HDCP Test Channel 100

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
Got this from Tom at DBStalk. A short test for D* to see some results, and it appears to have 100+ repsonses already, so they've got a pretty big sample already.

Take this more as information than a request to test it.

Here is the information Tom posted, on what DirecTV was looking for:

This thread is to test and identify any HDCP issues there might be with certain HR2x and TV/monitor combinations with HDMI/HDCP.

Background (notes from DIRECTV)
- What is HDCP? HDCP is a form of copy protection that protects digital video and audio content as it travels across either DVI or HDMI interconnect cables. (see HDMI :: Resources :: Knowledge Base (choose Category "HDCP - Content Protection") for details.

- Why is DIRECTV using it? Major movie studios have obligated ALL Pay-TV operators including DIRECTV to incorporate this content protection for PPV and VOD movies. We will see this on all cable and satellite set top boxes very soon.

- How does it work on DIRECTV HD set-top boxes? If a DIRECTV HD STB is connected using an HDMI or DVI cable to an HDTV or HD monitor that doesn't support HDCP content protection, and the programming tuned requires that HDCP content protection be applied, then the STB will not output the programming and display an On Screen Display (OSD).

- How does the HDCP OSD read? "This program includes content protection that restricts viewing on the television attached to your DIRECTV receiver’s HDMI connector."

- Which are the DIRECTV HDCP test channels? HDCP content protection is being applied currently to channels 100, 200, 488 and 500. These are being used by installers today to confirm HDMI/HDCP compatibility between the DIRECTV HD STB and the customer's HDTV.

- Why is this test being done? DIRECTV wants to ensure that the HDCP implementation works for as many TV makes/models as possible. Information on the combinations that do not work will help minimize the number of customers whose HDMI viewing is disrupted when watching PPV and VOD movies.

Test procedure
- Make sure you're watching your DIRECTV HD STB on your HDTV or HD monitor via HDMI or DVI cables. To confirm this connection is working, check that you can watch programming on channel 101.

- Tune channel 100 and report the following:
Do you see the HDCP OSD or do you see regular programming?
Your HD STB model
Your HDTV or HD monitor make & model
- The OSD can be removed by disconnecting the HDMI cable and switching to component cables. If you choose to do this, please comment on your experience in doing this.

- Repeat for all HD STBs and HDTVs that you have set up.

Yes, please report success of seeing programming or failure of seeing the OSD.

I have the HDMI outputs hooked to a 17" Dell WG1700 TV via HDMI -> DVI cable.

Both HR20-700 bring up the copy protection OSD with these TVs.

I have HDMI output hooked to a Dennon AVR 4306 then to my Mitsubishi WD65731. I'm using my HR20-700

I see regular programming on both.. Is there something that Im suppost to see? Nothing is downcoverted.

When you go to channel 100 and see the PPV previews - you are HDCP compliant.

If you see a black screen with a content protection message - you are not, and would have to go with just component if DirecTV ever turns this on for certain channels.

Who want's to take bets on which premium goes first - HBO? Will suck for early-adopters like me who have old HDTVs that aren't compliant.

When you go to channel 100 and see the PPV previews - you are HDCP compliant.

If you see a black screen with a content protection message - you are not, and would have to go with just component if DirecTV ever turns this on for certain channels.

Who want's to take bets on which premium goes first - HBO? Will suck for early-adopters like me who have old HDTVs that aren't compliant.

Thanks, Its nice to know that im HDCP compliant with my current setup. I wasnt sure how things were going to be handled with my surround sound in the mix. Allthough both are HDCP compliant I wasnt sure if the audio reciver was passing the HDCP handshake to the TV.

I am using my HR20-700 and connected to my 60" Pioneer Pro 150FD Plasma,
I see normal programming on all channels listed in the quoted post.

This means that my sets are compliant, but what does that really mean in the long run ?
Are they trying to make HD or digital, content unable to be moved to a computer ?

Jimbo

I am using my HR20-700 and connected to my 60" Pioneer Pro 150FD Plasma,
I see normal programming on all channels listed in the quoted post.

This means that my sets are compliant, but what does that really mean in the long run ?
Are they trying to make HD or digital, content unable to be moved to a computer ?

Jimbo

It means that you are compliant, in the long run it means that you will be able to view the content in its intended format without being downrezzed.

Yes, they are trying to keep you from copying program's to other sources at the programmers request. (I belive)

It means that you are compliant, in the long run it means that you will be able to view the content in its intended format without being downrezzed.

Yes, they are trying to keep you from copying program's to other sources at the programmers request. (I belive)

Watching isn't copying, so cutting off the signal or downrezzing is going too far. However, the providers are to blame, not Directv.

I don't do any copying anyways, but was just curious as I know there are people out there that do Do that.

I would be quite pissed if they decided apon themselves to downrezz a signal when some of use spend high dollar to get the best most accurate picture we can get.

Jimbo

Right now DirecTV is just getting their boxes ready for HDCP in case a provider makes them enable it. Probably when, not if.

Why is this posted in the Cutting Edge Forum? Shoudn't it be in the Main DirecTV Forum, where more people will see it?

I will have to check this out when I get home.

Does this mean that if you connect via component that you are safe, or will they have a different method to downrez component?

Great, just great. Looks like I won't be purchasing any PPV.

The scarry part is that if a premium provider, or even a regular channel push the issue, D* has the capability to enable it.

What is to say that any given channel doesn't decide they want their content locked to view-only devices. Once it starts, it could be a slippery slope.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)