HDCP to Begin on HBO Comedy

Just to point out .. you don't mean to insinuate that the OP (la_due66 in this case) is *not* in-compliant, but that there could be something wrong with the setup that is causing this problem and the user should get dish chat or call into dish to get some help ... right?

Right, I wasn't suggesting that at all. We all know, or should know, that HDMI was designed by committee and a not very good one at that. :)

I was merely pointing out that either D* isn't having the issue, or that my equipment is not kicking an error if they are.

Ok I'm on WA with a 722k, I am no longer able to receive HBO, Sho, Starz etc.. due to a non HDCP TV, WTF?

TV2 is out through a coax. Maybe time to start thinking of switching back to Comcast or go with Directv.

Right, I wasn't suggesting that at all. We all know, or should know, that HDMI was designed by committee and a not very good one at that. :)

I was merely pointing out that either D* isn't having the issue, or that my equipment is not kicking an error if they are.
Sorry.. I've just been a little touchy with comments that could be read both ways.... my apologies.. :)

But issue at hand ... its *almost* comforting that another user gets told by dish to use Component Cables ... the problem though, is that often dish's front line and even second line techs are slow to get word that Dish Marketing, and Dish Engineering have written checks that Tier I/II can't cash... ;)

ie.. both ways.. they say use component because they know component will work? or they suggest component, not knowing that component *wont* work

We've still yet to get information from Dish as to whether this is HDCP applied only to HDMI ... or if its HDCP applied to the Signal before the box.

Says Digital = yes, HDCP = No.. And I know this Mitsu has HDCP. Dish says to hook it up with component.. I say I've had the HDMI port calibrated, paid good money for an HDMI cable and now would have to go and purchase a component cable. Bull$hit is what I say. If Dish is going to pull a stunt like this they #1, should have warned their customers and #2, should have equipment that freaking supports the technology they are implementing. I am sure that the problems folks on this forum are having are just the tip of the iceberg. Way to go Dish. Self inflicted wound. You WILL lose customers and $$ over this boneheaded move.

Well, your TV is certainly HDCP compliant so the problem can be isolated to only the three components. The 622, the TV, or the HDMI cable, either one could be causing the problem. Obviously, the easiest component to rule out is the cable, if you have another one, swap it out. I suppose the TV could be the culprit but I doubt it. I would bet it’s the 622 that has a bad HDMI port, especially if rebooting the 622 doesn't resolve anything. This is just my best guess based on my rather limited experience in these matters.

I have noticed something regarding my setup. I have a 622 feeding a Mitsubishi 65813 that doesn’t have an HDMI port; it has an HDCP compatible DVI port. I’m feeding the TV via component cables but recently connected an HDMI to DVI cable to the TV even though I’m not watching through this cable. The system info says HDCP YES where before without the HDMI to DVI cable, it said NO.
Is it possible that since the 622 is receiving the HDCP “handshake” from the TV, it’s passing 1080 through all its outputs, even the component outputs?

Last edited:
Tried the power reset and no help. I know the HDCP in the Mitsu is working because I have a PC with a BluRay player in it hooked up to a different HDMI port on the TV that works. And yes, I swapped connections between the 2 units and the problem stays with the DVR unit.

As an experiment I unhooked the HDMI and connected the component from my DVD to the 622 and I get 1080i output and can watch the HBO channels just fine. Looked at the 622 HDMI analysis and saw that the connection had dropped. Hooked up the HDMI cable again and I can see in the HDMI analysis that the handshaking for HDCP just ain't happening correctly. It's reading all kinds of nifty info from the set like build date, HDMI version and even the freaking screen size. Interesting... but HDCP fails... I suspect there is an issue with the 622 unit but I am going to try another HDMI cable just for grins..

True Blood season finale last Sunday so if the cable doesn't fix it, I'll just cancel HBO and be done with it until other channels start with this crap.

Good job HBO and Dish...

True Blood season finale last Sunday so if the cable doesn't fix it, I'll just cancel HBO and be done with it until other channels start with this crap.
Good job HBO and Dish...
Just make sure if you cancel .. you tell them why. and I would fight for them *not* to charge a fee for changing the programming. Its not fair that legitimate users, people who *are* paying for content are further harassed because the "technology" is faulty. You've done nothing wrong, and yet you're being made to suffer, etc..

Well, your TV is certainly HDCP compliant so the problem can be isolated to only the three components. The 622, the TV, or the HDMI cable, either one could be causing the problem. Obviously, the easiest component to rule out is the cable, if you have another one, swap it out. I suppose the TV could be the culprit but I doubt it. I would bet it’s the 622 that has a bad HDMI port, especially if rebooting the 622 doesn't resolve anything. This is just my best guess based on my rather limited experience in these matters.

I have noticed something regarding my setup. I have a 622 feeding a Mitsubishi 65813 that doesn’t have an HDMI port; it has an HDCP compatible DVI port. I’m feeding the TV via component cables but recently connected an HDMI to DVI cable to the TV even though I’m not watching through this cable. The system info says HDCP YES where before without the HDMI to DVI cable, it said NO.
Is it possible that since the 622 is receiving the HDCP “handshake” from the TV, it’s passing 1080 through all its outputs, even the component outputs?
It is passing 1080 thru all HD ouptputs. Is it passing RF (480 out too)?

Tried the power reset and no help. I know the HDCP in the Mitsu is working because I have a PC with a BluRay player in it hooked up to a different HDMI port on the TV that works. And yes, I swapped connections between the 2 units and the problem stays with the DVR unit.

As an experiment I unhooked the HDMI and connected the component from my DVD to the 622 and I get 1080i output and can watch the HBO channels just fine. Looked at the 622 HDMI analysis and saw that the connection had dropped. Hooked up the HDMI cable again and I can see in the HDMI analysis that the handshaking for HDCP just ain't happening correctly. It's reading all kinds of nifty info from the set like build date, HDMI version and even the freaking screen size. Interesting... but HDCP fails... I suspect there is an issue with the 622 unit but I am going to try another HDMI cable just for grins..

Good job HBO and Dish...

Since you seem to be fairly new on Satellite guys, you might not have seen threads from past years alluding to 622’s with bad HDMI ports, a known problem. This may be your problem so the advice from others to call Dish support is good advice and probably your next step or you could try one of the DIRT team members that lurk here. They should swap out your DVR.
Canceling HBO might be one option for now but I think all the other movie channels will be doing this eventually.
BTW. My sister has the same TV you have. The picture is outstanding.

Swapped out HDMI cable and same issue. Guarantee you I will let them know why I am canceling HBO. Maybe I can get an upgraded unit out of this. Read on another thread that certain customers are getting a free upgrade to a 922. Hmmm.... I might have a little leverage.

To those asking about the outputs, the component is 1080i and the RF is something I haven't tested. Tired of dealing with it today just going to watch some football.

And no, I am not a newbie here on the forum, I just usually lurk unless I have a problem or something to offer.

So, should I call and ask to cancel HBO first or go through support with the problem first. I've already PM'd with the DIRT guy this morning. He is the one who's solution was to just go with the component cables. Told him I wasn't flushing $200 for a calibration down the drain. The component looked horrible compared to the calibrated HDMI port when I was testing.

Swapped out HDMI cable and same issue. Guarantee you I will let them know why I am canceling HBO. Maybe I can get an upgraded unit out of this. Read on another thread that certain customers are getting a free upgrade to a 922. Hmmm.... I might have a little leverage.

To those asking about the outputs, the component is 1080i and the RF is something I haven't tested. Tired of dealing with it today just going to watch some football.

And no, I am not a newbie here on the forum, I just usually lurk unless I have a problem or something to offer.

Sorry for thinking you were a newbie. I should have paid attention to the fact you have a 622. I don't they've been handing those out for a while now.

Last edited:
It is passing 1080 thru all HD ouptputs. Is it passing RF (480 out too)?

I suppose. I'm not sure what you're asking but on TV2 HBOCY currently has a movie showing. When i look at the movie on the SD version of the channel, the movie is there. When i look at the movie on the HD version of the channel, a box that contains the word "letterbox" briefly appears, but the movie is there also. I know TV2 doesn't get HD output to it but the picture is noticably better from the HD version of the channel. Is there a way somewhere in the menu options to determine what resolution is currently being sent to the TV for the channel one is watching?

I suppose. I'm not sure what you're asking but on TV2 HBOCY currently has a movie showing. When i look at the movie on the SD version of the channel, the movie is there. When i look at the movie on the HD version of the channel, a box that contains the word "letterbox" briefly appears, but the movie is there also. I know TV2 doesn't get HD output to it but the picture is noticably better from the HD version of the channel. Is there a way somewhere in the menu options to determine what resolution is currently being sent to the TV for the channel one is watching?
RF is TV ch out.

Any one here know if D* customers are having this problem? Has HBO implemented HDCP on any other provider besides Dish?

My wife went to watch 'The Sopranos' from HBO that she recorded on her DirecTV DVR and was only able to watch on HDMI, no component or composite.

I suppose they figure that by now the vast majority of viewers that have HD TV's are connected via HDMI and thus is a non-issue for them.

They need to re-calculate again lol.Lots of folks still have SD,others use component,not to mention all the folks that have second outputs that are sd only via coax or composite.

I tested yesterday on my Mits 65908 which has no HDMI at all. It is cabled with component only. All of the HBOs were outputting 1080i....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)