HDCP problem

papalittle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
Some old corn field, United States
A customer of mine can not order any PPV on her 622 Receiver, if she tries she get a HDCP message. I called Dish Tech Support and they said that it was her TV and not the receiver. I did not know that these receivers can detect what kind of TV you have. Anyway I read somewhere that if she switches from HDMI to component cables and disconnects the HDMI she will be able to do PPVs'. Is this good information? The TV is a Mitsubishi.

Yes, the solution here would be switching over to component cables. More or less, the receiver thinks the TV will record the event (which violates the copyright protection), so it does not allow it to view it. So the problem would be a communication between the receiver and TV. Switching to component will fix it, if you know the exact TV model number I can send a report to have this issue fixed in a future software update.

Yes, the solution here would be switching over to component cables. More or less, the receiver thinks the TV will record the event (which violates the copyright protection), so it does not allow it to view it. So the problem would be a communication between the receiver and TV. Switching to component will fix it, if you know the exact TV model number I can send a report to have this issue fixed in a future software update.

I will stop in there to switch her over and will get the model number you need. Too bad I have to drive 50 miles to get there.

If you go to Menu-6-3 - Analysis - HDMI Test - Select through the Disp. Info button and it will tell you what the box is seeing from the TV. That is how I confirmed that my DLP has 12 levels of "supported formats" (what all 12 are it doesn't say, only 7 + 5 "others"), as per my 722, and when it was actually made, other than what the box said. Came in handy for the warranty. It is quite amazing to see how they talk. I wonder sometimes what they're saying about me?

I had the same problem with a VIP 612 receiver connected via HDMI to a Panasonic plasma tv. In the menu the HDMI reset button was greyed out and tech support was no help. A component connection did not solve the problem. I upgraded to a VIP 722K receiver because of this and other issues. Problem solved.

Matt- It is a Mitsubishi model LT-52151----I changed the input at the TV from HDMI to component and everything is working now. Thank you.

OK, in my situation we have two 722's connected to a DVDO Edge to the same HDTV. When trying to PPV a movie My 722 got the HDCP error message, but the other 722--set the same as the other--did not and authorized the purchase. This is the same movie at the same time. I always open the movies on all boxes to record to DVR so I have copies to finish watching if I can't finish within the first 24 hours at one box (this was the case, I had to finish at a 2nd DVR).

So, again the same HDTV, trying to PPV a movie at the same time on two different 722's connected to the same HDTV through a switch processor. One authorized the purchase, the other did not. Both running through DVDO Edge, but I checked the DVDO Edge and made certain that HDCP was ON for those ports. Also, identical HDMI cables (monoprice). I even rebooted the box with the HDCP error message and no change. All was the same for both boxes, there really is no reason one should have been able to purchase the PPV and not the other.

My point is that it isn't always the customer's TV, but, judging from the many posts on this board concerning very good brands of HDTV and my recent personal experience, I believe sometimes it is DISH's fault, as in the box isn't reading the data correctly and all is well with the HDTV.

I have 3 622's which when I go to the Analysis / hdmi test The reset dhdmi is greyed out? Can I fix this and the dis info is the only window I can adjust on the left hand side?

From 10-2-11 post in the technical section:
VIP 211; 890 HDCP error message; no dvr connected
Trying to tune HBO channel (302), error 890 popped up. Directed to Menu 6-1-3, page 2...showed...Digital Connection: Yes, HDCP: No (with no way to change it).

The 211 is connected to a MonoPrice HDMI switch box (HDX-420X), then to the tv.

Troubleshooting on my own...I took the HDMI cable out of the HDX-420X and connected it directly to the tv...rechecked menu 613 page 2, and HDCP read YES.

I then plugged the 211 back into the HDX-420X where it was before and everything is functioning OK.

Glitch and solution!
------------------------UPDATE-------------------------------------------
This glitch repeated at least 1 more time thereafter. Repeating the above again cleared the error. Vip211 is connected to a Sony KDL 46XBR4 via the HDX-420X HDMI switchbox.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)