HDCP to Begin on HBO Comedy

If this becomes widespread a converter like those above will be needed for the Slingbox. Slingbox uses component connections, not HDMI. (Or you will have to degrade the picture and use composite) I am unable to see HBO Comedy now over my Slingboxes. I get the pop up telling me it detects my TV is not compliant, yada yada yada

Last edited:
"All pay TV companies must comply with DRM regulations."

This is not technically true. All must comply only because they won't all refuse to comply. If they would, the content providers would have to rejoin the reality-based community or die.

Great insight and so true. It's really Dish, Direct, Comcast, etc etc.. that will let this happen if more channels follow. All they have to do is follow Nancy Reagan's advice, "Just Say No."

Just tuned to HBOCY 307 and watching through component without problem, sys info page 2 says HDCP (no).

HBO and MAX channels have reportedly had DRM flags for a long while now, so what exactly has changed today?

Not seeing any difference.

Well, now it does work. I don't know if they are still tweaking it or something, but now it blinks a couple of times, but does work over Component to the Slingbox....

Maybe dish is justing telling HBO they "complied" with HDCP (for like 5 minutes) and hopes they wont notice, shhhhhhhhhh

I'm thinking that they are regarding the output from the Component Connectors as less than 1080 digital quality and so not causing a digital copyright issue.. I've checked the channel several times in the past 12 hours.. never seeing an issue from Component.

Now, I did disconnect the HDMI cable rather than leave it hooked up and getting signals across.. even in "powered off" state, the receivers will see the connection and will demand an update, and that could cause problems..

I just hope that if they do turn on HDCP and issues arrise it is on a massive scale.. rather than just a few users.. so that dish will an incentive to turn OFF hdcp and *FIX* it before turning it on again!

This morning at least at this time, on the EA, I now get the copyright pop up when using the component connection over Slingbox. However off the WA I do not.

So will this impact the home distribution port (TV2)? People are going to be really pissed if all of a sudden they can't watch channels that they pay EXTRA for on some of their TVs. Talk about a bunch of trouble calls...

I would say yes. Anytime an HDMI is not connected to the receiver (TV, Slingbox, etc...) you will not be able watch a channel if encrypted. The reason those converters in the previous posts work would appear to be because you are using an HDMI connection, it then goes to component, and the information is passed along that satisfies the encryption.

The good news I suppose is you can easily get a box that takes one HDMI output and makes two or more outputs from that one as I now use. In theory you could then connect one HDMI output from that box to your TV, and connect one of the converter boxes from another HDMI output, and use component cables if that type of connection is needed. But for those who use the second SD tuner which does not use HDMI, it would appear some channels would not work at least at this time.

Last edited:
I would say yes. Anytime an HDMI is not connected to the receiver (TV, Slingbox, etc...) you will not be able watch a channel if encrypted. The reason those converters in the previous posts work would appear to be because you are using an HDMI connection, it then goes to component, and the information is passed along that satisfies the encryption.

The good news I suppose is you can easily get a box that takes one HDMI output and makes two or more outputs from that one as I now use. In theory you could then connect one HDMI output from that box to your TV, and connect one of the converter boxes from another HDMI output, and use component cables if that type of connection is needed. But for those who use the second SD tuner which does not use HDMI, it would appear some channels would not work at least at this time.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Dudes who the hell would want to watch a movie more than once, 95% of movies are crap and even HBO repeats its movies ad nausseum

I thought that HDCP was to protect DIGITAL outputs (IE, HDMI). As far as I can tell from reading about digital rights management, HDCP enforcement should not impact the output of content using ANALOG ports. Component is an analog port. Am I wrong????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)