working (As I started to write this). So just a heads up for others that it may not be "plug and go" for you because of HDMI issues."
Google TV Forum

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)