HDCP error

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tings00

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
utah
I was hoping to get an update on HDCP. I have 1 hopper and 2 joeys. I first notice it about a month ago when one of my joeys would get the hdcp error on showtime when we had a preview of it. It finally became a real issue when i got the error on ESPN this past weekend. It worked fine earlier in the week. I have read things and tried to switch cables and ports with no luck. I have also heard it might be my tv. Is there a way to tell this for sure. I cant see getting a new tv because of this. Like i said ESPN worked fine last week and it is only on the one tv.

For my Joeys if I go to Network Setup -> Tests -> HDMI -> HDCP (I assume you're using an HDMI connection) I see:
hdcp_state : ENCRYPTED
hdcp_enforce : 0
hdcp_enable : 1
hdmi_connected : 1
attempts/successes 6/2
surprise successes : 0

I've never had an HDCP problem with my H/J system and in fact can see HDCP protected content from the RCA outputs of a Hopper on a non HDCP compliant TV.

syfy doesnt work, same message

when i run the test it says:
hdcp_state : RESTRICTED (Mute AV)
hdcp_enforce : 1
hdcp_enable : 1
hdmi_connected : 1
attempts/successes 17/0
surprise successes : 0

tv is a samsung sps4243x/xaa

It looks like a problem with HDMI handshake between your box and set with the 0/17 success record. It may be from signal degradation or maybe a power on problem with the set. I have a 2006 model Sony SXRD set that doesn't link up sometimes after power on. My solution is to turn on the box, wait a few seconds and then turn on the set. I trust the boxes ability to sense the set and start handshaking more than the other way around.

Well ESPN and SyFy both enforce HDCP. If they both do then it sounds like the TV may not be hdcp compliant or something is going on with the TV. You could also try the newly launched Disney channels. To me it sounds like working as designed.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I literally just got off the phone with a customer that is having this problem with her ESPN channels. It's the first time we have run into it. I sent my tech over to swap out the HDMI cable with Component cables. I hope this solves the issue for her.

Resetting the hdmi cable may make it go away temporarily but HDCP started being enforced on ESPN past week. Component is definitely the long term fix, or upgrading to a TV that supports it. So I'm sure you'll see more as time goes on. And you should only bring seeing this if the TV isn't hdcp compliant or they are using some sort of in line device that doesn't support it.

My tech just called me back. For some reason the receiver was hooked up to her TV through HDMI and with coax on channel 62. She had her TV tuned to channel 62 to watch TV. When he unhooked the HDMI cable the channels came back on. When he hooked the HDMI cable back up and switched the TV to the HDMI input it worked just fine also. The TV is a new LG. I'm not sure what was going on.

the tv is about 6 years old. I have the hdmi going straight from the joey to the tv. I tried using rca cables from the the joey to the tv and nothing changed. What exactly are they trying to prevent from doing by blocking those channels.

Try the RCA again and make sure the hdmi is disconnected from the reciever the TV side doesn't matter. If that doesn't fix it, reboot and then monitor and see if it pops up again.

Distinguish. RGB+RW give you HD component and sound. RWY give you composite and sound.
No component on Joey, only composite (or HDMI on its connector). They all are RCA connectors.
-Ken

I'd suggest trying another HDMI input on the TV ( I think that one has at least 2 )...then a different/newer HDMI cable next.

Since it is only happening on HDCP enforced channels, I still think it is working as designed. Also, the HDCP is added to both the HD and SD versions of the channel. Try some of these channels and post whether or not these also have the problem.

ABC Family ch.180
Disney East ch.172
Disney West ch.173
Disney XD ch. 174
Disney Junior ch.168
ESPN ch.140
ESPN 2 ch.144
ESPN News ch. 142
ESPNU ch.141
ESPN Deportes ch.854
ESPN Classic ch.143

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)